Blue River, Black Sea

Blue River, Black Sea

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Danube is Europe's Amazon. It flows through more countries than any other river on Earth - from the Black Forest in Germany to Europe's farthest fringes, where it joins the Black Sea in Romania. Andrew Eames' journey along its length brings us face to face with the Continent's bloodiest history and its most pressing issues of race and identity.

As he travels - by bicycl...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Transworld Digital (first published March 1st 2009)

James (JD) Dittes
Rafting down the Danube from Germany to the Black Sea is a bucket list goal of mine.

My family originated in Ulm, and I have been to the Ulmer Nabada festival, which features watercraft hardly fit to float from one "Brucke" to another! I jumped at the chance to read Andrew Eames's account of the journey.

Eames began at the Donau's source in Donauschingen by purchasing a bike for the long journey into Hungary. At other points on the journey, he rides a horse through Hungary, hitches a ride on a riv...more
Pauline Mably
I live on the Danube and am passionate about it and I love travel books so what could be better than a book about a journey along the river???? Unfortunately, I never engaged with the writer and he simply found things interesting that I didn't. He is obsessed with royalty and european royal dynasties in and he visits a car plant - a trip i would need to be forced to undertake! His writing style is not exciting and didn't grip me. I don't think we share a sense of humour and I think there were to...more
Gabriela
I enjoyed all the information on the Danube, the historical details added for interest and old perfume. I came to know some things about Romanian history that I was not aware of (though I am Romanian), things that we haven't been taught at school under the communists. And I deeply admire Eames for his courage, dedication to his project and original way of conceiving and putting into practice this project!
I came to like his British humour, his open mindedness, even his stubborness...without whic...more
Feistytiger
Eames decides to travel the Danube by whatever means necessary. Having been to Europe a few times I was curious to see if i could relate to this story and his writing and also learn more about the areas he visited.

He treated this novel more like a history book than a diary which was a bit of a shame. Although his writing style was easy, i wasn't a big fan of the content. I want to hear more about his adventure, what sights he saw and any misadventure. However this was more about this history of...more
Peter Carter
Eames is very consciously in the shadow of Patrick Leigh Fermor. It may well be Fermor that inspired his trip in the first place. He wisely doesn't try to compete with Fermor in terms of prose or cultural analysis. The book however remains an entertaining and often humourous account of his journeys. There is good historical background and the added interest for the reader of describing people and places hugely affected by the momentous changes of the last century. Fermor's world was one teeterin...more
Patrick
An interesting travel log about the author's travels from the source of the Danube in Germany to its end in the Black Sea. Although mostly engaging it does wane quite a bit towards the middle, hence the reason I abandoned the book for quit a long time and also a reason for only 3 stars. Unlike a novel though it's easy to pick up a book like this where you last left off without any problems.
Fiona
I was given this book as a gift as I was going on a trip down the Danube but the author spends a lot of time away from the river and too much time on stories of characters rather than places. This is a lightweight book which feels like a string of Sunday supplement articles put together. For me, disappointing.
Jo
I thought this would be one of those books that I abandon as it started off kind of slow and dull. Once he began his journey though it became more interesting. I wouldn't say it was brilliant but it was pleasant enough to pass the time with.
Christopher
Great book, mixing the pain and the joy of travel with just the right amount of background information.
the Found Girl
the Found Girl marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Geir Ertzgaard
Geir Ertzgaard marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Zhihui Chin
Zhihui Chin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Eames is a travel writer with his articles appearing in the Daily Telegraph and The Times.

He is an authority on Istanbul and the Nile.

He lives in London with his family.
More about Andrew Eames...
The 8:55 to Baghdad Crossing the Shadow Line Four Scottish Journeys: An Identity Rediscovered Insight Guides Southern Spain Cyclamen Essentials, Vol. 2