Start by marking “Georges Perec: A Life in Words” as Want to Read:
Georges Perec: A Life in Words

Georges Perec: A Life in Words

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"It's hard to see how anyone is ever going to better this User's Manual to the life of Georges Perec" - "Gilbert Adair, Sunday Times"

Winner of the Prix Goncourt for Biography, 1994

George Perec (1936-82) was one of the most significant European writers of the twentieth century and undoubtedly the most versatile and innovative writer of his generation.

David Bellos's comprehe
Published November 30th 2010 by Vintage Digital (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Georges Perec, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georges Perec

Declan
It's a while since I read this, but I still regard it as one of the best biographies I have read. It is as good as Ellmann's biography of Joyce but, for me, it left me with a feeling that, not only did I know a lot more about this great, humane and hugely inventive writer, but that I would love to have known him. I felt terrible, and genuine, sadness at his death. Such an amazing man, so complex and so amusing. For anyone who likes Life: A User's Manual, or any of Perec's other books, this is an ...more
Christopher
This is David Bellos's biography of the madcap 20th-century French writer best known for his massive novel La Vie Mode d’Emploi and the constrained writing masterpiece (the letter "e" is never used in hundreds of pages) La Disparition. Published in 1993, this was the first biography of Perec in any language and its import can be seen its warm reception in Perec's native France as in the English-speaking world.

Bellos based the biography on archival research and on conversations with the writer's
Lanny
Feb 14, 2008 Lanny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Perec fans

I believe page 203 in this book should rank
among the classics in literary biographies.
It is a discussion of Perec's shoes, and specifically
the detail of Perec's well-loved

Lobbs which can only be bought in a single boutique
on the Boulevard Saint-Germain.

Named after the Comte no doubt, in his
joyous wandering, must have good footwear..

Caitlin
Again, "current" is entirely relative. I started reading this in about 1994, I think? So it's been on pause for a very long time. Mostly because it was so hard to carry around and other things took over. Now it and its bookmark are sitting in a box in a storage space in Sydney. And of course now I want to get back to reading it. Heigh ho. One day.
David R.  Godine
"An overwhelmingly human portrait, as vivid as it is complex, not only of Perec but of...Paris intellectual life in the 60s and 70s."
— Richard Eder, Los Angeles Times
Adam Floridia

Dave Bellos : Georges Perec :: Brian Boyd : Vladimir Nabokov

More details to follow. (hopefully)
Penny
Perec applied for a library position held by Robbe-Grillet? Fascinating! (He was not hired for said job, btw.)
Aidan Mcglashan
Aidan Mcglashan marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Tessa
Tessa marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
M
M added it
Oct 19, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Alex
Alex added it
Nov 02, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Ethan
Ethan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Ambrose Miles
Ambrose Miles marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Mehmet Erkurt
Mehmet Erkurt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
CG
CG marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
David Bellos is the director of the Program in Translation and Intercultural Communication at Princeton University, where he is also a professor of French and comparative literature. He has won many awards for his translations of Georges Perec, Ismail Kadare, and others, including the Man Booker International Translator’s Award. He also received the Prix Goncourt for George Perec: A Life in Words.
More about David Bellos...
Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything Balzac: Old Goriot Jacques Tati: His life and art Balzac: La Cousine Bette Romain Gary: A Tall Story