Blank-133x176
Siege of Heaven

Tom Harper

Siege of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  9 reviews
August, 1098. After countless battles and sieges, the surviving soldiers of the first crusade are at last within reach of their ultimate goal: Jerusalem. But rivalries fester and new enemies are massing against them in the Holy Land.

Demetrios Askiates, the Emperor's spy, has had enough of the crusade's violence and hypocrisy. He longs to return home. But when a routine dip...more
Published April 30th 2010 by Cornerstone Digital (first published August 5th 2006)

P.d.r. Lindsay

Harper writes about that charade of religious fervour, the First Crusade of 1096-8 in all its ghastly violence and hypocrisy. The reader is spared nothing of the petty rivalries between the various Dukes and warlords, the infighting and power struggles which is all the Crusade turns out to be for these men. Harper's research is impressive. I learnt a great deal about the shenanigans of the last of the Holy Roman Empire as the main character, a Greek, Demetrios Askiates, is the Emperor's represen...more
Ghost14
A very high and rich depiction of the trilogy's end. Lacks the mystery of the first part (mosaic of shadows) and the political aura of teh second (knights of the cross). But does make up for it by adapting a straight in-your-face narrative overtone of the final seige of teh holy city.

The theme involved is more military than political or suspense in the third part. Lags a bit towards the end but picks up pace again towards teh gory climax. An interesting read and one that adds variety to the dive...more
Gary
'Siege of Heaven' is the third book in this series following 'The Mosaic of Shadows' and 'Knights of the Cross'. I recommend this series and other books by this author including 'the Reluctant Adventures of Lieutenant Martin Jerrold' trilogy beginning with 'The Blighted Cliffs' that were published under his real name, Edwin Thomas.
Tapley
Once again, I think I would have appreciate this book more if I had started from the beginning of the series. As it was I found the story a bit tricky to get into in the very beginning, but it drew me in as the story went along. In the end though, it was entertaining but not brilliant, and I just put it down.
Chris Westlake
A good end to the trilogy, if a little meandering in places. Disappointed that Demetrios left behind the detective aspect of first two books and just became another soldier. Would recommend the Trilogy and will look for more Tom Harper
Douglas
The language is very good, but if you're looking for a historic thriller, this is not it; it's more an insight (true and fictional) of the first crusade.
Winnie
Really enjoyed this trilogy - loved the characters and the writing flowed and was quick and easy to read which was all I wanted from this set of books.
Rick Brindle
A good, readable book, giving a modern take on the sack of Jerusalem. Not sure if I'd read it again, but definitely worth taking on holiday.
bleeding fangs
fantastic, I really felt living the story
John B
John B marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Trang
Trang marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Antonis Yannopoulos
Antonis Yannopoulos marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Lynne Moses
Lynne Moses marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
James Vincent
James Vincent marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Carina Rynders
Carina Rynders marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Hannah Hallett
Hannah Hallett marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Transgression: A Novel of Love and War
  • Northfield
  • Jerusalem
  • Devil's Dream: A Novel About Nathan Bedford Forrest
  • Mother of the Believers
  • The Kingdom at the End of the Road (The Crusades Trilogy, #3)
  • The Templar's Code (Caedmon Aisquith, #2)
  • The People's Queen
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • Your Sad Eyes And Unforgettable Mouth
  • Empire Rising
  • Young Bloods (Revolution, #1)
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre...more
More about Tom Harper...
The Lost Temple The Book of Secrets The Lazarus Vault The Mosaic of Shadows Knights of the Cross