Start by marking “Siege of Heaven” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Siege of Heaven

Tom Harper

Siege of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  11 reviews
August, 1098. After countless battles and sieges, the surviving soldiers of the first crusade are at last within reach of their ultimate goal: Jerusalem. But rivalries fester and new enemies are massing against them in the Holy Land.

Demetrios Askiates, the Emperor's spy, has had enough of the crusade's violence and hypocrisy. He longs to return home. But when a routine dip
Published April 30th 2010 by Cornerstone Digital (first published August 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Siege of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siege of Heaven

Peter Timbrell
Ok, I finally finished "Siege of Heaven". I can see that the subject could be challenging, particularly as the documented historical detail relating to the crusades is somewhat scarce, and the accuracy of its recording may be questionable.

I did find this novel hard work. The characters were not particularly well constructed, particularly the protagonist Demetrios. I struggled to picture the man let alone relate to him. The story didn't flow for me either, again that could well have been down to
Speesh
Blimey! That took a long time. A long time finishing and a long time starting to do anything. When I was (hurrah!) done, all I could think was- it came, it was there and now it’s gone again. And it felt to like it got longer each time I picked it up.

I really couldn’t see what the point of the book was. I couldn’t see what the aim of the book or the story was. Usually it’s fairly clear from the start, or from the blurb on the inside, or the back, so you’re in the frame of mind to measure it again
P.D.R. Lindsay

Harper writes about that charade of religious fervour, the First Crusade of 1096-8 in all its ghastly violence and hypocrisy. The reader is spared nothing of the petty rivalries between the various Dukes and warlords, the infighting and power struggles which is all the Crusade turns out to be for these men. Harper's research is impressive. I learnt a great deal about the shenanigans of the last of the Holy Roman Empire as the main character, a Greek, Demetrios Askiates, is the Emperor's represen
Ghost14
A very high and rich depiction of the trilogy's end. Lacks the mystery of the first part (mosaic of shadows) and the political aura of teh second (knights of the cross). But does make up for it by adapting a straight in-your-face narrative overtone of the final seige of teh holy city.

The theme involved is more military than political or suspense in the third part. Lags a bit towards the end but picks up pace again towards teh gory climax. An interesting read and one that adds variety to the dive
Gary
'Siege of Heaven' is the third book in this series following 'The Mosaic of Shadows' and 'Knights of the Cross'. I recommend this series and other books by this author including 'the Reluctant Adventures of Lieutenant Martin Jerrold' trilogy beginning with 'The Blighted Cliffs' that were published under his real name, Edwin Thomas.
Tapley
Once again, I think I would have appreciate this book more if I had started from the beginning of the series. As it was I found the story a bit tricky to get into in the very beginning, but it drew me in as the story went along. In the end though, it was entertaining but not brilliant, and I just put it down.
Chris Westlake
A good end to the trilogy, if a little meandering in places. Disappointed that Demetrios left behind the detective aspect of first two books and just became another soldier. Would recommend the Trilogy and will look for more Tom Harper
Douglas
The language is very good, but if you're looking for a historic thriller, this is not it; it's more an insight (true and fictional) of the first crusade.
Winnie
Really enjoyed this trilogy - loved the characters and the writing flowed and was quick and easy to read which was all I wanted from this set of books.
Rick Brindle
A good, readable book, giving a modern take on the sack of Jerusalem. Not sure if I'd read it again, but definitely worth taking on holiday.
bleeding fangs
fantastic, I really felt living the story
Omar Reyes M
Omar Reyes M is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
hunter
hunter marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Katerina Stournara
Katerina Stournara marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Patricia Mick
Patricia Mick marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Hanan
Hanan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Pauline McDonald
Pauline McDonald marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Livia
Livia marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Brendan Cosgrove
Brendan Cosgrove marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Jeff Thomas
Jeff Thomas marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Ghosts
  • Devil's Dream: A Novel About Nathan Bedford Forrest
  • Eagle (Saladin, #1)
  • Northfield
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Mother of the Believers
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Not for Glory (The Douglas Trilogy #3)
  • Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • Transgression: A Novel of Love and War
  • Hitler's Niece
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • Claudius (Rufus, #2)
  • Empire (Roma, #2)
  • Promise Bridge
  • The Kingdom at the End of the Road (The Crusades Trilogy, #3)
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...

Demetrios Askiates (3 books)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • Knights of the Cross
The Lost Temple The Book of Secrets The Lazarus Vault The Mosaic of Shadows The Orpheus Descent: A Novel