Start by marking “The Cockney Angel” as Want to Read:
The Cockney Angel

The Cockney Angel

Eighteen-year-old Irene Angel lives with her parents in a tiny room above the shop where her crippled mother ekes out a living selling pickles and sauces, whilst her charming but feckless father Billy gambles away what little money they do manage to earn. And it is all Irene can do to keep the family together.

Billy's addiction soon leads him into trouble. Despite having be
Published November 10th 2009 by Cornerstone Digital (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Cockney Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cockney Angel

Daniel Lee
Mar 13, 2010 Daniel Lee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Irene Angel is a girl who is selling pickles and sauces in the streets of London. The general plot is: Dad gets in trouble, Irene gets Dad. Dad gets in trouble, but get money with gambling. Dad gets trouble BIG time, Irene STILL gets dad while loving a "copper" who put dad in jail and facing the mean Sykes gang.

I was almost resady to quit this, but for the sake of book reports, I continued. Somethings are weird about this book.
1. It's corny
2. There is no proper romance.
3. Its too long to bother
Molly Guy
Mar 24, 2011 Molly Guy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved, loved, loved.
I hope somewhere there was a girl in London who was exactly the same as this one.
Feb 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cockney saga brill loved it couldnt put down
Tracey
May 22, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i quite enioyed this book. Irene was a great character .
Marguerite J W White
I loved this book with its authenticity of some words I never knew and with the lives of the people in that world,I loved the humour and the compassion of the people the romance and some of the darkness surrounding the underworld of gangs,The hardness of some of the gentry and business people but also the gentleness of some people and kindness,The way that men were to women but also the way that it portrayed in nice surroundings the essex countryside in which I relish,I loved everything about th ...more
Steph Dinning
Jan 13, 2016 Steph Dinning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book and I liked Irene as she was a strong willed character who wasn't pathetic when it came to men,like a lot of girls are in books from centuries ago.
It was a good enough interesting plot with a few other good characters tho it was obvious how the story would go and it was a bit dry in places.
The only irritating thing was Irene's belief in her fathers innocence,yes he was to a certain degree but really he did bring it all on himself n she wouldn't hear a bad word said agai
Andrea
Apr 19, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant love dilly court books loved this story Irene father is a gambler spends all his money and gets involved in the Sykes who are dangerous put this book as another favorite's love a good story read this book.
Gill
Mar 31, 2013 Gill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the first two-thirds of this book but started to lose interest towards the end, However I thought it was a good read although not as good as some of her other books.
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Kim LOCKHART
Kim LOCKHART rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Carole Rodgers
Carole Rodgers rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Emma Woodhouse
Jan 02, 2015 Emma Woodhouse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and brought a sense of happiness at he end
Gloria Cresswell
Gloria Cresswell rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
logan grant
logan grant rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
MRS LISA HAXBY
MRS LISA HAXBY rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Carol Burdekin
Carol Burdekin rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Liz Yeo
Liz Yeo rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Yvonne Clover-Lambert
Yvonne Clover-Lambert rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Fatima
Fatima rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2013
Hanna
Hanna rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Sparkles11
Sparkles11 rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Jill Evans
Jill Evans rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
jean simister
jean simister rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
Samantha Shergold-brown
Samantha Shergold-brown rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Crucible of Secrets (Alexander Seaton, #3)
  • Soldier Girl
  • Nobody's Girl
  • Tulip Girl
  • The Camelot Code
  • Honeyville
  • Orphans of War
  • I Do Not Sleep
  • The King's Spy (Thomas Hill, #1)
  • Doctor Who 50 : the essential guide
  • A Mistletoe Kiss
  • The Memory of Midnight
  • The Saffron Trail
  • Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress
  • The Shopkeeper’s Daughter
  • The Salem Witch Society
  • Ruby
Dilly Court grew up in North-east London and began her career in television, writing scripts for commercials. She is married with two grown-up children and four grandchildren, and now lives in Dorset on the beautiful Jurassic Coast with her husband. She is the author of seventeen novels and also writes under the name of Lily Baxter.
More about Dilly Court...