Start by marking “Deviant Love” as Want to Read:
Deviant Love

Deviant Love

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sigmund Freud, the founder of modern psychoanalysis, radically altered our view of the human mind by exploring our hidden drives, as is shown here in his groundbreaking writings on love and desire.
Paperback, Penguin Great Loves #11, 102 pages
Published February 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deviant Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviant Love

Jonathan
Well communicated treatise on the cause of sexual 'deviations' but, in my personal opinion, limited in its scope and incredibly dated in its representation of the female and the development of feminine sexuality.
Katie
Oh Freud, what are you like?
Abbey
An interesting read with many ideas that make the reader assess the basis of sexuality. The section on 'Sexual Deviations' was probably the most fascinating, although the chapter on 'The Virginity Taboo' was also quite enlightening. The least coherent chapter seemed to be 'On Female Sexuality', since much emphasis was at first put on the end attachment to the father but was rarely mentioned in subsequent detail.
Fnayou
Apr 20, 2014 Fnayou added it
this book introduced a different approach to understand some of the sexual behaviors of the human being. Even though the jargon is quite difficult to understand, I had definitely enjoyed the way to analyse psychologically some sexual behaviors.
Allison White
Was expecting more from this and was lacking in something.
Emilie
Seriously? Freud was one messed up man! Interesting to read about these phenomena we have now incorporated into common parlance (sounds so pretentious but do you have a better way to say that?), but it's all just so wrong. I did think he had a very nice, non-judgemental view of homosexuality, but the section on the sexuality of women - wtf!
Misha
Meh. I expected more of him, call me naieve but I did. Even though he seems pretty okay with homosexuality, he is rather womenunfriendly. His unnuanced opinions about women stated as facts combined with overly nuanced other statements (so that they become meaningless) made me nodd off (literally a couple of times). Do not want.
Allison Zink
While Freud's theories do provide fundamental foundation for modern psychology, his specific observations and micro-theories are outdated and narrow-minded.
Tim Caines
Hmmm... first book I've read on Freud. Seemed a bit dated however there were some interesting cultural references.
Annabelle
its funny reading this on the subway... the cover is SO UNSUBTLE.
Lauren
Weird, wonderful, interesting, at times hilarious.
AnnabelLee
AnnabelLee is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Abimari Scott
Abimari Scott is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2015
Bell.
Bell. marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Ghaith Lattouf
Ghaith Lattouf marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Antonia G.
Antonia G. marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Braden Layne
Braden Layne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Charlotte Webster
Charlotte Webster is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Lisa Sherban
Lisa Sherban marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Urie Hori
Urie Hori marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Aishvarya
Aishvarya marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Cures for Love
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Great Loves, #2)
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Penguin Great Loves, #3)
  • Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1)
  • Bodily Secrets
  • The Women Who Got Away
  • A Mere Interlude
  • A Russian Affair
  • Something Childish But Very Natural (Penguin Great Loves, #13)
  • Eros Unbound
  • Magnetism
  • The Seducer's Diary
  • The Virgin and the Gipsy
  • Mary
  • Person to Person: The Problem of Being Human
  • Beyond the Chains of Illusion: My Encounter with Marx and Freud
  • The Child, the Family, and the Outside World
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The
More about Sigmund Freud...
The Interpretation of Dreams Civilization and Its Discontents The Ego and the Id Totem and Taboo Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis