Start by marking “The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  497 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need" is the ideal resource for everyone who wants to produce writing that is clear, concise, and grammatically excellent. Whether you're creating perfect professional documents, spectacular school papers, or effective personal letters, you'll find this handbook indispensable. From word choice to punctuation to organization, English teach ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need

Íris Santos
Estou chocada com o que paguei por este tesouro: uns míseros US$1,99.
A princípio, pensei que fosse um livro escrito por alguém que juntou algumas informações pela internet, entre as quais, algumas provavelmente incorrectas. Mas estava errada.
Este livro é completo, riquíssimo, muito acessível e, claro, ao preço da chuva. Um verdadeiro achado.

O livro conta com todas as regras da gramática, explicadas de uma forma intuitiva e de fácil compreensão, até mesmo para estrangeiros. Fala-nos das utilidade
Lilo
Feb 09, 2016 Lilo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one because the title is fraudulent
Shelves: grammar
I am an ESL writer, and I bought and read this book a few years ago. I found it utterly disappointing and the title a clear fraud.
Jana
Jan 18, 2016 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Helpful and informative with regards to all parts of American English, either for people who want to work on their writing skills or to better understand why their favorite authors are so successful.
I liked the light tone the author used to communicate information on a topic I find important, but extremely boring. The sections I found most interesting and helpful were on commonly confused words and avoiding common errors. The reason for three stars is this is not the only grammar book you'll ever need... far from it. I would've liked more examples on the points being discussed and there were a few errors/contradictory information scattered throughout the book.
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 06, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s pretty rare that a book lives up to a title like The Only Grammar Book You’ll Ever Need, but Susan Thurman’s book does. Is it the best grammar book ever? No, that would be The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed by Karen Elizabeth Gordon, but, in truth, if you didn’t have any other grammar guide, you’d be, for the most part, eloquent and error-free.

Now, if there were only a guide to producing good ideas about which to write.
Arun
Aug 03, 2015 Arun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This may not be the only grammar book you'll ever need; though it should be one of them. Lighthearted in tone and authoritative in advice, it rekindled my latent interest in English grammar. The chapters are organized based on the most important aspects of grammar the author felt needed guidance but the last few chapters failed to capitalize on an almost perfect rendering of the first two-thirds of the book. Also, no exercises at chapter end for a grammar book! Anyways, can be used as a short re ...more
Arun Mahendrakar
I vaguely remember the grammar lessons from my school days. This book helped me recall those dusty memories and of course taught the other rules of writing. The book also uses simple and easy-to-understand language.

The 'commonly confused words' section in the beginning of the book goes like a game you can play with yourself to assess your vocabulary.

I play this mobile app called 'Elevate', which helps you get better at English and Mathematics. The rules mentioned in the book will definitely help
Kristi
Sep 06, 2012 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. It was a grammar book, but it did explain various parts of speech and how to use them fairly well. I don't think there is a way to talk about parts of speech without making it sound like chaos, but in general thumbs up to this book. I'm not sure it's the only grammar book I'll ever need, but it was one that I'm glad I read.
Lonny Lee
Mar 19, 2014 Lonny Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a life saver for all those that are looking to improve on their grammar! It is comprehensive, easy to use, clearly formatted and no nonsense. I love the bullets, the examples are easy to understand; and although, it has very few exercises, I found that the small size of the book makes it easier to flip through and reference back quickly! Big bonus points for the easily misused words, located at the beginning of chapter one. I also must add, that although, grammar is normally a dull ...more
Danny
May 11, 2016 Danny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad -- although this certainly isn't the only grammar book I'll ever need! There weren't enough examples, and the book contained a number of errors.
Gary
Feb 26, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed another grammar book. But it was great. Grammar book junkies never don't need no more grammar. :D
Ryan Dejonghe
Mar 10, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE ONLY GRAMMAR BOOK YOU’LL EVER NEED lives us to its name: it may actually be the only grammar book you’ll ever need. It is by far the most comprehensive and concise book on grammar that I’ve read, so far. The book is practically pocket size at 7 inches tall and 5.4 inches wide, yet I was surprised at how much content was shoved inside.

While occasionally slipping in some light humor, the authors stick to their succinct approach: offering a definition with bolded terms, followed by charted exam
Josh Singer
Sep 30, 2012 Josh Singer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a guidebook to the esoteric language of grammar, I thought it was a relatively satisfying read. The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment would be a dry read for most people, but I found it extraordinarily meaningful because I never properly learned the rules of grammar. The book gave meaning and explanation to the most mundane rules; some of these rules were pronoun antecedent agreement, dangling modifiers, prepositional phrases, but there were m ...more
Tiffany
Jan 31, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grammar has never been my strong suit, but this book does a fantastic job of explaining the whole hot mess in terms anyone can understand. It really is the only grammar book you'll ever need!
Loving
Mar 27, 2015 Loving rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfection

This book is a must-have reference for anyone writing. High school to professional-this book provides clear, concise information that will improve writing.
Audra York
May 27, 2015 Audra York rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference. Sits next to my Strunk & White book. A must have!
Carmel Elizabeth
I was required to read this for a school class.

Putting all my distaste for grammar rules in general aside, this book wasn't generally bad per se. It was dreadful dull, though, and all the grammar language and rules got me so twisted up that for a bit I wanted to renounce grammar completely. Somehow I managed to make it through (deadlines are extremely threatening, you know...).

This book is for someone who does not understand grammar. I'm pretty sure I've got the basic concept of the thing ;P an
Ogoke Ignatius
Vuong Loi
Aug 05, 2014 Vuong Loi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!
Jacob
May 08, 2013 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was actually written in a way that made reading about grammar enjoyable. It was a helpful aid for learning all of the odd little rules that you aren't taught in school. I am also terrified of having made a grammatical error in this review.
Jared Pangier
3.5/5

The only grammar book you'll ever need...unless you're an English teacher.

While this was a good review, I was hoping for a bit more freshness.
Oh yeah, this is a book on grammar! Silly me.
Rudy
Apr 24, 2008 Rudy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The many book me came across that completely lives up to its name? This book gots me through my "Professional Editing" classess.
Omar
Jun 17, 2015 Omar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent reference tool.
Sami Albanna
Jan 02, 2014 Sami Albanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good reference to keep handy.
Shanna
Jun 17, 2008 Shanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this encompasses most grammar rules, it is a dry read and can be hard to get through.
Bre L.
Bre L. is currently reading it
Sunai
Sunai is currently reading it
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Meghan Dee
Meghan Dee rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
  • How to Write a Fiction Novel in 30 Days
  • Line by Line: How to Edit Your Own Writing
  • Rhetorical Grammar: Grammatical Choices, Rhetorical Effects
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Painless Writing
  • Painless Grammar
  • 100 Ways to Improve Your Writing
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary
  • Style: An Anti-Textbook
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Nutrition Made Clear
  • The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
  • Merriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder
  • Legal Writing in Plain English: A Text with Exercises
  • The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
  • What Your Childhood Memories Say about You: And What You Can Do about It
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“I before e, Except after c, Or when sounded as a, As in neighbor or weigh.” 0 likes
“aggravate, annoy: If you mean pester or irritate, you want annoy. Aggravate means exaggerate or make worse. Steven was annoyed when his boss aggravated the situation by talking to the press.” 0 likes