Start by marking “The Scoop” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Scoop

Fern Michaels

The Scoop (The Godmothers #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,349 ratings  ·  139 reviews
The debut of a wonderful new series, " The Scoop " is #1 "New York Times "bestselling author Fern Michaels's introduction to The Godmothers, four unforgettable women who are about to get a whole new lease on life. . .Teresa "Toots" Amelia Loudenberry has crammed a great deal of living--not to mention eight much-loved husbands--into her varied and rewarding life. Once again ...more
Unknown Binding, 320 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Zebra Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Scoop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scoop

Cory
I don't usually read Fern Michaels, and this book reminded me why. It's not that it was bad, it's just that it was . . . lame. She included details that were off. I don't really care that the character washed her hair twice with grapefruit scented shampoo and then used a hyacinth-scented body wash. Unless this is important to the story, I really don't give a rat's ass.

All in all, the characters were just too beautiful and too rich and too kicky and too wonderful. It's like the book was written b
Jeanie
After the fact, I see that this novel is the beginning of a series. I LOVE series but this book.... it just ended with all kinds of strings left dangling. I was listening to it on CD and had no alternative but to keep listening; had it been a traditional book I would have put it down. I don't like the characters. I didn't like the reader. WHY do readers think they have to be radio-style actors? If a character screeches, the author usually lets you know with words, the reader doesn't need to grat ...more
Patricia Solla
This book is the beginning of another series from the author. This introduction starts out slow but finishes up quite nicely. The introduction of the cast of characters is quite lengthy and involved but I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Thomas
This is my first Fern Michaels book and I only read one chapter before giving it up. I really disliked the tone of the book towards marriage and relationships. It might turn out to be very good, but I don't want to endure the torture to find out.
Barb
Either I am very confused on my authors or she has changed her writing style. I thought this was very disjointed and flitted between a couple of different stories and just was not pleasant to read. I think I used to like her books a lot.
Jessica Kelishes
I enjoyed this book a lot but it seemed like it went by fast. I was disappointed with the ending and so I had to purchase a TON of them! That's ok because I enjoyed it. I cant wait till I'm done and I can read it again.
Jean Galloway
i read the whole series and while a lot was corny i still loved each book including the latest one just out recently only because i do LOVE Fern Michaels
Kathy Reinhart
I am surprised that such a recognizable name in the writing industry, with so many 'hits' under her belt put out something like this. The story that was told could have been told in 100 pages or less. There was so much 'fluff', about her money, their individual issues, her view on husbands and 'events'.... It bored me to death. It came across as a poorly done version of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I got the feeling that that was the camaraderie she was aiming for, and missed. Instead of being funny, i ...more
Carolyn
What an absolute riot!!! Sheer fantasy but what great fun! So nice to see a smart mouth sixty plus year old woman.
Cheryl
This series - read them all - was a lot of fun! Grandmothers/ Godmothers and great friends woven in to this series!
Alex
Love the Godmother series.
Chris
Michele
This book is the first in the Godmother series.

Toots Loudenberry is a larger than life woman. After having worked through 8 different husbands and amassed a wealthy fortune, she finds herself single again and looking to do something with her money and her freedom. Toots' daughter, Abby, is a writer for a gossip rag, which Toots loves to read every chance she can get. Fate steps in with the help of a boss who is neck deep in gambling debts and looking to sell the newspaper. Toots, along with Abby
Melanie Adkins
Toots had just buried her eighth and last husband. She didn't need a man to make her life complete. While in her ten days of mourning, she began to wonder how she could make some changes to her life. She decided to call her oldest and dearest friends for a visit/conference about their lives. Mavis is the idea woman. Sophie is the philanderer. Ida, well Ida is an OCD photographer. Toots, she has the finances to make anything possible. They each have areas they need to work on and Toots is there ...more
Kathy
Kylee
I was a little disappointed in this book. I've recently become a fan of Fern Michaels, and this book fell short for me. I think that the story moved a little slowly, and I was sooo annoyed with how it ended. I'm torn, because I want to know what happens, but I really don't know that I want to put myself through another snore like this.
Ferne
What a difference between the women friends in "The Book Club" by Mary Alice Monroe and "The Scoop". Without a doubt, I want to spend more time with Teresa "Toots" Amelia Loudenberry, Sophie, Mavis and Ida. Fun, fun, fun!!! This is the first of a series entitled "The Godmothers" and I can't wait to read the other titles.
Dianne Turnbow
Fast read!

I used to read other of this author's books,but I guess I am getting to be an old fuddy-buddy. l Don' t like the off color language even though the persons l that used it undoubtedly would have done so.
Chris
This was a wonderful light drama/mystery/romance story with mature women. The main character, "Toots", has buried her 8th husband and is ready for a new adventure to brighten up her life. Since she has more money than she could spend in her lifetime, she calls on her 3 best friends, Sophie, Mavis, and Ida, who are also her daughter Abby's Godmothers...yes, all 3!

Abby works for a gossip paper which is going under so Toots decides, since she is an avid fan, to buy the paper anonymously. Trying to
Beverly
This was an entertaining fast read. It's the story of a mother's good intentions. Yes, she interferes in her daughter's life, but only with the best of intentions. It was a really good light read.
Dorothy Timm
I really like Fern Michaels and this book was no exception. A few things were left unresolved, but I think there are going to be more books about this group. I enjoy reading books where the main characters are a little more "mature".
Deborah Potter
Okay for light reading, but I did not find any of the characters endearing, and the plot was thin. This was my first Fern Michaels book, and I doubt I will bother with any more.
Deloris  Mercer
Thanks

Thank you for a good read. Great characters and the setting is wonderful. Always liked to read this author. Not disappointed here.
Patricia Johnson
Four friends aged 65+-all widows-lead by TOOTS who just buried her 8th husband calls her friends together to buy the gossip newspaper her daughter works for.
Debbie D
I think overall the plot for this book was good for a Summer beach read but the book itself wasn't that good. The conversations between the women are not realistic, the author drowns us with over details repeatedly through out the book. Now I know this is Book 1 of a series but the book just ends. Just ends as you are turning the page to finish the chapter you are reading and there is no more.

I purchased this book on sale for 99 cents which is the only reason I did not return it to Amazon. Don't
Angie
It was okay. Somewhat entertaining.
Jeri Repp
I swear this was written about me and my friends in the future!
Arlene
Firzt book in a series! Toots and her three friends Sophie, Mavis and Ida get together. Toots daughter works for a newspaper that is going up for sale & she's in danger of losing her job. Wanting to help out, Toots, being a billionaire, buys the business and doesnt tell her daughter. There's mystery, suspense, lots of comedy and even some romance! Great book and more to come. I believe there is 5 or 6 books in the series already. So the story continues even after you finish this one!
Joyce Betz
I was looking for a light book, about mature woman. I found it in this book. It was light, funny, made me laugh out loud a couple of times. This book ended with some loose ends, which made me look for the second one in the series. Although it was not terrible realistic, (one of the women has more money than she can spend in a lifetime and has buried 8 husbands)several times I thought I saw one or two of my friends in these feisty woman who were embarking on a new adventures in their lives.
Becky
I didn't like the ending. It left me hanging and I don't like that. I know this is the first of a series, but I feel like each book needs to be a complete work on it's own and not depend on the next one to answer the questions that come up in the first. No wonder I got it free for my kindle...they are counting on me buying the next one (and the one after that) because I'm dying to find out how it all turns out. Sorry, but I'm just not that curious or interested.
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Orchard Valley Brides: Norah\Lone Star Lovin'
  • Temptation
  • Lover's Leap (Eternity Springs, #4)
  • By Starlight
  • Merry Ex-Mas (Life in Icicle Falls, #2)
  • Love a la Carte (prequel to "the orchard")
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Twilight Whispers
  • Lover in the Rough
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I ...more
More about Fern Michaels...
Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood, #1) Payback (Sisterhood, #2) Vendetta (Sisterhood, #3) The Jury (Sisterhood, #4) Sweet Revenge (Sisterhood #5)