Start by marking “Deviant Love” as Want to Read:
Deviant Love

Deviant Love

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Sigmund Freud, the founder of modern psychoanalysis, radically altered our view of the human mind by exploring our hidden drives, as is shown here in his groundbreaking writings on love and desire.
Paperback, Penguin Great Loves #11, 102 pages
Published February 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deviant Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviant Love

Jonathan
Well communicated treatise on the cause of sexual 'deviations' but, in my personal opinion, limited in its scope and incredibly dated in its representation of the female and the development of feminine sexuality.
Katie
Oh Freud, what are you like?
Abbey
An interesting read with many ideas that make the reader assess the basis of sexuality. The section on 'Sexual Deviations' was probably the most fascinating, although the chapter on 'The Virginity Taboo' was also quite enlightening. The least coherent chapter seemed to be 'On Female Sexuality', since much emphasis was at first put on the end attachment to the father but was rarely mentioned in subsequent detail.
Fnayou
Apr 20, 2014 Fnayou added it
this book introduced a different approach to understand some of the sexual behaviors of the human being. Even though the jargon is quite difficult to understand, I had definitely enjoyed the way to analyse psychologically some sexual behaviors.
Allison White
Was expecting more from this and was lacking in something.
Emilie
Seriously? Freud was one messed up man! Interesting to read about these phenomena we have now incorporated into common parlance (sounds so pretentious but do you have a better way to say that?), but it's all just so wrong. I did think he had a very nice, non-judgemental view of homosexuality, but the section on the sexuality of women - wtf!
Misha
Meh. I expected more of him, call me naieve but I did. Even though he seems pretty okay with homosexuality, he is rather womenunfriendly. His unnuanced opinions about women stated as facts combined with overly nuanced other statements (so that they become meaningless) made me nodd off (literally a couple of times). Do not want.
Allison Zink
While Freud's theories do provide fundamental foundation for modern psychology, his specific observations and micro-theories are outdated and narrow-minded.
Tim Caines
Hmmm... first book I've read on Freud. Seemed a bit dated however there were some interesting cultural references.
Annabelle
its funny reading this on the subway... the cover is SO UNSUBTLE.
Lauren
Weird, wonderful, interesting, at times hilarious.
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Nina Youkhanna
Nina Youkhanna marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Nathalie Weasley
Nathalie Weasley marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Wolf Price
Wolf Price marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Cinnamon Swirl
Cinnamon Swirl marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Victoria Bakshina
Victoria Bakshina marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Imad Dahmani
Imad Dahmani marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sarah Koob
Sarah Koob marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ayse Alpaslan
Ayse Alpaslan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Beracha
Beracha marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Veronika Říhovská
Veronika Říhovská marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Cures for Love
  • The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love (Penguin Great Loves, #3)
  • Of Mistresses, Tigresses and Other Conquests
  • Forbidden Fruit: From The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Great Loves, #2)
  • Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1)
  • Bodily Secrets
  • A Mere Interlude
  • The Women Who Got Away
  • Something Childish But Very Natural (Penguin Great Loves, #13)
  • Magnetism
  • Mary
  • Person to Person: The Problem of Being Human
  • Beyond the Chains of Illusion: My Encounter with Marx and Freud
  • Identity and the Life Cycle
Sigmund Freud (Arabic: سيغموند فرويد)
On this date in 1856, Sigmund Freud was born in Moravia. Freud grew up in Vienna, where he lived until fleeing the Nazis in 1938. He earned a medical degree from the University of Vienna in 1881. He and Joseph Breuer co-wrote Studies in Hysteria (1895). Freud developed his theory on psychoanalysis, then wrote The Interpretation of Dreams (1900), The Psychopatho
More about Sigmund Freud...
The Interpretation of Dreams Civilization and Its Discontents The Ego and the Id Totem and Taboo Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis