Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection” as Want to Read:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,696 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Now available in paperback! The New York Times bestselling authors show readers how to feel like newlyweds every day.

He's helped 12 million people reduce the stress at home and at work. Now the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, Richard Carlson with Kristine, his wife of 14 years bring us a simple, stress-free approach to love. While depre
Published March 6th 2012 by Hyperion (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love

Claire
Jul 01, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really How to Chill, How to Rule, and How to be Cool with Your Boyfriend, Roomies, Family, Friends and Coworkers. Or: How to Let Love, Not Worry Rule Your World. I wish I had read this when I was 12 so I could have avoided a whole lotta dick moves in my life I learned not to pull by hurting previous relationships. Some of these tips seem commonsense, but aren't second nature like "Don't come home frazzled." This book is Step 2 in my plan to be more peaceful. Expect to see more self- ...more
Lindsey
Sep 14, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book in a word: fluff. There are 100 short chapters, each on an idea to improve your marriage. But there are actually about 5 ideas, rephrased 20 times each. Each chapter follows the same format: introduction of the idea, a story illustrating the idea, the author telling how he and his wife live the concept perfectly, and a disclaimer. For example, in the chapter on Allowing Your Partner Some Eccentricities they say, "Now, we're not suggesting that you put up with any truly neurotic behavio ...more
Abrar Yasser
ترجمة سيئة ..
Clarissa Allen
Aug 04, 2011 Clarissa Allen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
'Bout half way through. So far so good. Helps me remember to chill out when I get frazzled. Also helps me remember that I cant control anyone but myself, and trying to is just a waste of my time and energy that could be spent doing something that makes me feel happy and peaceful.
Afreen Pargaonkar
Amazing book. It is a must read for all couples and if you are in a work and home relationship together it is a definite must read. Read it together like my husband and I did and you will reap the rewards even more. We love this entire series and intend to read them all. This is our second book in the series.
Mickey Reed
Aug 02, 2010 Mickey Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People in relationships
Shelves: audio, 2010
This book had pretty good advice, but it really assumes that two people are meant to be together. Some relationships just aren't meant to be. The advice given really will only work if you're a willing participant in a relationship and want it to work out. Maybe that's a given, but not all relationships are created equal. My relationship could benefit from some of the knowledge dished out from this book because it's a healthy, working relationship with its share of ups and downs. I'm glad I read ...more
Angela Mason
I think that this is a must read for any couple, especially at the beginning stages of a relationship. It gives sound, helpful and practical advice which if put into practice can reduce arguments. It makes you take a look at yourself and helps you to understand your partner better.
It is a book that should be read again and by both partners lest you lose your way again later down the line or change partners.
Leo Marta Lay
Buku ini memuat kiat yang cukup praktis dan menarik dalam hubungan suami istri.....Bisa jadi bahan bacaan pas dibutuhkan! Hanya saja kiat tersebut kelihatannya terlalu dipaksakan memenuhi angka 100, sehingga setelah membaca 50 persen dari kiat tersebut, terasa jelas cerita dan nasihat yang dianjurkan diberikan lagi berulang......
Hana Bilqisthi
Alhamdulillah Allah baik banget ngasih Hana kesempatan baca buku ini sebelum menikah, ternyata Hana sering sweat small stuff. hehehehe semoga bisa memperbaiki diri :D
penjelasannya simple dan ngga bertele-tele :) contoh-contohnya juga ngena banget
jleb pas bahas tentang ngga semua yang kita pikirkan dan rasakan itu bener
Marc
Feb 19, 2015 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with principles and actions you can begin applying to your relationship IMMEDIATELY. The underlying themes of the book for me were 1. (obviously) don't sweat the small stuff and 2. stop and think before you speak or take action. These 2 guiding principles elimate so many issues. I recommend this to anyone in a relationship or even single people to apply to their next relationship.
Adrienne
Quick read! Truly wonderful seeing a couple who can interact with such an easy communication style and be able to convey easy teachings of what truly matters with your mate and what does not. This book would be great for a couple to trade off each evening before bedtime. Tiny chapters and really makes you appreciate the differences in someone else.
Mindy
Sep 29, 2013 Mindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't rocket science. BUT the advice is sound. There are times I need to be reminded of the little things that I forget about how to treat other people- particularly my husband- when I'm stressed or tired. I keep it handy and when I need a pick me up, I can find a chapter that brings me back to what's important- and reminds me of basic relationship skills I can neglect at times.
Jhbyu
Aug 09, 2009 Jhbyu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Self improvement book meant. I feel it is better than 1st book, "don't sweat the small stuff." There is significant overlap between the two, but more applicable to you and others, whereas "don't sweat the small stuff" is more directed inward only. This one applies to more than just love relationships, good for friends and family.
Natalia
There's a chapter on PMS that basically says women are irrational during that whole period, so you'd best ignore them if they're upset.

EXCUSE ME?

PMS is a cultural phenomenon practically equivalent to the notorious 1800s hysteria in terms of symptoms - of which there are over 130!!

Sexism anyone?
Crystal
Solid advice and insights. My husband and I read this book by reading a section a day and it had a positive effect on our relationship. Was also an impetus for some good conversations. Drawback: repeatative phrases.
Martina
Aug 15, 2012 Martina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-i-ve-read
Loved this book it points out things that you never really noticed affected you or your relationship. Especially if you dont have a history to learn from. Loved it loved it loved it.
And yes it often reiterates the points but i think each point supports another thats why.
Julie
Nothing wrong with the book, and the advice has a lot of resemblance to CBT--essentially you are what you think. It's a super quick read, so picking up a few pointers is painless enough. But I don't imagine many people will be surprised by anything in here.
Kristen
Aug 04, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Great little book of advice. I kept it by my night stand for awhile and read a little bit each night. I'm a strong believer that you get out of any relationship what you put into it and a little nurturing of the loving connection can go a long way ;)
Wilton314
Apr 05, 2013 Wilton314 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2004
Great book. Easy to read. Don't have to read from front to back but can jump around to what interests you. Full of short stories and anecdotes that help you open up to a different, less stressful way of thinking about things, relationships and life. Recommend to anyone.
Stacy
Jun 26, 2011 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Like the other "sweat" books, it offers the same advice in different ways throughout the book. It does have some good suggestions, however. 100 'different' ideas would be good instead of saying the same thing several different ways.
Rissa Yullita
buku ini isinya tentang tips2 dan contoh kasus gimana cara tuk menciptakan hubungan yg harmonis dengan pasangan, baik itu untuk yang udah nikah or masih pacaran...
ya lumayan la.. sekedar buat pengetahuan gitu...
Satoshi
いろいろと思い当たる節がありました。
結婚してからまた読みたい。

もっと体系的にまとまっていると良いね。

Jodi
Jan 08, 2013 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this book and learning a lot. The small chapter/stories are easy to fit into a busy schedule.
Candy Boisvert
It helped me out a lot even if my boyfriend at the time learned nothing.
Peej
Jul 11, 2012 Peej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When I read this long ago, I remember it really helped me and gave me impact. Want to read it again soon
Brendygirl
It's typical, be positive, act like it doesn't annoy you advice, that really isn't realistic or insightful.
Enaam
النسخة المترجمة
Brenda
Dec 31, 2007 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
DSSS books are easy and quick to read. I wish I would read this one more often. It helps to know I'm not alone in feeling the way I feel sometimes.
Don Gubler
Nov 14, 2012 Don Gubler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
Taking the stress out of relationships.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Awakening: A Daily Guide to Conscious Living
  • Living the Simple Life: A Guide to Scaling Down and Enjoying More
  • If Love Is a Game, These Are the Rules: 10 Rules for Finding Love and Creating Long-Lasting, Authentic Relationships
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women (Hazelden Meditations)
  • Easy Peasey: People Skills For Life
  • Woman's Comfort Book, The
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love and Stay in Love
  • The Bodacious Book of Succulence: Daring to Live Your Succulent Wild Life
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (Hyperion))
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds