Start by marking “The Encore Career Handbook: How to Make a Living and a Difference in the Second Half of Life” as Want to Read:

Until recently, most Americans equated the end of a successful career with the beginning of retirement. No more. Now they want to stay in the game (or better, change the game). They want to leave a mark. Make a difference-and continue to make money. From Encore.org, the leading organization in the field, comes a road map to every step of the encore career journey. Here's h ...more
Published December 26th 2012 by Workman Publishing (first published December 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Encore Career Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encore Career Handbook

Jay
Nov 21, 2016 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I was surprised that this book focuses on getting an “encore career” position with a non-profit, after having read multiple other “encore” career books that weren’t quite that limited in thought. After I understood what I was getting, I appreciated the book, in part because I’m keeping working for a non-profit open as a good career option as I head toward my encore time. The book was written well. It had plentiful links to additional information (and the few links I checked were operational, unl ...more
Randolph Breschini
Very timely book...many ideas for the future. This book was a "free-bee" for me at Asia Books in Bangkok after I bought so many books! It is really helpful for one to think about what matters in the twilight of one's career...I highly recommend it. Now...got to put in practice what it teaches!
Brian Ross
Aug 06, 2015 Brian Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for those at mid-life or beyond thinking who want to redirect their work life toward something more in keeping with their (perhaps changing) values and priorities. Namely, for those who want to include "making a difference" - whatever that means for you - as part of what they do.
This is a very down-to-earth "how-to" manual, chock full of ideas, inspirational stories, and practical advice and resources. It offers guidance to help the reader think about what they may want to do, wha
Dave Rothacker
Nov 09, 2013 Dave Rothacker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I STRONGLY suggest people under the age of forty read this book. Same old same old's keep us stuck in neural pathways to nowhere. But a tweak, a little different view and or perspective, and the tracks that our brain crave for us to lay become white hot and vibrant.

Napoleon Hill made the word "careful" reverent to me. Marci Alboher carefully and meticulously covers the roadmap necessary for change.

Younger people should read this book to learn what older people are going through. Why? Well other
Lisa  Carlson
Apr 10, 2013 Lisa Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people in transition
Shelves: how-to
A wonderful primer for people going through change. It doesn't matter what you are experiencing later in life you have the power to move in a better direction. Alboher is VP of Encore. org; has a BA and law degree and speaks on the subject. If you are already in your own encore this book will simply emphasize what you already know and if you need yet another reason to make a change; her book lays out a comprehensive guide to beginning. There is a wonderful resource/index at the end of the book. ...more
PeterBlackCoach
Whilst written more for a US readership, the principles are still the same for mature age workers, baby boomers, people looking what to do after they turn 50 etc. The book certainly challenges the traditional concept of retirement and provides hope and encouragement to people to consider alternatives in what could be 30+ years.
Steph
Apr 10, 2013 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good inspirational read for people who are looking to change careers in the mid-life and beyond. I skimmed through most of it because I'm not quite there yet and she focuses a lot on people who are in their 50s and beyond who mainly want to get into non-profit work. Perhaps I'll read this again in a decade or so when I want to leave the corporate world.
Patrick Walsh
The Encore Career Handbook is a great resource for anyone considering a career change or faced with the need to find new employment after a number of years in an industry in which they might no longer be able to find work.
Kathy
Jun 02, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of wonderful information and examples of returning to a "second career" in the second half! Inspiring and thought provoking.
A must read for anyone who is thinking about what to do after the current career is over.
Paul L
Mar 24, 2014 Paul L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthwhile read for people looking to pursue the next phase of their working life. Most examples are of people in their 50s and older, but the philosophies and suggestions are useful to people of any age.
Tina Casteris
Jan 17, 2016 Tina Casteris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice reference for those in transition or looking to make a change. I especially enjoyed the stories of others who used the prior experience, explored a passion, or reinvented themselves for new work. Inspirational!
Mark
May 19, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource and motivational read. Highly recommended!!!
David R.
There's a lot of good material here for the person pondering an "encore career". Be advised that term here is largely defined as doing work in the nonprofit sector.
Susan Mack
great resource for anyone in career transition, not just those in their encore years.
Dale P
Feb 04, 2013 Dale P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
eh.
Ellen Oberhart
Very good. Many resources and helpful tips.
Margie
Jun 08, 2013 Margie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of ideas and guidance for those who are at a transition time of their lives, workwise.
Mark
Jul 24, 2013 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Aimed at people leaving profit business & headed (primarily) for non-profit... since I'm doing the reverse (sort of), not really applicable.
Mary Pauline
I will admit, this wasn't read from first page to last. This was more of a quick skip around read.
Jody Davis
Jan 16, 2017 Jody Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for those looking to move forward

Loved the advice for 2nd life in the working world. Great resource to find your next move. Definitely would recommend.
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
May 01, 2017
Christina
Christina rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2013
Estelle
Estelle rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Re
Re rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Anne Wilkinson
Anne Wilkinson rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2017
Joanne Dillon
Joanne Dillon rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Herm
Herm rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Laurie B. Skoroda
Laurie B. Skoroda rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from Your Passions During Semi-Retirement
  • The Big Shift: Navigating the New Stage Beyond Midlife
  • Life Reimagined: Discovering Your New Life Possibilities
  • Your Next Move: The Leader's Guide to Navigating Major Career Transitions
  • The Failure of Success: Redefining what matters
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? 2016: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
  • Merry F#%$in' Christmas
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Make a Fortune Selling to Women
  • The Quick Start Guide to Healthy Eating
  • There Is More!: The Secret to Experiencing God's Power to Change Your Life
  • Devotional Collection: 80 Christian Devotions about God's Love and Acceptance
  • Working with Really Stupid People: The Neighbors
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • Chasing Cows: I'm Not in the Suburbs Anymore