Start by marking “Miss Julia to the Rescue” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia to the Rescue

Miss Julia to the Rescue (Miss Julia #13)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  852 ratings  ·  148 reviews
More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Published April 1st 2012 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia to the Rescue

K
Proper Southern matron meets modern religious practices in Ann Ross’ thirteenth entry in the Miss Julia series based in Abbotsville, North Carolina. This is one series that has changed and grown over the years. A quick synopsis for those who haven’t followed the series: Miss Julia started off the series as a recent widow who discovered that her now-deceased husband had a child (Lloyd) by a mistress (Hazel Marie). We have followed Miss Julia as she accepted Hazel Marie and Lloyd and took the two ...more
Carole
Miss Julia is a middle-aged Southern woman married for the second time; her first husband of forty-something years had an affair which resulted in a baby. Then he died and Miss Julia took in the woman and her baby. Lloyd now an eighth-grader is moving out because his mother has married and moved out after having twins with her new husband, a private eye. Miss Julia is very torn with the idea of Lloyd moving out.

Hazel Marie's husband takes a job looking for a young man and fails to call or come
Heidi
Deb
What has happened to Mrs Julia Murdoch Springer? She leaves the criminal religious cult to do their worse at the end of the book. It's not like her to leave malefactors unpunished - is this one of those books that morphs into two?
Patricia
Rollicking and scatterbrained -- Lucille Ball meets Miss Marple, y'all!
Rebecca
Content - There's a touch of preachy-ness in this one, it's subtle, but I don't care for that sort of thing and it didn't sit well with me. It doesn't matter if I agree with it or not - I still don't like it in fiction. It harmed the story quite a bit.

Mechanics - The plot was all over the place. It meandered through several different scenarios and had the feel of a collection of short stories, none of which had any teeth. Was the author simply meeting a deadline for this one?

Squeaky Clean? - S
Cindy Crawford
The Miss Julia books all follow the same pattern, giving the books a familiar feel, like visiting with old friends or slipping into an old shirt. Sometimes that genial familiarity coupled with gentle southern humor is just what I'm in the mood for. Miss Julia herself is a stock Southern character with a twist--she's the feisty older woman whose appearance and upbringing hide an adventurous spirit who may be old-fashioned but is willing to change her view when she gets to know people who are diff ...more
Audrey Dailey

I do love Miss Julia. In this installment, Sam takes a trip to the Holy Land and while he's gone, Miss Julia decides to remodel their house. (Sam's house is now the Pickens' residence.) While all that is going on--and you can imagine how well Miss Julia handles the upheaval of construction in her house--she and Etta Mae are called to West Virginia to rescue Mr Pickens from trouble. In WV, they encounter unhelpful law enforcement agents and snake handlers, and their rescue of Mr Pickens from the
Mandolin
Mr. Pickens, on another dangerous case, has stumbled upon a nasty group and gotten hurt in the process. Left stripped of all identification and out of his mind with pain, he's being held by the local sheriff under suspicion of involvement in illegal activities. Luckily for him, Miss Julia has an abundance of time on her hands now that Sam is on a trip to the Holy Land and "little" Lloyd is preparing to move out. Dropping her spur-of-the-moment redecorating plans, she rushes to the rescue, along ...more
Donna LaValley
The last of this series I rated only a 2 (!) so here is a leap into more respectable territory. Here Miss Julia takes off with Etta Mae into the lesser-civilized wilds of West Virginia to rescue Mr. Pickens, a grown man and a P.I., but he's a friend with 2 baby girls at home, and he made a strange call for help. With Sam away touring the Holy Land, she is totally justified, you see, in tearing off into probable danger -- or, at the very least, some major discomfort. I liked the changing locales ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I do love the gentleness but proactive journey that each novel in this marvelous series takes me on. This time Miss Julia has to rescue men from dangerous situations.

A strange telephone call comes to Miss Julia, it is from J.D. Pickens and he sounds like he is in dire trouble. As Sam is off visiting the Holy Lands, it is up to Miss Julia and her beloved family/friends to come to J.D.'s aid. He is somewhere in West Virginia and may be hurt...that is if he is the "John Doe" named. Etta Mae Wiggins
Christi
Boy, is that Miss Julia bossy! Her encounters with a small town sheriff and some alternate church members covered in piercings and tattoos are going to really blow her mind.

Add a major remodel of the house and her husband Sam travelling to the Holy Land with a church group and she's got her hands full. Good thing she has a great support system - and a housekeeper!! Sometimes I forget that she's probably in her 70s. She has a lot of spunk and energy.

I think I read the first of these books years
Beth Nanney
I have been a fan of the Miss Julia series since the beginning. Always well written and entertaining, if not a little far fetched. This book started out as usual, with hijinx and shenanigans abounding. The end of the book, however, seemed to just ....stop. It's as if Ms. Ross got tired of writing and wrapped it up as quickly as possible. Still entertaining, but disappointed by the abrupt ending.
Debra
A very enjoyable book starring the indubitable Miss Julia! Once again, she teams up with Etta Mae to save the day - and the hide of JD Pickens. I love reading more about all of the cast of characters and getting to know a few new ones while at it. I find myself laughing at the antics, biting my nails at the suspense, and just plain having a good time while reading!
Terri
Oh, come on now, Ann Ross, did you really need to rely on West Virginia stereotypes to create this latest Miss Julia escapade? Granted, there is an element of hillbilly culture in this state, but I think you will find that in most of the Appalachian states, including yours...

You do us an injustice with your one-sided portrayal of West Virginia and her people.

Having said that, Miss Julia is true to form in this most recent story - barging into all kinds of situations with little regard for her ow
Carol
With Miss Julia's husband, Sam, away on a trip to the Holy Land, it falls to Miss Julia & Etta Mae to rescue J. D. Pickens when he disappears on a case--at the same time a mysterious John Doe turns up in a West Virginia hospital. Not only does she have that chore to worry about, but she's also trying to do some remodeling in her house, and becomes interested in a young carpenter of a religious bent. Then she tangles with an imperious heiress who has returned to the area with a new religious ...more
Harriet
I love this series of books. Being from NC, Miss Julia reminds me of several women that I grew up with in my hometown. The books make me chuckle. Great lighthearted reading and wonderful characters!
Karen
Miss Julia simply can't abide sitting idle. With young Lloyd moving out and husband Sam off to the Holy Land for 2 weeks, Miss Julia's feeling restless already. Maybe, she decides, its time for that long-delayed home makeover.
But before she can even pick a color swatch, Miss Julia must race to the rescue of Hazel Marie's new jusband. J.D. Picnens has gone missing on his latest private investigation.
Hazel Marie can't go after him since she has the 5 month old twins to take care of, so Miss Julia
Kelly
First I have to say that I absolutely love Miss Julia novels. Miss Julia is just hilarious and I find myself frequently laughing out loud. That being said, this was one of my least favorites. I kept waiting for the climax, something big to happen and the conflicts to come to a head. The thing with Mr. Pickens was anti-climatic after all the trouble Etta Mae and Miss Julia went to to get him out. The story line with Adam had promise, but seemed to quickly end. We didn't even really find out what ...more
Cheryl
I love the Miss Julia books. I had not read one for awhile and it was like visiting an old friend. You won't be disappointed if you go on an adventure with Miss Julia. I only wish she were a real person. Charming, witty, and ever in control, I always enjoy the time I spend with her.
Dawn Branch
I just read the last book in the Miss Julia series. I love the series but this was not the best I've read. HOWEVER, one day my great-great grandchildren will wonder how we lived and talked and thought in little old Ayden, NC. Well, chile, this book and all of the Miss Julia series capture perfectly how Southern is done in Pitt County, North Carolina. Ann Ross must have had a bug put in my grandma's house and in my church!! Its a hoot how well Ross captures small town sayings and turns of phrase. ...more
Julia
From a possible cult on the outskirts of Abbotsville to Miss Julia's stint as one of the buddies in a buddy road trip, Miss Julia to the Rescue was a fun read in what has been become a very long series. With JD missing and Hazel Marie unable to go after him because of the twins, who but Miss Julia (riding shotgun for Etta Mae) would be the one to head to his rescue? It's been amazing to follow Miss Julia's growth, in particular her love for her deceased husband's son, Lloyd. The same woman who w ...more
Mary Butler davis
Another great Miss Julia books. If you enjoyed her other books, as I did, you'll definitely enjoy this one, too.
Virma
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Jill
Miss Julia whips it into a frenzy of Etta Mae's tramp stamp. (She could be a cult member!)
Lee Ann
Another fun adventure with miss Julia and friends. Are we losing Etta Mae?
Michael crage
This book was at least readable unlike the prior book in the series.
Debra
Another delightful entry in the Miss Julia series! I truly enjoy these stories.

Peggy Sinden
As always, Miss Julia come through. Good add to my book collection.
Molly Panzer
getting close to having read them all
  • Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4)
  • Buried in Buttercream (Savannah Reid Mystery, #17)
  • To Brie or Not To Brie (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The Alpine Xanadu (Emma Lord Mystery, #24)
  • Canary Island Song (Hideaway #2)
  • Read and Buried (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #2)
  • Dead, White, and Blue (Death on Demand, #23)
  • My Lucky Stars: A Hollywood Memoir
  • Sonoma Rose (Elm Creek Quilts, #19)
  • An Unexpected Family (Ladies of Covington, #7)
  • Sweet Tea Revenge (A Tea Shop Mystery, #14)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3)
  • Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery, #1)
  • Point Clear: A Novel
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Mrs. Pringle of Fairacre (Fairacre Series #17)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Merry Everything! (Dearest Dorothy, #5)
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2) Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5) Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4) Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)