Start by marking “Siege of Heaven” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Siege of Heaven

Tom Harper

Siege of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates #3)

August, 1098. After countless battles and sieges, the surviving soldiers of the first crusade are at last within reach of their ultimate goal: Jerusalem. But rivalries fester and new enemies are massing against them in the Holy Land.

Demetrios Askiates, the Emperor's spy, has had enough of the crusade's violence and hypocrisy. He longs to return home. But when a routine dip
Published April 30th 2010 by Cornerstone Digital (first published August 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Siege of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siege of Heaven

Markus
The Army of God marches towards the Holy City and in the midst of intrigue, diplomacy of murder, Demetrios Askiates is caught up in the storm of the First Crusade one last time…

Siege of Heaven concludes the story of Demetrios Askiates, the unveiler of mysteries, and his journey alongside the crusaders towards Jerusalem. In the end, this was probably the weakest book in the series, but it was only slightly less enjoyable than the last two.

One particularly interesting part of this book was the set
Keith Currie
This is a long, perhaps too long, novel on the final stages of the first crusade, i.e. from the capture of Antioch to the siege and capture and sack of Jerusalem. I think the hero, Demetrios Askiates, is too feeble, an investigator who has rings run around him by most of the other characters and the narrative is too contrived in places, but overall I found the book a diverting enough read. For this sort of historical hokum the novels of Pip Vaughn-Hughes are hard to beat.
Speesh
Blimey! That took a long time. A long time finishing and a long time starting to do anything. When I was (hurrah!) done, all I could think was- it came, it was there and now it’s gone again. And it felt to like it got longer each time I picked it up.

I really couldn’t see what the point of the book was. I couldn’t see what the aim of the book or the story was. Usually it’s fairly clear from the start, or from the blurb on the inside, or the back, so you’re in the frame of mind to measure it again
Peter Timbrell
Ok, I finally finished "Siege of Heaven". I can see that the subject could be challenging, particularly as the documented historical detail relating to the crusades is somewhat scarce, and the accuracy of its recording may be questionable.

I did find this novel hard work. The characters were not particularly well constructed, particularly the protagonist Demetrios. I struggled to picture the man let alone relate to him. The story didn't flow for me either, again that could well have been down to
P.D.R. Lindsay

Harper writes about that charade of religious fervour, the First Crusade of 1096-8 in all its ghastly violence and hypocrisy. The reader is spared nothing of the petty rivalries between the various Dukes and warlords, the infighting and power struggles which is all the Crusade turns out to be for these men. Harper's research is impressive. I learnt a great deal about the shenanigans of the last of the Holy Roman Empire as the main character, a Greek, Demetrios Askiates, is the Emperor's represen
Ghost14
Dec 28, 2010 Ghost14 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: periodical
A very high and rich depiction of the trilogy's end. Lacks the mystery of the first part (mosaic of shadows) and the political aura of teh second (knights of the cross). But does make up for it by adapting a straight in-your-face narrative overtone of the final seige of teh holy city.

The theme involved is more military than political or suspense in the third part. Lags a bit towards the end but picks up pace again towards teh gory climax. An interesting read and one that adds variety to the dive
Gary
Oct 22, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Siege of Heaven' is the third book in this series following 'The Mosaic of Shadows' and 'Knights of the Cross'. I recommend this series and other books by this author including 'the Reluctant Adventures of Lieutenant Martin Jerrold' trilogy beginning with 'The Blighted Cliffs' that were published under his real name, Edwin Thomas.
Tapley
Once again, I think I would have appreciate this book more if I had started from the beginning of the series. As it was I found the story a bit tricky to get into in the very beginning, but it drew me in as the story went along. In the end though, it was entertaining but not brilliant, and I just put it down.
Satyabrata Mishra
Perhaps the best piece of Historical fiction I have ever picked, Siege of Heaven recounts the inception of the war between the Fatimids and the army of God, over Jerusalem, a war which is going on even today...
Chris Westlake
Apr 27, 2013 Chris Westlake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good end to the trilogy, if a little meandering in places. Disappointed that Demetrios left behind the detective aspect of first two books and just became another soldier. Would recommend the Trilogy and will look for more Tom Harper
bleeding fangs
Feb 19, 2013 bleeding fangs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic, I really felt living the story
Winnie
Mar 15, 2012 Winnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this trilogy - loved the characters and the writing flowed and was quick and easy to read which was all I wanted from this set of books.
Rick Brindle
Mar 12, 2013 Rick Brindle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good, readable book, giving a modern take on the sack of Jerusalem. Not sure if I'd read it again, but definitely worth taking on holiday.
PaleHorsemen
A worthy end of the trilogy. Still it left some bitter feeling. Probably because nothing changes and people continue fighting because of their religions...
Liesl Swardt
I did not read the preceding books, but could pick up the story seamlessly. Very powerful and very sad.
Douglas
Aug 10, 2011 Douglas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The language is very good, but if you're looking for a historic thriller, this is not it; it's more an insight (true and fictional) of the first crusade.
Eleni Kyrimi
Eleni Kyrimi rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Nigel Jarvis
Nigel Jarvis rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Shan Shwe
Shan Shwe rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Constance Lapsati
Constance Lapsati rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Basilis Pavlou
Basilis Pavlou rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Scott Moore
Scott Moore rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Donna Devos
Donna Devos rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2017
Vchandri
Vchandri rated it did not like it
May 10, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Magda
Magda rated it it was ok
May 11, 2017
Vedran Bileta
Vedran Bileta rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Northfield
  • House of Ghosts
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
  • Transgression
  • Devil's Dream
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • Mother of the Believers
  • Not for Glory (The Douglas Trilogy #3)
  • The Babylonian Codex (Jax Alexander Mystery #3)
  • The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)
  • Eagle (Saladin, #1)
  • Hitler's Niece
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Promise Bridge
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...

Demetrios Askiates (3 books)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Knights of the Cross (Demetrios Askiates, #2)

“If I learned one thing that day, it was that Peter Bartholomew, Arnulf, even Saint John the Divine had all been wrong. The world did not have to end with ten-horned beasts and dragons, angels and fantastical monsters. The prophets who foretold those things had succumbed to the extravagance of their imaginations, and it had played them false. Nothing on earth could be so terrible as men.” 0 likes