Start by marking “For the Love of the Game: My Story” as Want to Read:
For the Love of the Game: My Story

For the Love of the Game: My Story

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  24 reviews
For 13 brilliant seasons Michael Jordan danced the dance of greatness across hardwood floors of basketball arenas from New York to Los Angeles to Barcelona and Paris. With a warrior's heart and an artist's grace, Jordan long ago transcended the sport to become one of the 20th century's global icons.

On the court, his almost mythic flair for the spectacular prompted former L
Published October 27th 1998 by Crown (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of the Game

Chiara
i was drawn to this book because i am a great Michael Jordan fan and i wondered if he could write well and also be an amazing athlete.
the category i put this novel in was that its a non-fiction book because everything and experience in this book is true because it tells you all the ups and downs Michael Jordan did to be successful but he would love the game win or lose.
the most important thing i liked about this book was that it helped me understand that even when you fail at something you keep
Joel Espinal
October 5th,2012
For The Love of The Game
Michael Jordan

In the book, For the Love of the Game, written by Michael Jordan, is about M.J. Michael Jordan always loved basketball for his entire life. He loved his surroundings and he loved the Chicago Bull's franchise. Michael Jordan talks about his life, his ups and downs, his NBA Career, teammates in the Chicago Bulls, his best rivalries, and also talks about his short period of his MLB career. A very momentous part of the book is the part that he
Eric Evhs Le
This book of Michael Jordan takes you into of not the greatest basketball player of all time but a normal human being who built everything he has today by shear hard work and dedication. Taking you from the famous shot of University Of North Carolina that led to his stardom, delivered to the days in which he played baseball and starred in a movie. For the Love of the Game is a perfectly written book depicting what hard work which led to Michael Jordan's success looks like.
J Baruffi
Arugably the greatest athlete of the 20th century and one of the most iconic of the 20th & 21st century, and an individual that I wanted to me, "For the Love of the Game: My Story" gave an indepth and personal insight into his. From his childhood to rise to super stardom, this is a great read!! Work Ethic and Values shared in this book does a great testimony on overcoming adversity, family values and maximizing a gift from God by one of the greatest competitors of his time.
GoldGato
There's no question of Mr. Jordan being one of, if not THE, greatest basketball players of all time. However, what made MJ23 so different was how he changed culture. He brought the world long shorts, athletic shoe obsessions, earrings on men, and bald-as-cool. He transcended the sport. This is one of the Michael Jordan coffee-table books (photos, magazine layouts) which will always look good because even though the 1990s are long gone, his portion of that decade still seems relevant. Lots of pic ...more
Rick
Living and working in the Chicago area during the awesome Bulls' run caused me to become a solid fan. Although I was aware of most of the content of this book already, it was interesting to read MJ's voice in the 1st person. Basically a magazine article on steroids with all the photos and sidebars.

I only got one opportunity to see him play in person. It was the year they only lost two--count 'em, two--home games out of 41. But one was the game vs. Charlotte with me in the nosebleed section.

No o
Jeremy
This gorgeous, oversized volume about His Airness gets the All-Star treatment with spectacular photographs, stats, and words of wisdom & inspiration from the man himself. Possessing enormous talent, athletic grace, and gravity-defying moves, Jordan took his air show to the arenas around the world and made the Bulls the hottest ticket. With a heart of a warrior and ferocious will to win, Jordan achieved greatness on the hardwood court and attained iconic status outside the world of sports. MJ ...more
Corey Russell
I thought this book was very good. It was very detailed from his life on the court to his life off the court where he had to overcome many difficult obstacles. He had a very succesful basketball career which is why he is considered the best basketball player ever.

I would reccomend this book to anybody who enjoys basketball because that is a big part of this book. I would also reccomend it to anyone is is facing troubles in the life because it can be very inspirational. It also had severalpicture
Liz
A look at the life of Michael Jordan through his own eyes. Not very in depth, and it doesn't cover much more than his thoughts about basketball, but it's a photo-heavy 100+ page book. Can't fit much more in a book that small.

Good for those who know very little or nothing about Jordan. Will be a complete disappointment for those who are huge fans or already know a lot about him.

Regardless, the photography is great, albeit small in some places.

Jerad
It is a book about the legendary Micheal Jordan how he sighned to nike for is first signature shoe air jordons.And how he descoverd the love of baseball.He retired and came back fans were shocked when his number was 45 and not his dads number 23 if you like basketball you will love this book i guarentee by the time your done with this book you will love basketball.
Jill
How I miss the olden/golden days of good NBA. This book was one of many I read about my Michael. It was wonderful to read his side of the story. Very comprehensive with beautiful photos of everything. I bought it right when it was released. Any serious Michael fan would love this book. I've read it many times.
Kk5primeayat
I learned that Michael Jordan means what he says about the game of basketball. He also said that showing off will get you know where but on the bench. Michael Jordan has played with class and dignity every time he walks on the field or court.
Michael Kjeldsen
Micahel Jordan was an outstanding basketball player. But he was also very caring outside the court. He would always work with kids and help them out, he was a very down to earth person not like most of the superstars in todays sports
Man O'neal
MJ is the man. If you love basketball than you probably love MJ. And if you love MJ than you'll probably love this book. It contains that insight to his airness' personal thoughts that we so rarely see. The pictures don't hurt either.
Jalen
Dec 18, 2008 Jalen added it
greatest book ever .Well since i LOVE basketball you would probably know i love this book.michael jordan inspires people just from his words from a book thats amazing.AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cole
As good as MJ was as a player this book equals that in visual formatting. The page by page layouts and pictures were crisp and only elevated the story of the best that ever played.
Bill
Jordan's best contribution was on the court. I think the record of his achievements are probably best written by others. Not a memorable book.
Neal
Awesome pictures. Good, quick read. Nice stats.

If you love MJ, check it out.

www.themixtapemonster.com
Patrick
it showed mj on his crazy journey fro the ncaa tournament vs. Patrick Ewing To his retirement
Kevin
Larry Bird was once quoted as saying, "I think he is God disguised as Michael Jordan."
Courtney
second (third?) time reading it- still a great book
Alan
Feb 09, 2010 Alan is currently reading it
its about micheal jordans carear
Carly Johnson
Beautiful photography! What an icon!!!
Semaj Franklin
know how the game is played
Aaron Masters
Aaron Masters marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Niveditha Kumar
Niveditha Kumar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Carl Giles
Carl Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
  • Bad as I Wanna Be
  • Out of the Blue: Orel Hershiser
  • They Call Me Coach
  • The Hoops Whisperer: On the Court and Inside the Heads of Basketball's Best Players
  • I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It
  • A March to Madness: A View from the Floor in the Atlantic Coast Conference
  • When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball
  • Hard Work: A Life On and Off the Court
  • Black Planet: Facing Race During an NBA Season
  • The Jordan Rules
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan is a retired American professional basketball player and active businessman. His biography on the National Basketball Association (NBA) website states, "By acclamation, Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time." Jordan was one of
More about Michael Jordan...
Driven from Within I Can't Accept Not Trying: Michael Jordan on the Pursuit of Excellence For the Love of the Game Rare Air I'm Back!: More Rare Air

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” 164 likes
“Failure is acceptable. but not trying is a whole different ball park.” 26 likes