Start by marking “Hounds Abound” as Want to Read:
Hounds Abound

Hounds Abound (Pet Rescue Mystery #3)

Saving animals and solving murders seem to go paw-in-paw for shelter manager and amateur sleuth Lauren Vancouver. But this time, mixed up in a murder that may close a much-needed new shelter. Lauren will have to keep herself and her critters safe from an unleashed killer.
Published April 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Hounds Abound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hounds Abound

Debbie
Jul 09, 2012 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
I like mysteries and I love animal rescue so I figured this would be a good match. I found the main character too literal - being inside her head was like reading through computer code - if... Then ....else...

There was also a lot of filler in this novel - never a good sign. "I went to my office and turned on my computer, I read through my files for a while and reorganized my suspect list..."

And don't get me started on the "marathon training"...a 6 mile marathon? Um that's called a 10k....

Now I
Betty
Aug 04, 2014 Betty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF No originality at all. I have read almost the same story a lot of times
Linda
Jul 09, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, cozy
Okay, three times is the charm or in this case, three strikes and I'm out. This is a multi-published mystery author. This is her second series centered around pets and the people who love them, however, I didn't love any of the first three.

I found this book like the others to be dry and without many compelling characters including the leading lady, Lauren Vancouver and her "friend with benefits" Matt. That's a term we hear way too often in recounting a romance that is more yawn inducing than ful
Karen Desmond
Not the strongest in the series but still an enjoyable read. It would have rated higher but I just find the heroine a little too much self congratulatory and self praising. A little humility wouldn't go a miss.
LORI CASWELL
Jan 21, 2013 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Lauren Vancouver is the administrator at HotRescues, a No-Kill Animal Shelter in Los Angeles, California, but she works with a whole network of groups and people to save and protect our furry friends. Save Them All is a new shelter that is a place for those handicapped and senior pets that need more care and are extremely hard to place in loving homes. Lauren is thrilled about this new shelter and it all ready to help Bella Frankovick promote her new venture anyway she can. Then Bella's husband ...more
Lora
Oct 18, 2012 Lora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of these pet rescue mysteries have had to push myself to get through them. I love pets and mysteries so I expected to like these books, but I really don't.

This one in particular got to me. The 6 mile "marathon" made me think that the author didn't do enough research for the book. The main thing though is I want to "like" the main character in a book (in this type of series)so I care what happens to her as well as the solving of the mystery. Unfortunately, I find it difficult t
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
There is a new shelter in town and Lauren Vancouver is excited. The shelter, "Save Them All Sanctuary" specializes in elder animals and special needs ones. The new shelter certainly fills a need that even the 'no-kill' ones can handle.

The owner of the 'Save 'Em' shelter is Bella Frankovick, a charming and caring woman. However, her ex-husband, Miles doesn't share her love of animals. Especially since it is funded by divorce monies.

Meanwhile, Lauren is also getting ready to participate in a fund
Phyllis
I decided to read this book since I have a rescue dog and I like mysteries. The book has both. I like how the author tied them together. It's the first book I have read by this author. When I started reading this book, I didn't know it was part of a series. It seems like it can be a stand alone book as well.
Lauren, the amateur sleuth , sets out to solve the mystery of who killed Miles and for what reason. There are so many clues pointing to the different characters. Any one of them could have do
Linda Morelli
Mar 27, 2012 Linda Morelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in Johnston's Pet Rescue series. Though I'm only half-way through, it's a wonderful cozy mystery that's got me hooked -- nice murder plot center on a wonderful woman who cares about animals, even the aged and infirm, enough to set up a special shelter. Unfortunately, her ex-husband hates having her spend "his" money (judging from his character and actions, she should have taken it all!). When he winds up dead, she's the main supect. Can't wait to find out who really killed him.
Arlene
Our heroine, Lauren, is the director of a no-kill animal shelter. She is introduced to a nearby shelter that takes in older animals and those who are harder to adopt. Bella, the director of that shelter is going through a nasty divorce and one night Lauren is called over and finds the ex-husband dead in the parking lot. She starts investigating because she doesn't believe that Bella did it and she is afraid that the shelter will be closed if Bella is arrested.
Patricia
Hounds Abound is an enjoyable and fast read. A nice mystery, especially for animals lovers. This novel starts out with the opening of a new no-kill animal shelter which specializes in aging and handicapped animals. The shelters owner, Bella, has gone through a very messy divorce and is now suspected of killing her husband. Luckily Bella has a real friend in Lauren who is on the case to find the killer.
Emilia
May 01, 2016 Emilia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good things I can tell about this one - the rescue pet environment, love to the animals, all that makes up for a nice background... I found the whole book stretching a bit too much for my liking though, and few bits - (as: Marathon is actually 42km, not 6 miles, why not to call it simply a race or a run? If it had any symbolic meaning, I did not catch it :( ) that were like grains of sand in an otherwise tasty sandwich :D
Carol
Nov 06, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, cats
More to dislike than to like for me. I like animal-oriented cozies in general, and I'm a big fan of pet rescue groups, but this book is a little too earnest, too preachy, about pet rescue. The bigger problem is that I really don't like Lauren much. I had reservations with the earlier books, too, but in this one, she just seems like a bumbling, tactless, abrasive idiot to me.

I probably won't attempt Pet Rescue Mystery #4.
Amanda
Apr 18, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First and only book I'll read from the series. The main character, Lauren, would make me run in the other direction if I saw her coming just because she's so smug and nosy. Story line wasn't strong and it dragged on for too long. Some parts read as if they were Twitter updates about Lauren's day and frankly, who cares about that minutiae?
Susan
Dec 24, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just can't get past all the references to running a marathon -- with dogs -- and find out it is a 6-mile race. That's not a marathon. And 6 miles still seems long to run a dog. Lauren is so self-righteous, I really am starting to dislike her character. And the incubation period for parvovirus is 4-5 days... Not instantaneous as the plot suggests.
Sherrie
Jul 18, 2016 Sherrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
unfortunately this was a harder book to read through. I like the main character but this was not one of her better books. It did not keep me from putting the book down and reading something else. Hopefully the next one will be better.
Peggy Clayton
Jan 25, 2015 Peggy Clayton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book about dogs, shelters and a self patting on the back woman Lauren. She comes off pretty strong in the book but if you can manage to get past that you'll really like this one. I really think the author does a great job with the book and dog lovers!
Barbara
A little too heavy handed, but enough of a story to be a fluffy vacation read.
Maggie
May 13, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute mystery series for pet lovers:o) Made me want a dachshund even more that I did!
Julia Wilson
Another good book. I love the animals and the storyline about older and handicapped animals.
Amanda
Apr 25, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way that everyone in Lauren's life pulled together in the end to uncover the truth.
Nancy
Apr 09, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
A murder mystery among pet rescues. Very light, but kind of cute. Great book for teens.
Amy
Jun 16, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun and easy read! Great for pet and animal lovers.
Pat Morris
Another in the pet Rescue mystery series. A quick, mindless read.
Lori B
Apr 17, 2012 Lori B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit tired with the plot; for a cozy, main character is making a lot of explanation of why, even though she is the director of a no-kill pet shelter, she is investigating murders.
Julia Chavez
a little slow going and dare I say, a little boring. I usually love her books but this one, definitely not her best.
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Bride & Groom (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #16)
  • Fashion Faux Paw (Dog Walker Mysteries, #6)
  • Get Fluffy (Pampered Pets Mystery #2)
  • Death of a Dog Whisperer (A Melanie Travis Mystery, #17)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
  • Killer Tails: 8 Pawsome Cat & Dog Cozy Mysteries by 8 Bestselling Authors
  • Murder Most Fowl (Sibyl Potts #2)
  • Perfectly Pickled (Mina Kitchen #4)
Linda O. Johnston's first published fiction appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and won the Robert L. Fish Memorial Award for Best First Mystery Short Story of the Year. Since then, Linda has had more short stories and novellas published, plus, by the end of 2015, she will have had forty-one novels published, including mysteries and romance.

Linda currently writes two cozy mystery series f
More about Linda O. Johnston...

Pet Rescue Mystery (5 books)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Oodles of Poodles (Pet Rescue Mystery #4)
  • Teacup Turbulence (Pet Rescue Mystery, #5)