A Single Thread

A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,759 ratings  ·  447 reviews
Marie Bostwick weaves the unforgettable story of four very different women whose paths cross, changing their lives forever. . . It's a long way from Fort Worth, Texas, to New Bern, Connecticut, yet it only takes a day in the charming Yankee town to make Evelyn Dixon realize she's found her new home. The abrupt end of her marriage was Evelyn's wake-up call to get busy chasi...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published November 1st 2008)

GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 04, 2008 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer/ Barbara
Shelves: favorites, fiction
"I always tell students that quilts are made up of straight lines, but that isn't true. Quilts are made of broken lines, just like life. Over and over again, we try and walk a straight path but run into dead ends, sharp corners and uneven ground that cuts us off and forces us to change direction. Sometimes it's painful, other times joyful. But it isn't until you take a moment to stand still, step off the line, and back away that you finally see the truth. Those unexpected turns and startling abo...more
Katrina Burchett
Newly divorced Evelyn Dixon needed a change. She drove from Forth Worth, TX to the town of New Bern, CT, happened upon an old run down shop for rent and realized that she’d found a new home; a place to make her dream of owning a quilt shop a reality. She loved quilting and she was determined to make this new business work even though people told her it wouldn’t last.
Abigail Burgess Wynne, the wealthiest woman in New Bern, had many acquaintances but her attorney, Franklin, was her only friend. He...more
Jackie
Having read a few other reviews, I'll just chip in my "two cents worth". I enjoyed this book. I agree that it isn't full of anything really new. But: I did not feel manipulated. I enjoyed the characters. I mostly liked the dialogue. And I just plain enjoyed the reading of this book.

One particular thing that jumped out at me: the absence of the foul language that so permeates books today. It is possible to write something that most people enjoy without resorting to such unpleasantness, this book...more
Kathleen
Yet another book about strong women, struggling women, rallying women, blah blah blah. And guess what! Happy endings for everyone - all neatly tied up in a bow. Everyone falls in love, resolves their issues, gets healthy and lives happily ever after helping the less fortunate and kicking the bad guy to the curb. Reminded me way to much of Blossom Street, which was worse in terms of prose, but very parallel in storyline.
This one was very predicable, characters luke warm in the likeable department...more
Gloria Bernal
This is the first contemporary novel Marie has written. Her previous novels were historical fiction based around wartime which I personally found myself enthralled in. She is one of the most gifted writer I have come across in recent years.

This one is written well and features a group of women who come together through quilting, not an original concept as there are countless others but Marie pulled
these women together well. Each quilter has her own story and cross to bear, also not unique but I...more
Brenda
I really enjoyed this book. It was a well-written, heartwarming story about some strangers with different backgrounds that become good friends after meeting at a breast cancer fundraiser (Quilt Pink) held in the shop of one of the women. The chapters are told in first person from the perspective of the different women which you would think would bug me, but it didn't. :-) Maybe it was because I could see part of myself in most of the characters.
JayeL
Bonnie
This is a gentle, wonderful story about the miracles of friendship and is testament to the saying that "when one door closes, another one opens". This happens for Evelyn, the main character in A Single Thread. Evelyn's husband of close to thirty years surprises her one day with the announcement that he wants a divorce. This changes the course of Evelyn's future and she ends up moving from Texas to a small town in Connecticut. Evelyn has always had a dream to open a quilt shop and she is able to...more
Vivian
I couldn't wait to start this one, it got such great reviews from critics and readers alike. Evelyn Dixon has always dreamed about opening up a quilt shop. After her divorce, she relocates from Texas to New Bern, Conn. and after dealing with several issues connected to the old building she purchased for her shop and apartment, Evelyn's doors finally open. Here she forms friendships with several women with stories of their own.

I wish that I could say that I loved this book, but I couldn't even fi...more
Kelly
I normally dislike the type of books wherein everyone rallys around a person in need and that person in need soldiers bravely on.
I also found the writig in the book a little akward and the ending predictible.
However, having said that this book also drew me in in spite of my dislikes. There was something appealing about Abigal Burgess and the relationship with her niece as well as the depections of individuals coming together as a community.
Violet
I enjoyed reading this. It started out slow, but about midway through it got really compelling. It does have some of the traits I generally dislike in women's fiction (some predictable plot lines, although there were some nice twists in this one, and all-to-convenient solutions. Where in real life can I find a rich fairy godmother?) but overall, it was very entertaining and heartwarming.
Marsha
The characters of this book are so well developed. You can almost see the people as they walk through the cobblestone streets of New Bern, CT. After reading this tome, I better understood the specific challenges of fighting breast cancer. I'm looking forward to Bostwick's next novel coming out May 2009.
Michele
"Cling to your friends and be a friend to others. The need for friendship is the single thread that we all have running through us."
Trish
In the first chapter our heroine Evelyn describes an early childhood encounter with shelves and shelves of towels in graduated colors, colors merging almost imperceptibly into one another, though the color wheel. Right away I was listening. This is a book about women’s community formed around the craft of quilting. Several of the women were actually resistant to this notion in the beginning, which further endeared me to the author.

Things weren’t going especially well for Evelyn, who had recently...more
Dale Harcombe
This was a charming, easy to read book which I greatly enjoyed. I admit to being a sucker for books about crafts that I have no aptitude for. A Single Thread is one that deals with quilting but so much more than that. It is about friendship, love, loss, the challenges of life and second chances.
After the demise of her marriage, Evelyn Dixon moves to the town of New Bern where she opens a quilt shop. There she meets Abigail, a wealthy well connected person in town, her niece Liza and Margot curre...more
Lindsey
First of all, this book was a beautiful story of a woman's struggle with diagnosis, treatment and dealing with breast cancer. I thought that part of the story was well done.

Other than that, it's not one of my favourite books. I felt some of the characters to be a bit contrived and some of the situations a bit too convenient. The romantic pairing up of everyone at the end of the story is a little over the top, and some of the christian references a little too cheesy.

The story is narrated by 2 wo...more
Ruth
Evelyn and her husband were the owners of a 3000 sq. ft. house in Texas. When they renovated their kitchen, her husband told her that they were going to put in the granite countertops because they were going to live in that house for the rest of their lives and he wanted to have something that would last. Little did she know that a few months after that he would stand in that kitchen and tell her that after 25 years he wanted a divorce. The countertops lasted, the marriage didn't. Evelyn's only...more
Maki
I picked up A Single Thread because it looked a lot like The Dress by Sophie Nicholls, minus the magic. I really enjoyed The Dress, so I figured I'd go a head and give this book a try.

It was...different than I'd expected. The main plot focuses on Evelyn's fight against breast cancer, and how she overcomes her struggles with help from her newfound friends, quilting, and just a bit of luck. Of course, that's only the main plot - there are several side plots that help keep the story interesting thr...more
Carol
Dec 14, 2011 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Book group pick
Shelves: fiction
This was the perfect book for December. It was an easy read about middle-aged Evelyn who needs to make it on her own after her husband dumps her for the younger woman. She relocates from her Texas home to a small in Connecticut where she decides to follow a life-time passion for quilting by opening The Cobbled Court Quilt Shop. Though not all is happy, the story never makes you feel like stopping reading.

The story examines friendships, women’s issues, self-worth, teenage angst, love, loyalty, b...more
Audrey
This is some of the wort female-driven crap I've ever read. It's filled with insipidly bad dialogue, gag-worthy contrived plotlines, and eye-rollingly predictable characters. She tries to put together this clunky piece of garbage by using cheap manipulative female drama elements, like death, divorce, adultery, quilting (by far the worst metaphor I've ever seen used in a book) and breast cancer. One gets the impression she stole all the material off of some Lifetime: Television for Women movie fr...more
Nisanur Uludağ
hiç hayattan uzak olmayan sıcacık bi hikaye. olağanüstü aşırı heyecan yaratan bişey olmamasına rağmen su gibi okudum. bittikten sonra yüzünüzde tatlı bi tebessüm bırakacak.
Julie
Great read! I love a book that comes to life for me - as if I'm in the theater watching everything unfold right in front of me. A Single Thread did that for me. I could picture the characters, the facial expressions, the town, shop, the street...When I finished the book I remember thinking "why did I wait so long to read this?" It was in my TBR pile for a year or more. But then, someone I love was just diagnosed with breast cancer, so maybe this was when I was meant to read it. I like to think s...more
Tina
This book is a about how the unexpected turns in life open us up to new possibilities and new relationships. With quilting as a single thread in common, a life derailed takes a new direction and changes the lives of many. Not being a quilter it opened up my mind to the possibility that I might even want to give it a try or at least learn more about the stories quilts tell. Im going to definitely explore the sequels Bostwick wrote when she turned this into "the cobbled quilt" series.
Staci
Jan 16, 2010 Staci rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Staci by: http://redladysreadingroom-redlady.blogspot.com/2009/03/review-s
Shelves: 2010-reads
What a lovely book!! There wasn't a part in this novel that I didn't enjoy or truly believe could happen. I'm a big sucker for stories that involve women, hardship, friendships, and some sort of craft, this one has it all. I wanted to live in their town and be friends with all of them. I could so see myself learning how to quilt with the help of Evelyn, the main character.Thankfully, there is a sequel, A Thread of Truth, which is resting happily on my library loot shelf!!
Kristin Redmond
Newly divorced Evelyn takes a trip to New England on the spur of the moment – from Texas. She stops in Connecticut and wanders around the little town and feels oddly at home. On a whim she decides to move there and open a quilting shop, the one she always wanted to have. As Evelyn gets settled and makes friend and meets customers, her life has more ups and downs. Enjoy this book and the new people in her life as they all get to know each other.
Terry
I read this in sequence with The Lover's Knot (fiction with a quilting theme). Bostwick would be easy to recommend to library users--this title is used in conjunction with breast cancer fundraisers, for obvious reasons. Comfort read--good sense of female bonding and trying to start fresh. Set in small town Connecticut. Wouldn't have to quilt to like this one either; it's the coming together angle that's so compelling.
Rose
I really enjoyed reading this novel so much to the point that I finished it in 3 days! The author did a splendid job at making the characters come alive as I was reading. What drew me to reading this book was the fact that my mother and my sister both quilt, but then as I read along their was more too it than just quilting. Their is a story of struggle and survival through the power of friendship and love.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2013 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Family member
Fantastic story (or, shall I say, stories) that captured my attention from beginning to end. Character development was phenomenal, and the way the women's lives intertwined seemed realistic despite their very different backgrounds. Great book about the random nature of life and relationships -- a must-read.
Cyn
I loved this wonderful read. Living in Texas I miss the northeast and the warm feeling of home that area gives to me. I miss the quilt shops filled with beautiful fabrics and notions. The characters could be the women in my guild.
They feel like home to me and so does this book.
An overall great read.
Tammy O
I enjoyed parts of this book--the details of Evelyn's quilt shop business and the quilting process--which was new to me. And I liked the characters. But some of it seemed a bit cheesy and predictable, with too many pages of repetitive thoughts and worries.
  • The Lost Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #14)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society (Sweetgum Knit #1)
  • Knit One Pearl One (Jo Mackenzie, #3)
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Connecticut and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
More about Marie Bostwick...
A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Quilt #2) A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3) Threading the Needle (Cobbled Quilt #4) Ties That Bind (Cobbled Quilt #5) Between Heaven and Texas

“Between one breath and the next, your whole world can change. ” 4 likes
“One thing I know from experience," she said, "it's always a lot easier to be a conqueror if you don't try to go it alone. You didn't see Napoleon riding off to battle with just himself and his trusty sword. He brought in some backup.” 1 likes