Start by marking “Falling for Eli: How I Lost Heart, Then Gained Hope Through the Love of a Singular Horse” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Falling for Eli: How I...

Nancy Shulins

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Nancy Shulins had a great career, a loving husband, and was looking forward to having a family. Cheering as her friends got pregnant and dutifully bringing gaily wrapped gifts to every baby shower, she suffered bout after bout of unsuccessful infertility treatment. Devastated, she slowly heals through the most unexpected route: the love of a good (if cranky) horse named El ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Falling for Eli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling for Eli

Linda
Falling for Eli is a horsey memoir about how the author worked through her grief over not being able to bear a child by rekindling her childhood love of horses. The author is a talented writer, and obviously very committed to her horse, maybe to the point of obsession. But as she unflinchingly explains her devotion to this animal, who is kept at a series of boarding stables quite a long drive away, she also relates her struggles to learn dressage, the amount of vet bills this horse piles up, and ...more
Amy
In my youth—from childhood through high school—I rode horses and competed in three-phase events [dressage, eventing and stadium jumping] as well as in horse shows. In short I was an accomplished equestrian. I rode year-round sometimes on two and three-hour-long trail rides. I took lessons, attended clinics, belonged to pony club and 4-H.

Former AP writer Nancy Shulins failed to get pregnant in her late 30s as she’d hoped. The unsuccessful fertility treatments proved heartbreaking especially surro
Kandy Scaramuzzo
A Horse Is Good For the Soul

I was provided this book for an honest review. I was thrilled to death to get it. I just love horse books and stories, especially true ones. Being a horse owner myself, I can relate to many of the issues and triumphs of owning and keeping horses.
In this book, Nancy shows her issues of not fitting into societal norms for women her age. It shows her struggles and trials to find her place in life. She already had a great husband and a fantastic job, but according to so
Beverly
Nancy Shulins had a great career, a loving husband, and suffered numerous unsuccessful infertility treatments. Devastated, she slowly heals through the most unexpected route: the love of a good (if cranky) horse named Eli. A great story of love, personal salvation and caring.
Maggie Dana
Jun 06, 2012 Maggie Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maggie by: RJ Julia, booksellers
This is one of those rare books you don't want to end. Half-way through, I began reading it really s-l-o-w-l-y so it would last longer.

Beautifully written and beautifully told, FALLING FOR ELI grabbed me from the very first page and didn't let go until the last. In fact, it still hasn't let go and I finished reading it three days ago. It's the sort of book that stays with you long after the last page is turned.

Nancy Shulins is a talented journalist who really knows how to paint big pictures with
Ingrid
This is an excellent book about a middle-aged woman who falls in love with a horse who fills the void of her being unable to have children. Both humorous and moving, it chronicles her journey of bonding with her horse and learning about horse care and riding. She is a total beginner in the world of dressage and her horse is a chestnut OTTB and this story tells how they learn together with several different trainers and at several different barns. At times triumphant, at times tragic, it's a thor ...more
Margaret Kalvar
As a rider and horse owner, I could really relate to all the barn issues as well as the love and bonding that grew between the author and her horse. I was most impressed by the author's veterinary knowledge and the thoroughness with which she learned about all aspects of equine care---her riding was only part of the whole package. The only criticism is that, at times, the book read a bit like a litany of horse ailments/injuries... but of course that only made the bond stronger as the owner and t ...more
Gaby Szemes
I found this book really inspirational in terms of working with my own OTTB (off the track thoroughbred). A lot of Nancy's struggles sounded very familiar so I could really relate to her. Horses are such magnificent creatures- they are healers and they make us confront our weaknesses so we can overcome them. Nancy really got me thinking and gave me the boost I needed to keep at it. My only complaint? I want to know what happened next!! I guess it's a story that's still in the making, but I would ...more
Alice
Jun 16, 2012 Alice added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horse lovers
Recommended to Alice by: Neiba ?
I liked reading this book very much. I owned a hose for many years in my youth and have often, lately, thought of going back to rising. This book was so thoroughly in the equestrian world, I had the chance to spend time in a stable, remember what it felt like to ride well and the pang of realizing how much one grows so close to a horse.
I realized that I cannot go back to that all-onsuming world, but I feel like I have had the chance to spend quality time in it.
A great read.
cati
Annie gave me this for Christmas. I really liked the horse, the rider/writer was a total neurotic mess. I have to give it to her for sharing some of her stuff, but she in my opinion did not do herself or her horse any real service. I am glad they were there for each other, but the horse got the short end of the stick. Compared to my riding experience, this poor woman was a train wreck and her husband a saint.

Last horse book for awhile. Taking a break.
Suesan
If you ride horses or just love horses this a great fast read. I could really relate to this story. It is an amazing story of love honor and commitment and I am not talking about to another human being, but to this wonderful frustrating always forgiving horse. I loved this book.
Christina Griffiths
I loved this book. My life and horse experiences paralleled hers in so many ways - great husband, no kids, and bought a horse later in life. Mine is an adorable Paint horse with too much personality, who taught me many life lessons through adventure, commitment, determination, injuries and illness and lots and lots of love!
Jessica
Really good book. I know the debate is whether or not the writer/rider was extreme/neurotic in her care of eli's many ailments. As a horse owner I might find her extreme but I understand the sentiment and I know many other horse owners who would do the same. Overall a wonderful book and quick read.
Poet in the Dark
This was a really enjoyable read; I liked this book very much. (view spoiler)
Deborah Darsie
A wonderful blend of human-horse bonding and self-discovery.
The tone of the story was engaging, I felt like I could relate on a number of levels including the struggle to accept criticism\guidance without it crushing my enthusiasm.

And hey - Eli is a horse we get to know fairly well.
Carissa
As someone who has been unfortunate enough to enter the horse world a little bit later than most, I have found this book easy to relate to. It warmed my heart and allowed me to await the far off coming of my own horse with a sense of both relief and longing.
Carolyn Haley
True story of how a horse helps a bereft woman heal. See my review at New York Journal of Books: http://nyjournalofbooks.com/review/fa...
Michelle Sandberg
I liked this book. I always wanted a horse when I was younger and am now living my dream through my daughter having one. I enjoyed all of the author's tales of her bonding an learning with Eli.
Pam Harris
This started out as a promising read but ended up just a story about the stereotypical neurotic boarder that every one can't stand. To her credit she loved the horse but she is just way too annoying
Meghan Weatherford
This book is one of my favorite horse books of all time. Eli is such a character, and it is obvious that Mrs. Nancy loves him too death! If your a horse lover or not, this is a perfect book.
Sheilah
I enjoyed the process the author went through as she made room in her life for Eli. As the owner of a horse that I am just crazy about, I was able to identify with much of the story.
Tricia Tierney
Wonderfully written memoir. You'll guffaw with laughter on one page and weep on another. Anyone who has ever suffered unrequited longing will relate.
Ellen Eakin
I am a real horsey person but even though I am this bored me to death. Way too much information of the doting of her horse in my opinion
Pam Akin
I never wanted this book to end. A great reflection on picking yourself up by your bootstraps, again and again. Truly inspiring.
Debbie
This was a good story about having a horse and her adventures while having the horse. I liked this story.
Morgan Stahlhut
This is very much a feel good book! I loved it and finished it quickly. Wish there was more to this story!
Kari
I enjoyed this book. It is more about finding yourself through hard times and those that help us.
Ta N.
A story for horse-lovers, but to my surprise it was hilarious-- made me laugh so many times!
Susan Shepard
Well written, heartwarming memoir. I cheered, I cried, I laughed! Truly an enjoyable book.
Denise
what a wonderful story. it will be one of my favorites for years to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • The Rescue of Belle and Sundance: One Town's Incredible Race to Save Two Abandoned Horses
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • The Horse Lover: A Cowboy's Quest to Save the Wild Mustangs
  • Foal in the Fog (Animal Ark Hauntings #5)
  • Catch Rider
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • My Favorite Mistake (The A Circuit, #2)
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Cowboy and His Elephant
  • Horses Never Lie about Love: The Heartwarming Story of a Remarkable Horse Who Changed the World Around Her
  • The Ghost Horse: A True Story of Love, Death, and Redemption
  • Keeping Secrets (Timber Ridge Riders, #1)
  • Zen Mind, Zen Horse: The Science and Spirituality of Working with Horses
  • Maestoso Petra (Horse Diaries, #4)
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
Every Day I Love You More: (Just Not Today): Lessons in Loving One Partner for Life Every Day I Love You More: Just Not Today!