Start by marking “Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust: A new history in the words of the men and women who survived” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Forgotten Voices of Th...
Lyn Smith

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Following the success of "Forgotten Voices of the Great War, "Lyn Smith visits the oral accounts preserved in the Imperial War Museum Sound Archive, to reveal the sheer complexity and horror of one of human history's darkest hours.

The great majority of Holocaust survivors suffered considerable physical and psychological wounds, yet the even in this dark time of human histo
Published September 15th 2010 by Ebury Digital (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgotten Voices of The Holocaust

I have NOT yet read this book. I've only just 'dipped' into it.

So, this is a sort of PREview rather than a true review.

I knew one of the contributors or 'voices', the late Kurt Klappholz.

He was a friend of our family and one of my father's colleagues. In summer when his shirt sleeves were rolled up or when we were on holiday with him, I remember, as a child, seeing the number tattooed in blue (the 7s were the European form with horizontal lines through the diagonals , as in 7), on his forearm. I
This is one of the more daunting books that I have read. It is filled with unbelievable heartbreak and unimaginable human kindness all at the same time. The courage of the people who survived this dark time in our history are the real heroes of thier generation, we should celebrate their courage, bravery and sheer determination to survive.
Al Bità
The title of this work might put some people off. Don't let it. Read it.

Lyn Smith has done a wonderful job of editing over 100 contributors (one could call them 'survivors') of the Holocaust over the period 1933–1945. These very personal stories are simply told, each person trying to come to grips with what happened to them during this terrible period. The stories are split and presented in chronological order, with very fine introductions to provide a general background to each section. Ultimat
Michael Topley
I personally believe everyone should be made to read a book like this so they can read first hand of the atrocities the Nazis inflicted on those during the Holocaust. Very powerful and moving stories from the people that were there and thankfully survived, as we all know that millions and millions didn't.
This is one of a series of books instigated by the Imperial War Museum. Made up from recordings of people who took part in the events. Some are to do with those in action, others who experienced the war from other locations such as London in the Blitz.
If I find a book particularly engrossing I will often read large sections at a time, sometimes the entire book at a sitting.
This one is different.
Many books of this genre are written by an author who has researched the history, visited locations, i
May 09, 2010 Emily is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book has brought tears to my eyes multiple times because of the first hand accounts of those that have lived through the horrific times. having been reading this as a generation that cannot fathom the "why's, how's, or who's" puts into persepctive the feeling that those who actually lived it, had much bigger questions and much more to address than we could even begin to think about.
the writing style was initially hard to adjust to; keeping track of who was who and what story went with whic
If you are interested in the subject matter, then this is a must. The forgotten voices are not only the victims but also some of those who stood by and watched and then those who stood by and helped. So many emotions touched that I struggle to review this except to say it was a harsh read but necessary.
Sasha Heath
A fantastic collection of short accounts straight from those who were there - from German Jews to Polish Jews to a Lithuanian Policeman (and many more). Very upsetting and a very poignant read that will shock most. A brilliant collection that is a must-read.
Heartbreaking and moving accounts of the Holocaust left behind by those murdered by the Nazi regime, and the memories of those who survived. Should be read by everyone - Never Again.
Carey Combe
I've taken over a year to read this book. It sat at my bedside and I read one or two testimonies at a time. Harrowing, brilliant and should be compulsory.
Jacqui Smith
Chilling & haunting reminder of lessons we should never forget... a must read for all!
Essential for anyone who seeks a more personal account of the Holocaust. This is the second book that I have read in the "Forgotten Voices" series (which was made possible by the collaboration of and vast archives of the Imperial War Museum). Thus far, I think all the books in this series would be worthwhile reads due to the quality and comprehensiveness with which each topic is handled. While it doesn't seem appropriate to give any sort of star-rating to books such as these, I have rated it a " ...more
I've read a lot of books about the Holocaust, but this was one of the most haunting. It is full of vignettes from survivors and others who lived it, prefaced by a few paragraphs from the author setting the scene for the year that was being discussed. The stories were horrifying, as is typical, and several will stay with me. One of the survivors presented an interesting theory, and she might be correct. Perhaps the reason there are people who deny that the Holocaust ever occurred is that the stor ...more
Bianca Rose
I found this book incredibly enlightening. The stories of people who lived through the holocaust ranged from heartbreaking to unbelievable. It was riveting to read about the methods that different people employed to survive this shocking time in history. I feel that this a book that should be read by as many people as possible in order to ensure that we can attempt to prevent history from repeating itself.
Mike Jennings
I feel bad just for saying that this is a good read.
In all honesty I suppose it isn't, it's a harrowing read.
So where does the reader's satisfaction come from? for satisfying it is.
Probably it is in the honesty and humanity it portrays.
It's the kind of book which makes you shake your head as you are reading.
Then you wonder what you yourself would have done (in either role).

One of the last accounts more or less sums it up.
The interviewee is asked how they feel now it's all in the past.
The answer
John Williamson
Fascinating and horrible. We all know the broad picture, but the details make it a very real. Slightly difficult to keep track of the many people as they progress through to liberation and after.
Dit is waarschijnlijk het meest aangrijpende boek dat ik ooit zal lezen. Omdat het geen fictie is. Zeer persoonlijke verhalen van de overlevers van de holocaust. Dit boek breekt je.
Sophie Mullender
The best book I've ever read.
Stine Caben
Very scarey and very good
Disturbing, shocking, sad: it's a very important book so we remember what happened and we can prevent it from happening again. We've seen the pictures, and to some extent we've heard about the horrible things the Nazis did to Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, the handicapped, etc, but these are real stories from real survivors and their stories are horrifying. Not just what happened leading up to and in the camps, but also the aftermath once these people were liberated. Truly devastating.
Tasha enderby
I bought this book while I was on a trip with my girlfriend Lisa to Poland. It was our dream to see the consentration camps for our own eyes. It's one of things you have to see for yourself because you can't believe it could really happen to a whole race of people.

I currently live in Germany and they have put the past behind them and do a good job of not talking about it but in Poland the evidence is still there.

Reading this book after my trip changed my whole life.
This poignant look inside human behavior during WW2 is a must-read for anyone who is interested in Holocaust memoirs and history. Denis Avey (who wrote The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz in 2011) makes an appearance to tell parts of his story. I listened to the audio book, which I highly recommend doing, as you get to hear the actual voices of the survivors telling their heart-wrenching and sometimes hopeful stories.
this was a very interesting read. the stories that were told made the book stood out from the rest. I highly reccomend this book to everyone! each story was different from the next and you cant stop but keep reading. it could be a depressing hearing the survivors' painful story, it was hard to believe that any of that ever happened.
Simple, and stunning - this will stay with me
Heart-wrenching first hand accounts from survivors of the Holocaust. If this book is not recommended reading then it should be. I fear as time goes on these events will be forgotten. These stories must be kept alive. People must never forget just how low and cruel human nature can behave.
Princess Hannah
What a horrific, inhumane and evil occurrence. This must never happen again! A must read to have the slightest insight into the pointless cruelty that was encouraged during WW2. Good on the survivors for compiling their experiences in this book and making people face up to the atrocities
Jill Short
A true account of holocaust survivors. This book profoundly affected me for weeks and months after I had read it. Only the person with a heart of stone would not be affected by this truly humbling book. Should be compulsory history lesson reading for high schools.
An incredibly shocking, moving book told by survivors of the Holocaust. Divided into chronological/thematic sections, the audio version is especially vivid as it is told in the survivors' voices, e.g. recordings of interviews.
I loved the way this book was laid out. It really takes you through the entire process and makes you see what each step meant to the victims. Everyone should read this, so that we won't let such a tragedy happen again
Nick Boldrini
This was harrowing - even though you know the people who wrote were survivors. But worth reading.
  • Notes from the Warsaw Ghetto
  • Escape: Children of the Holocaust
  • This Has Happened: An Italian Family in Auschwitz
  • In our Hearts we were Giants: The Remarkable Story of the Lilliput Troupe, a Dwarf Family's Survival of the Holocaust
  • The Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust
  • Into That Darkness: An Examination of Conscience
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust
  • The Origins of the Final Solution: The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy, September 1939-March 1942
  • We Remember the Holocaust
  • Schindler's Legacy: True Stories of the List Survivors
  • Forgotten Voices of the Second World War: A New History of the Second World War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Were There
  • Hiding in the Spotlight: A Musical Prodigy's Story of Survival, 1941-1946
  • The Lost Childhood: A World War II Memoir
  • At the Mind's Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and Its Realities
  • The Diary of Petr Ginz