Start by marking “Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby

Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A revealing look at how having your child sleeping in your bed is beneficial to all your family
Published March 1st 2012 by Bloomsbury Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Three in a Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three in a Bed

kate estivill
Mar 10, 2015 kate estivill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book full of well-researched information on the history of co-sleeping and it's loss of popularity from the Victorian ages. The author is a great advocate for bringing this practice back and I fully suppport her opinions.

The reason I did not give the book 5 stars is the following: I have coslept with my 13 month old since birth, from the very first night. I nursed her round the clock and continue to nurse her at night or when she needs comforting. She is a high needs child, a very lig
Cass
Jan 18, 2011 Cass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this one of the best all-round attachment parenting books that I have read.
Tara
Oct 24, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Some of the information was interesting and the geek in me liked the extensive documentation, but I found myself wanting to just finish the book and move on to something else. I would think, "Didn't she say this exact same thing a couple chapters ago?" But I may be confusing it with other books that I've read on the same subject recently - I honestly don't know if it's my own faulty memory mushing multiple books together or if she was really being repetitive. She also seemed a bit defensive at t ...more
Lisa
Jun 24, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Started off well, and I was genuinely interested in what she had to say. Unfortunately I found myself skimming before long because it became very repetitive.

I was reassured on many fronts, though, and was far less worried about having baby in bed with us - often he would end up there after a night feed because we would all fall asleep! So read it if you want to put your mind at ease, but you probably don't need to finish it!!!
Kindra
Nov 21, 2015 Kindra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It didn't offer much/any practical advice, but was a fascinating look at the historical development of how sleeping advice and practices have evolved in North America and Britain. I enjoyed the comparisons of tribal vs industrialized cultures, and found it refreshing that it didn't take on the 'tribal cultures are all perfect and if only we lived in one then every child rearing problem would be solved' approach that I've heard many times.
It was extremely biased, which was no surprise, but it wa
Alice
Nov 30, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
So biased that even I - a bedsharer - was a bit repelled. I liked the historical and cultural contexts she uses and ultimately she is absolutely correct about the logic and benefits of co-sleeping. However her uncompromising stance was far too alienating for me, and her response to some of the problematic aspects of bed sharing were very brief and dismissive. For example, suggesting that day time naps can be done in a sling just isn't practical.
For my family, we loved the concept for co-sleepin
Alice Chau-Ginguene
The book provides very valuable information on the subject matter. Maybe because she is preaching to the converted, I found myself skip through the book like some of the other reviewers. I just wanted to go through it quickly to get to the practical information bit of the book than on the 'why should we do it' bit of the book. I already knew why. But it's probably just my personal circumstance.
I think it's a very good book for someone who knows nothing about attachment issue on babies though.
Esmeralda
Deborah Jackson presents the family bed as an option parents have. I am inclined to co sleep since it will make night time breastfeeding simple. Also, it cuts out buying short term use furniture. All the concerns I had about hazards of this arrangement were addressed in depth by "Three in a Bed." Concerns included: not killing the baby, privacy, weaning, and body temperature. Reading all the science, cross cultural references, psychology and developmental studies, a history of Victorian values, ...more
Daphne
Dec 27, 2015 Daphne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well researched and super informative guide to co sleeping with babies/children.
Julia
Dec 13, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a lot of nonfiction but recently I've read a couple of parenting books. We ended up cosleeping with Grace without planning to and have enjoyed it. (and all the sleep we get because of it!) Lately, I've been feeling more ambivalent about it and ready for her to move out of our bed, and this bed provided some great reflections for me. She has good ideas about how and when to transition your child out of your bed, but just in general the book gives a lot of medical/cultural info about ...more
Molly
Aug 17, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenthood
This book did what I'd hope every parenting book would attempt--a good focus, plenty of research with a wide range of sources, anecdotes and narrative, tips and variations. What I admired about this book was its attention to people's concerns about co-sleeping and her reasoned response. The position that children will be *less* clingy because they were able to participate in their move into independence is a good one, one I am already observing in my seven-month-old, who is almost too mobile as ...more
Janelle
I found "Good Nights: The Happy Parents Guide to the Family Bed" to be a much more useful resource on the topic of bed and roomsharing. Jackson failed to add anything new to my understanding of the subject. Combine that with her not so subtle disdain for Christianity, and I was left with a book that I finished out of obligation "I've come this far, may as well finish" rather than interest.
Will Finch
Interesting, but too preachy and one-sided to be genuinely useful.
Jenny Aird
Good at making the argument for cosleeping, not so good at solving some of the problems or issues that are encountered - eg logistics of how to share the bed. A lot of the worries we had as new parents were not answered by this book. Incidentally we coslept until around 4/5 months when he started sleeping with arms spread out and took up the whole bed!
Natalie Valenzuela
I only read certain chapters in this book as I was researching the topic. It's rather old, but there is some good stuff.
Meryl
Sep 30, 2009 Meryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tone of this one was a bit judgmental and defensive, but--if you could get past that--there was a lot of good information.
Kate Glicksberg
Some good information, but basically an expanded magazine article.
Nualacharlie
Very bias against children sleeping alone.
Messyfish
Oct 11, 2009 Messyfish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great info on co-sleeping
Jules
Jan 20, 2013 Jules rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
First read February 2011.
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Amanda Wickham
Amanda Wickham rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Margaret Keller
Margaret Keller marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
sarah smart
sarah smart rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Michaela
Michaela rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Chris Powless
Chris Powless rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • The Science of Parenting
  • Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • Birth and Breastfeeding: Rediscovering the Needs of Women During Pregnancy and Childbirth