Start by marking “Foxfire” as Want to Read:

Foxfire

Foxfire, one of Anya Seton's best-known novels, was made into a movie soon after the book published. The film starred Jane Russell and Jeff Chandler.
Published September 1st 1950 by Mariner Books (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire

BAM The Bibliomaniac
This is the first Anya Seton book I've read that's not considered historical fiction. What I took away from it was a sense of being happy with what one has and the importance of maturity in new life situations. A simpering, spoiled child marries a sullen, independent miner and moves from her sheltered family's home in the Northeast to her husband's gruff shack in the Southwest. She's clingy and coddled. She consistently makes choices that weaken her marriage, and he is too hard headed to admit a ...more
Carol Storm
Jul 20, 2011 Carol Storm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely vile.

The heroine is an insufferably spoiled racist snob, and the hero is a "savage" half-Apache (modernized with a college education) whom she "tames" through an endless marriage filled with teasing sex, manipulation, and financial scheming.

But when I describe it like this, I make it sound much sexier than it really is.

Because the whole book is deadly dull.

Except when it's really, really offensive.
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foxfire is set in early 1930s depression era as slightly spoiled Amanda Lawrence meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Despite Dart's poor prospects as a mining engineer, sparks fly and they are married and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Arizona. Unused to the rougher aspects of life, Amanda has a difficult time settling in to her new life as well as mixing in with the mining community peopled with unusua ...more
Maura
Jun 27, 2008 Maura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite that I re-read every so often. A good story about two people learning to live together despite very different backgrounds. He is so true to his ideals that he cannot bend; she is so flexible that she seems to lose her own sense of self. This was made into a really crappy B movie in the 50's or 60's that didn't seems to have any relation to the book other than the title and it was set in a western mining town.
Deb
Dec 17, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early 1930's depression era when Amanda meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Amanda has had a lovely, somewhat spoiled life, and Dart is well-educated, professor father, American Apache mother. He loves the southwest and the poor mining life. Two lives that don't match, but they fall in love on a ship returning from Europe (he on business, she on a 'tour') They marry and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Ar ...more
Julia
Dec 26, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda and Dart are newlyweds in Lodestone, a tiny, struggling Arizona town, during The Great Depression. The life of a miner's wife is not quite what Amanda, who grew up in New York Society, was expecting, although she's determined to make the best of it. Struggling to make ends meet, Amanda's interest is piqued by a legend of hidden gold in the desert. Dart is initially dismissive of the story, but as both his and Amanda's pasts conspire against them and threaten their futures, he too ultimate ...more
Betty
Jan 28, 2017 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago and knew I had saved it for a reason. All these years it has been sitting in my personal library while I have given away dozens of fascinating books to second hand stores, etc. Something cautioned me to keep it. Finally decided to read it again and I loved it more than ever. A charming love story set in the old west with everything you need for a page turner. A dark and handsome inscrutable hero, a beautiful heroine way out of her comfort zone, and a setting both ...more
Labmom
May 19, 2011 Labmom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anya-seton
I can't give no stars or one star to Anya Seton, she's one of my favorite authors (I named my daughter Anya) and she wrote my all-time favorite book (Green Darkness) but this wasn't good. It didn't completely suck, but it wasn't even close to her other 9 books, most of which are excellent. I guess every consistently good writer has one bad book, or one that's not as good as the others. Even Shakespeare wrote a few stupid plays (Pericles, The Merry Wives of Windsor). Toni Morrison, even, had a cr ...more
Stacy
Oct 30, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young, beautiful socialite Amanda Lawrence falls in love with a young man from a different social set. Part-Apache Johnathan "Dart" Dartland a mining engineer who has a position with a company in Lodestone, Arizona. He takes her away from her comfortable lifestyle and settles her in a Sears and Roebuck papered shack near the mine. Amanda goes through "growing pains" with her new life and marriage and Dart has to adjust as well to their marriage.

The book describes their relationship with honesty
Feb 25, 2013 Foxfire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my very favourite romance ever written. It's not just about falling in love, but about two people with very different sets of values learning to understand each other and make a successful marriage, while learning to deal with poverty and hardship during the depression era. Very strong side plots about lost love and regret.

I might be biased because I have an interest in mining and I like Arizona and Native American themes. However, the quality of writing, the characterisation and multi-
Susan
Oct 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok but a bit of a dissapointment. I did mnot like any of the characters, especially Amanda. DArt was proabaly the best but too good a person. I hated Dr. Hugh and wondered why Amanda liked him so much. As for As for Amanda's obsession to hunt for the gold it made no sense to me. And when they went and looked for it the book got crazy. Wow and this solved all their problems, even though there was no fortune to be found. I'' have to try her other books as reeaders say they are better ...more
 ☆Ruth☆
This is not my favourite Anya Seton book - mining is not a particularly interesting subject for me, so reading this novel was always going to have a possible boredom factor. However she is talented writer and her characters are well-drawn and believable (within the framework of the story). There is a tendency to melodrama in some of the descriptive passages, but not enough to be off-putting. I enjoyed the book overall, particularly the second half, and have allocated a 3-star rating.
Meredith
I finished this book two days ago and I am still on the fence about it. I loved the characters and the settings,(Seton always knows how to develop a great character!) The first of the book instantly hooked me, but I felt like the middle of the book was long and slow while the end was quick and abrupt and everything ended a bit too tidy. But all in all I love Anya Seton, and I think the book was a very enjoyable read.
Aaron Hrenko
Even though "Foxfire" was written in the late forties/early fifties, it's still written really conversationally compared to other works from this time. Almost everything about this book is totally cliche, but it's so cliche that it's not off-putting. I guess this makes it feel like you know the characters well? Anyway, it's a crossover of romance and adventure in a historical fiction setting. If you like any of those genres, you might like it.
Catherine
Sep 03, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ah, I love the old books. There just seems to be a quality of writing that is missing these days. This one has captivating characters, a strong sense of time and place (right after the stock market crash of 1929 in the American southwest), conflicts between an east-coast former rich girl and her new part-Indian husband and a vicious mining boss, and just enough romance without being icky. Perfect recipe for an escapist read that you don't have to feel guilty for.
Sonja
Nov 06, 2008 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was in one of those big, hardback books of three novels together all by Anya Seton so I wanted to read it to be able to pass the book on. About page 50 or so the book gets quite suspenseful: the characters get really interesting as well as the setting in a small mining town. It ended up being my favorite of the three Anya Seton books bound together.
Emma
May 24, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this story of two very different people and how despite their very different principles one exploration for a common goal brought them together. With a character highlighting a lust for gold I thought it was clever how against him Amanda and Dart's search was for more than just gold. Really good story and would recommend.
Jasmine
Jun 16, 2011 Jasmine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We'll see how it is!! It's been on my shelf for so long I have to read it!

Okay so I had to stop!!! I did not like it at all! Too much mining detail for me, that I could not even get through it. I have read other Seton books and loved them, but NOT this one! Sorry!!! I gave it a chance, made it to page 80!
Maudie
Aug 02, 2013 Maudie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point in the read, not my favorite Anya Seton...

However, I feel she brought the story home in closing and the characters will linger in my mind...it's just that I didn't like them all that much...and reading the first half of 'Foxfire' is akin to pouring winter molasses...
Hypatia
Dec 04, 2011 Hypatia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Overall, this was an enjoyable read. However, I'm not sure I really liked the ending. It felt a little as though the author had decided the book was long enough, and so everything wrapped up fairly suddenly. Also, I'm not sure how believable the ending really is. Still, a fun read.
Ruth
Jul 13, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anya Seton, one of my favorite authors ... I've re-read this book several time, about a very spoiled, rich young lady that choose to live in a gold mining camp, without any conveniences and how she copes.
Christy
Slow to get into, as mining just isn't that interesting to me. Second half of the book was definitely more interesting. I wish that Calise had been more of a focus of the story, as so much could have been done with her story.
Ellen
Feb 06, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More interesting to read because I am visiting central Arizona where the book takes place.
Mar 20, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Annie
This was fantastic. Really great characters.
Heather
Aug 21, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I liked this one, though not one she is well know for writing
Kate Millin
Apr 08, 2012 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A love story set in 1930’s America and the hardships of living in a mining town that looks at the ways people interact. Excellent
Squeaky
Jul 27, 2008 Squeaky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amhistory
Only book of Anya Seton's that I did not like. Just not like her typical novels. Katherine, Green Darkness, Winthrop Woman, excellent, this one .. meh
Heather
Mar 19, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Anya Seton book. I enjoyed Dragonwyck so much, I thought I'd try another. This book is VERY different from Dragonwyck, but I really liked it nonetheless.
Anais
Feb 27, 2011 Anais rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at a romance written in the 1950s about the 1930s...not nearly as prudish as you would imagine
Cindy
Jul 03, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Western

Anya Set on is 1 of a kind! After reading Katherine, I have wanted to read all her novels. Katherine is by far the BEST historical fiction novel of our time.
  • The Darkness & the Dawn
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sugar Pavilion
  • The Maiden (The Morland Dynasty, #8)
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • Diana
  • The Mallen Girl
  • Calico Palace
  • Return to Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #13)
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton-
More about Anya Seton...