Blank-133x176
Fighting the Good Figh...

Adam Proteau

Fighting the Good Fight: Why On-Ice Violence Is Killing Hockey

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A veteran hockey writer takes on hockey culture and the NHL--addressing the game's most controversial issueWhether it's on-ice fist fights or head shots into the glass, hockey has become a nightly news spectacle--with players pummeling and bashing each other across the ice like drunken gladiators. And while the NHL may actually condone on-ice violence as a ticket draw, die...more
Published December 7th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 31st 2011)

Neeko
The book hit shelves a little too early, which is very unfortunate for Adam Proteau. Although I agree with about seventy percent of what was said in this book, I can't recommend it to anyone considering how much the NHL has changed since it's release.

With Brendan Shanahan's crackdown on illegal hits to the head, the 2011-2012 season seems to a be a big breakthrough in terms of the NHLs accountability for it's players safety. It would have been interesting to hear Adam's thoughts on the recent...more
Jimmie
Adam Proteau obviously has both the passion and experience to be an expert in ice hockey, so when, in Fighting the Good Fight, he lays out his argument as to why on-ice violence is not only detrimental to the players receiving the punches but also to the game as a whole (including its fans), he even convinced me, which is a feat because when a fight breaks out at a game, I'm the first to jump out of my seat and applaud.

However, there were two huge flaws in his book. The first is he failed to off...more
Sydney Stype
A really interesting look on the con side of fighting. It enlightened me to why fighting in the game can be detrimental and gave me some ideas on ways that the league could attempt to reduce or even eliminate the number of head injuries in the NHL. It is a problem, but it is hard to figure out what will be the path in order to make the game safer.
Cal
This book should be read by every parent who is thinking of putting
their child(ren) in North American ice hockey. It is a game run and ruled by dinosaurs who milk every opportunity to lambast outside critiques with "if you haven't played the game you can't understand!"
There is nothing premature about this book; the fact there have been further hockey related tragedies since publication only underscores the validity of the arguments presented. Great book.
Kevin St.Clair
Excellent, but then again, his take on the subject is very close to mine so....Is he right?? I don't know, but I'm on board.
I fundamentally agree with his argument; the writing style just wasn't my cup of tea for the most part.
Angela
I think Adam Proteau is a bit of a weenie but he makes a good argument.
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Dr. Detroit
Dr. Detroit marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Squaresparky
Squaresparky marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Mike Vermillion
Mike Vermillion marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Phillyfan329
Phillyfan329 marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2012
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2012
Carolyn Kurek
Carolyn Kurek marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Hockey News Top 60 Since 1967: The Best Players of the Post-Expansion Era Fighting the Good Fight Puck Funnies: Hockey Humour, Hilarity and Hi-Jinx The Top 60 Since 1967: The Best Players of the Post-Expansion Era The Top 60 Since 1967: The Best Players of the Post-Expansion Era