Blank-133x176
Divine Magnetic Lands:...

Timothy O'Grady

Divine Magnetic Lands: A Journey in America

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In 1973, aged twenty-two, Timothy O'Grady left America. For the next thirty years he lived in and wrote about Europe. As he did, the American counter-culture crashed, Ronald Reagan came and went, wars were declared and the country was attacked by air. Much of the world began to look at America in a new way, wondering what had happened to it and where it was going. Among th...more
Published June 30th 2010 by Vintage Digital (first published 2009)

Jim
I did enjoy this book which I read while in Charleston, and it made me think about America differently to what I otherwise might have. Some really good sections on American health care and the legal framework that did challenge some preconceived ideas - big corporations despise lawyers who take on cases for the little man, which is why everyone knows the story about the woman who spilled hot coffee at McDs. If the corporates can't inspire fear, they'll go for loathing. We know about her because...more
Aditya
A geat book! Wonderful read. I used to think of the United States as only a bully and i thought of it only in terms of its reputation over the past few years. But this book has correctly put out that its strength lies not in its ability to intimidate but to inspire.

The seques and small interactions with people and their mini stories are what make this book thoroughly beautiful.

It just went with me everywhere till i could finish it. Kudos!
Aditya

It just went with me everywhere till i could finish it. Kudos!
Otrillian
Probably the best travel book on America I've read all round. The author has the insights of a born and bred American combined with his experiences of living in Europe most of his adult life. It's full of well researched information on life in America in the early 21st century as well as pithy observations on people and places he encounters. I just wish it was twice as long.
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Mithun Shivakumar
Mithun Shivakumar marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Seán
Seán marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2011
Joanne
Joanne added it
May 19, 2011
I Could Read the Sky Motherland On Golf: The Game, the Players, and a Personal History of Obsession Light On Golf