Start by marking “How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #4)

How to Tail a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #4)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  29 reviews
WHEN IS A WHITE ALLIGATOR A RED HERRING?
Okay, granted, an albino alligator on the loose in San Francisco is pretty darn exciting. But my two cats, Rupert and Isabella, and I have better things to do than tail a reptile from Nob Hill to Fisherman's Wharf. We're investigating the mysterious Steinhart brothers, the 1900s-era benefactors who provided the original funding for...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Tail a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Tail a Cat

LORI CASWELL
Never a dull moment in San Francisco. The mayor is headed to Sacramento as Lieutenant Governor and an interim mayor needs to be selected by the board. But much more exciting is the albino alligator that is on the loose and been sighted in many places from Fisherman's Wharf to Nob Hill.

Oscar's niece and her cats Isabella and Rupert don't have time to tail an alligator. Her uncle has left her more clues to chase and this adventure starts at Lick's Fried Chicken and has something to do with the Ste...more
Shelly
This series just keeps getting better and better. I would love it for the in-depth history lessons about San Francisco alone, but add an engaging cast of characters, ongoing puzzles (there are a few unanswered questions spanning through several titles), and of course, the cats, and this is one of the few series I can say that I don't wait to read. I'll put down something else in favor of a new entry in this series.

In my opinion, this series goes a little deeper than most "cozy" series on the ma...more
Fred
To Tail A Cat is the fourth book in the Cats and Curios Mystery series by Rebecca Hale.

I started the series with the third book and I now wished I had started at the beginning. I really enjoy this series and is one that makes you think about what you are reading and not just read the words on the pages.

Uncle Oscar has left his antique store, The Green Vase, to his niece with all it's treasure and clues to help her with various mysteries she has to solve in each book. The niece, who is nameless a...more
Susan Ferguson
I enjoy this series. They are rather bizarre in a way, but fun, too.

Oscar's niece has gotten caught up in another mystery her uncle has left her clues, too. But she needs Isabella's help to uncover all the clues. Isabella also requires lazy Rupert to do his share of the work. The opening scene is funny, with interim mayor candidate Monty Carmichael thinking he can capture Clive, the missing albino alligator from San Francisco's science museum.
Then you get into all the story behind this moment in...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
As a San Franciscan, I have to tell you, this book makes me smile, laugh aloud, work at figuring out the mysteries, and enjoy the history of the city I love so much! Focus is the Steinhart Aquarium in Golden Gate Park. We are also caught up in the election of the interim Mayor.

There is Fried Chicken in the air (followers of the series will know what I'm saying,) and it is exciting Isabella and Rupert, two beautiful cats that live above the Green Vase Antique store. Their person,Oscar's niece beg...more
Dharia Scarab
Found book 4 at a thrift store, so I figured I'd give it a go.
Just as weird as the previous books in the series, although this book features even less of our nameless heroine. This book was even more of an ensemble cast effort.

Surprisingly enough this book ends with a murder, maybe that will factor in to the next book.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have given u...more
Jack
Unfortunately, I was disappointed in this installment of "Cats and Curios."

This could have been a very good story, but, similar to its predecessor, "How to Moon a Cat," tangents intrude a lot. Throughout the majority of the book, each chapter is a crap shoot as far as where we start out. There are several different scenarios playing out simultaneously throughout the city. Not until the last few chapters (which number 74 in total) do all these scenarios make an attempt to weave together.

Not to di...more
Christyn
This is a series that to be understood best - has to be read in order. But even if you read it in order you will not get all the answers you're looking for because there are things that are going on throughout the books. That is, things aren't neatly resolved in just one book. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For me, I'm just not sure it's working. Don't get me wrong, the writing isn't necessarily bad - just a little different. Truthfully, it's a bit hard to read, not because it's bad...more
Susan
I tend to like series, but am aware that there are many traps for the series author. One is assuming that readers are going to be as interested as you in following these characters through their lives whether or not there's a payoff in a particular volume. This book ends with a seemingly unexplained murder, but I don't think I want to wait until the next book, or the one after that, for an explanation. The characters don't seem to have much depth. I've read the first two, though not the third, s...more
Mary Kay  Kare
Jun 17, 2013 Mary Kay Kare rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: mystery
It would be great if, before writing another book, this author learned to use the English language. She continually misuses words. Including one of my pet peeves, hone in instead of home in. Also, she described one character as wearing ankle length Capri pants. I kid you not. By definition, Capri pants stop at the calf. She used dallied when she meant dabbled -- leading to some very odd pictures in my head. She used reclusive when she meant secluded. And on and on and on.

The former viewpoint ch...more
Melanie
I love the sibling kitties, especially Rupert. I didn't, however, like the point of view this time around. I haven't read this author in a bit, but I don't remember it being as annoying. The story line was okay, but the way it was written turned me off.
Gwen
I kept reading even thought I did not fully understand this cat-thinking world in San Fran. This confusion is most likely due to my entering the series on book 4.
Paul Lunger
The 4th book in Rebecca Hale's Cats & Curios Mystery series, "How to Tail a Cat", deals with an escaped albino alligator named Clive & the quest to find out more about the Steinhart Aquarium which houses the exhibit. There really isn't much of a mystery to this story other than a case of follow the clues & the usual reaction of the mayor to all things amphibious. We've also got the various scenes where Clive makes appearances in places he shouldn't & a twist on that story. Overal...more
Francy

This book seems to be a "filler", preparing and teasing readers for the next one. I was more than a little disappointed at the result of the treasure hunt in this one but the author seems to have anticipated as much in her readers because her main character came to the same conclusion as I did. I do love the authors ability to write from the animals perspective and I have to admit this book, like her others, made me laugh so it wasn't a total disappointment.

Omg, Monty is so funny, although it...more
Deb
I keep reading this series, in part because the books are set in Jackson Square, San Francisco, but the "mysteries" are getting more and more obscure and less and less resolved. Is Uncle Oscar really dead or is he, for some obscure reason, running a fried chicken restaurant in North Beach? The heroine and her two cats are sympathetic characters but the level of eccentricity surrounding her is starting to get annoying. At this point, the only thing that keeps me coming back are the obscure bits o...more
Kayt18
ok i have realized that if i had read this series at a different time in my life i would love it. but due to cognitive issues i have from m/s this is just too complicated for me now. yep i could see me really liking all the weirdness involved in these books. an albino alligator, frogs with orange mustaches, bald mice wearing jackets. all the makings of a fun read. however so much is complicated and hard to fit together. i do wish i had read these a long time ago back when they might have made so...more
Kelly
The fourth title in Rebecca M. Hale's Cats and Curios Mystery Series. We meet Clive the albino alligator, a San Francisco celebrity that goes missing. I found the first three installments to be page turners - this one not so much. While enjoyable it just doesn't seem to have the same zip and vigor that the first couple of books had. In the end one character meets their demise -- but the book offers no clues as why or who the murderer was. Maybe that will be in the next one...
Wilde Sky
An albino alligator is stolen and search is on for a new Mayor of San Francisco.

Quite an enjoyable read in terms of the characters (I especially liked the thoughts of the alligator) but at the end I ended up with questions on why the characters had acted as they had. It read like a series of disconnected scenes, as if chapters / pages were missing and / or the story hadn’t been fully developed.

I rated this 3 but it was really a 2.5.
Stewie's Mom
I enjoyed this book, but... I wished that the secretive segmented style had been less so. I have read the three prior stories and I don't remember them reading so choppy. The quick scenes kept me wondering what was going to happen next, but I also felt a little lost. Maybe if Isabella had been more vocal I would have understood more. I hope that the next book will be less choppy and more direct than this one.
Melody
Debra
The 1st book in this series is still my favorite, but this book was good. An albino alligator is more interesting subject matter than frogs with mustaches or a bike race, as in the series 2nd and 3rd books. The biggest problem with this book was the ending. It was anti-climatic. Bummer. She finds the treasure, then looks at her cat, and it is done. Blah.
Kay
Oscar's niece and her cats search for an historic San Francisco treasure. An albino alligator and other strange characters are involved.
Taunja Thomson
Seems like this book took forever to come together. It does not live up to the previous three books in the series, sorry to say.
Catherine Dowling
Enjoyed the previous books in this series but could not get into this one at all.
Kathy
Interesting style. Love the characters and the setting of San Francisco.
Sheila
Best book of the series. Very funny. I laughed out loud.
Pat
the series has gotten too bizarre
PWRL
Nov 28, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
NY Times bestselling author Rebecca M. Hale worked as a patent attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area for almost ten years before taking time off to write her first novel, HOW TO WASH A CAT. She writes fiction, primarily in the form of quirky mysteries. Her writing is often influenced by her travel experiences and the people she meets along the way.

She now lives in Western Colorado with her feline...more
More about Rebecca M. Hale...
How to Wash a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery #1) Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2) How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3) Adrift on St. John (Mystery in the Islands, #1) How to Paint a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery, #5)