Start by marking “The View from the Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way in an Uncertain World” as Want to Read:
The View from the Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way in an Uncertain World

The View from the Studio Door: How Artists Find Their Way in an Uncertain World

In the perennial best-seller "Art & Fear," Ted Orland (with David Bayles) examined the obstacles that artists encounter each time they enter their studio and stand before a new blank canvas. Now, in "The View From The Studio Door," Orland turns his attention to broader issues that stand to either side of that artistic moment of truth.

In a text marked by grace, brevity
Published April 1st 2006 by Image Continuum Press

To ask other readers questions about The View from the Studio Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The View from the Studio Door

Forrest
Feb 14, 2008 Forrest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists friends friends of artists
Recommended to Forrest by: Orland (author)
In 54 years, I have read a lot of books. Orland and Bayles wrote "Art and Fear", which to date, is at the top of the heap.

I had high hopes and expectations for this book, and it did not disappoint at all, it's just that there's only one first place, and "Art and Fear" gets it.

Art and Fear concerns itself with why art gets made and doesn't. As much as anything, the tendency to avoid uncomfortable things is the short answer... uncomfortable things like work, poverty, rejection, misunderstanding, i
Robert Bean
Jan 09, 2011 Robert Bean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books, how-to
A good pick-me-up book for artists that are struggling to make their career happen. Has some great stories in it and presents its ideas in a simple, easy to understand manner.
Peter Clothier
Jun 07, 2012 Peter Clothier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a late-comer to Ted Orland's The View From the Studio Door:How Artists Find The Way in an Uncertain World. It was published in 2006, and I'm only just now getting around to it. More's the pity... or maybe it arrived at just the right moment, since I am writing and speaking around that same topic these days, and am finding not only much common ground between us, but also many new thoughts and insights that are truly valuable. It's one of those books in which I pause at every page with the wi ...more
Ross
Feb 05, 2016 Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A kind of Chicken Soup for the Artistic Soul

We go to art school, or we attend a workshop, and we feel energized and inspired, and ready to go out and become the next Great Artist Of Our Generation...

Then we realize that it's a big, loud, and scary world out there; and it seems almost impossible to get anyone to notice our art, let alone care about it even a fraction as much as we do.

Ted tackles this issue head on here. He's frank and clear about the struggles faced by artists in the modern world
bea
This book felt like it had enough filling for a single sandwich, or maybe a piece of toast, but it was spread thinly enough to fill a whole loaf. This is visually obvious in the design--it's got a nice big margin for marginal notes, quotations, what-have-you, but this is mostly blank. (In "The Artist's Way," which I found overrated, this nice marginal area was actually well-stocked with some interesting observations). I tried to glean something inspirational from this book, but after a few attem ...more
Laura Motush
May 22, 2008 Laura Motush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Orland wrote this book for artists. It asks questions that artists run into and is a realistic depiction of what it takes to become an artist. One question that is discussed is how to maintain making art after graduating with a fine art degree and still make a living. Orland emphasizes the importance of hard work and the continuation of practice. It sort of crushes the naive view that being an artist is all fun and no work. I know I would have benefited from reading this book before going on ...more
Clare
May 27, 2013 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a practising artist this was hugely helpful to me and I would recommend it to anyone working as an artist even if you have been at it for years. I can't write a long review on this because it is so good!Just read the book. If you just had one book on creative practice this is it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Brilliant.
Sharon Wildwind
Oct 20, 2014 Sharon Wildwind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book to answer questions, but to raise them. He asks all the hard questions, including the three big ones: Why do humans create art? Why don't all humans create art? How are we to be artists in a world that no longer links art with everyday life. He mentions about 10 classic books related to the why of art. They would make a great bibliography for further reading.
Kimberly Porter
Jul 24, 2013 Kimberly Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Orland is a veteran artist that gives the reader a lot to think about. He asks artists to ponder questions about their work...but his questions are practical and not philosophical. Good food for thought for those who are at the beginning of art careers and those who are re-emerging from their artistic cocoons.
LemontreeLime
This is one of those books that open you up to a dozen different ideas questions answers confusions and directions. Honest and humorous. I forsee reading this one at least once a year when i need a good boot to the head compass reading. Highly recommended!
Destiny Allison
Jan 06, 2012 Destiny Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoughtful, kind and generous look at being an artist today. I particularly liked the way Ted Orland talked about the importance of artist communities and his emphasis on the importance of making art.
Megan
Feb 15, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A professor gave this to me as a gift for helping with various workshops and because I will soon be graduating with my undergraduate degree. This is probably one of the most important and best books for me to have read.
Cynthia
What I most appreciated was his thought process. Orland's way of investigating a problem is a great model for trying to sort through the creative process.
Kim
Jul 07, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about art and its impact on our society, whether you are an artist or a patron.
I'm not an artist, but I'm married to one. I was pleasantly surprised by this book, as I found a lot of the author's insight was useful for me, not just illustrative of my husband's experience.
Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic follow up to Art and Fear. It will be on my list of books to periodically re-read.
Barbara Bechtel
Jul 20, 2011 Barbara Bechtel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By one of the authors of Art and Fear, this is a book that deals with some of the different issues artists face in their journey
Niki Ifill
Not exactly what I expected I wanted something more, I was lost at times by all the fancy words, but I would read it again the author does sound like he has a lot of experience in his field.
Cori Morenberg
Cori Morenberg rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2009
Jim Violett
Jim Violett rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Paige
Paige rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2010
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Marye odom
Marye odom rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2010
Engsayed Sayyedaziizo
Engsayed Sayyedaziizo rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Karen Davis
Karen Davis rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Jean Schnell
Jean Schnell rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
donny
donny rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Roderick Hoekstra
Roderick Hoekstra rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Zofie
Zofie rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Peter Le Grand
Peter Le Grand rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Recovering the Human in an Ideological Age
  • Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist
  • Addicted to Mediocrity (Revised Edition): Contemporary Christians and the Arts
  • It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God
  • Take It Back: A Battle Plan for Democratic Victory
  • Undressed Art: Why We Draw
  • Book: A Futurist's Manifesto
  • Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life
  • Closest Companion: The Unknown Story of the Intimate Relationship Between Franklin Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley
  • I'd Rather Be in the Studio!: The Artist's No-Excuse Guide to Self-Promotion
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
  • State of the Arts
  • Love and Salt: A Spiritual Friendship Shared in Letters
  • Windows of the Soul: Experiencing God in New Ways
  • Blue Arabesque: A Search for the Sublime
  • Creators: From Chaucer and Durer to Picasso and Disney
  • Film as Art

“A degree in art doesn’t automatically make you an artist any more than lacking a degree precludes you from becoming an artist.” 0 likes
“Art school is a small island of acceptance in a vast sea of disinterest.” 0 likes