Deviant Love

Deviant Love

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Sigmund Freud, the founder of modern psychoanalysis, remade our view of the human mind by exploring the unconscious forces that drive us. Part of the 'Great Loves' series, this collection of Freud's writings on the psychology of love examines the nature of desire, transgression, fantasy, and erotic taboo.
Paperback, Penguin Great Loves #11, 102 pages
Published February 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deviant Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviant Love

Jonathan
Well communicated treatise on the cause of sexual 'deviations' but, in my personal opinion, limited in its scope and incredibly dated in its representation of the female and the development of feminine sexuality.
Katie
Oh Freud, what are you like?
Abbey
An interesting read with many ideas that make the reader assess the basis of sexuality. The section on 'Sexual Deviations' was probably the most fascinating, although the chapter on 'The Virginity Taboo' was also quite enlightening. The least coherent chapter seemed to be 'On Female Sexuality', since much emphasis was at first put on the end attachment to the father but was rarely mentioned in subsequent detail.
Fnayou
Apr 20, 2014 Fnayou added it
this book introduced a different approach to understand some of the sexual behaviors of the human being. Even though the jargon is quite difficult to understand, I had definitely enjoyed the way to analyse psychologically some sexual behaviors.
Emilie
Seriously? Freud was one messed up man! Interesting to read about these phenomena we have now incorporated into common parlance (sounds so pretentious but do you have a better way to say that?), but it's all just so wrong. I did think he had a very nice, non-judgemental view of homosexuality, but the section on the sexuality of women - wtf!
Aingheal Apryll
Meh. I expected more of him, call me naieve but I did. Even though he seems pretty okay with homosexuality, he is rather womenunfriendly. His unnuanced opinions about women stated as facts combined with overly nuanced other statements (so that they become meaningless) made me nodd off (literally a couple of times). Do not want.
Allison Zink
While Freud's theories do provide fundamental foundation for modern psychology, his specific observations and micro-theories are outdated and narrow-minded.
Tim Caines
Hmmm... first book I've read on Freud. Seemed a bit dated however there were some interesting cultural references.
Annabelle
its funny reading this on the subway... the cover is SO UNSUBTLE.
Lauren
Weird, wonderful, interesting, at times hilarious.
Drama Queen
Drama Queen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Bluewonderland
Bluewonderland marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ieva
Ieva marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Anmol Jain
Anmol Jain marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kell
Kell marked it as to-read
Serb
Serb marked it as to-read
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Candace Greenough
Candace Greenough marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Conjolivre
Conjolivre marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Arys
Arys is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Konrad
Konrad added it
Jul 16, 2014
Oana
Oana marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, was a physiologist, medical doctor, psychologist and influential thinker of the early twentieth century. Working initially in close collaboration with Joseph Breuer, Freud elaborated the theory that the mind is a complex energy-system, the structural investigation of which is the proper province of psychology. He articulated and refined the concepts of...more
More about Sigmund Freud...
The Interpretation of Dreams Civilization and Its Discontents The Ego and the Id Totem and Taboo Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis