Start by marking “Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby” as Want to Read:
Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby

Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A revealing look at how having your child sleeping in your bed is beneficial to all your family
Published March 1st 2012 by Bloomsbury Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Three in a Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three in a Bed

kate estivill
Fantastic book full of well-researched information on the history of co-sleeping and it's loss of popularity from the Victorian ages. The author is a great advocate for bringing this practice back and I fully suppport her opinions.

The reason I did not give the book 5 stars is the following: I have coslept with my 13 month old since birth, from the very first night. I nursed her round the clock and continue to nurse her at night or when she needs comforting. She is a high needs child, a very lig
I found this one of the best all-round attachment parenting books that I have read.
Some of the information was interesting and the geek in me liked the extensive documentation, but I found myself wanting to just finish the book and move on to something else. I would think, "Didn't she say this exact same thing a couple chapters ago?" But I may be confusing it with other books that I've read on the same subject recently - I honestly don't know if it's my own faulty memory mushing multiple books together or if she was really being repetitive. She also seemed a bit defensive at t ...more
So biased that even I - a bedsharer - was a bit repelled. I liked the historical and cultural contexts she uses and ultimately she is absolutely correct about the logic and benefits of co-sleeping. However her uncompromising stance was far too alienating for me, and her response to some of the problematic aspects of bed sharing were very brief and dismissive. For example, suggesting that day time naps can be done in a sling just isn't practical.
For my family, we loved the concept for co-sleepin
Started off well, and I was genuinely interested in what she had to say. Unfortunately I found myself skimming before long because it became very repetitive.

I was reassured on many fronts, though, and was far less worried about having baby in bed with us - often he would end up there after a night feed because we would all fall asleep! So read it if you want to put your mind at ease, but you probably don't need to finish it!!!
It didn't offer much/any practical advice, but was a fascinating look at the historical development of how sleeping advice and practices have evolved in North America and Britain. I enjoyed the comparisons of tribal vs industrialized cultures, and found it refreshing that it didn't take on the 'tribal cultures are all perfect and if only we lived in one then every child rearing problem would be solved' approach that I've heard many times.
It was extremely biased, which was no surprise, but it wa
Alice Chau-Ginguene
The book provides very valuable information on the subject matter. Maybe because she is preaching to the converted, I found myself skip through the book like some of the other reviewers. I just wanted to go through it quickly to get to the practical information bit of the book than on the 'why should we do it' bit of the book. I already knew why. But it's probably just my personal circumstance.
I think it's a very good book for someone who knows nothing about attachment issue on babies though.
Deborah Jackson presents the family bed as an option parents have. I am inclined to co sleep since it will make night time breastfeeding simple. Also, it cuts out buying short term use furniture. All the concerns I had about hazards of this arrangement were addressed in depth by "Three in a Bed." Concerns included: not killing the baby, privacy, weaning, and body temperature. Reading all the science, cross cultural references, psychology and developmental studies, a history of Victorian values, ...more
I don't read a lot of nonfiction but recently I've read a couple of parenting books. We ended up cosleeping with Grace without planning to and have enjoyed it. (and all the sleep we get because of it!) Lately, I've been feeling more ambivalent about it and ready for her to move out of our bed, and this bed provided some great reflections for me. She has good ideas about how and when to transition your child out of your bed, but just in general the book gives a lot of medical/cultural info about ...more
This book did what I'd hope every parenting book would attempt--a good focus, plenty of research with a wide range of sources, anecdotes and narrative, tips and variations. What I admired about this book was its attention to people's concerns about co-sleeping and her reasoned response. The position that children will be *less* clingy because they were able to participate in their move into independence is a good one, one I am already observing in my seven-month-old, who is almost too mobile as ...more
I found "Good Nights: The Happy Parents Guide to the Family Bed" to be a much more useful resource on the topic of bed and roomsharing. Jackson failed to add anything new to my understanding of the subject. Combine that with her not so subtle disdain for Christianity, and I was left with a book that I finished out of obligation "I've come this far, may as well finish" rather than interest.
Will Finch
Interesting, but too preachy and one-sided to be genuinely useful.
Jenny Aird
Good at making the argument for cosleeping, not so good at solving some of the problems or issues that are encountered - eg logistics of how to share the bed. A lot of the worries we had as new parents were not answered by this book. Incidentally we coslept until around 4/5 months when he started sleeping with arms spread out and took up the whole bed!
Natalie Valenzuela
I only read certain chapters in this book as I was researching the topic. It's rather old, but there is some good stuff.
The tone of this one was a bit judgmental and defensive, but--if you could get past that--there was a lot of good information.
Kate Glicksberg
Some good information, but basically an expanded magazine article.
Very bias against children sleeping alone.
great info on co-sleeping
First read February 2011.
Newfiekidd92 marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Tamara marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Mary Grace
Mary Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Ginger is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
  • Bésame mucho
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • The Science of Parenting
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • The Secret of Happy Children: Why Children Behave the Way They Do--and What You Can Do to Help Them to Be Optimistic, Loving, Capable, and H