Start by marking “The Life of the Mind : The Groundbreaking Investigation on How We Think” as Want to Read:
The Life of the Mind : The Groundbreaking Investigation on How We Think

The Life of the Mind : The Groundbreaking Investigation on How We Think

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The author’s final work, presented in a one-volume edition, is a rich, challenging analysis of man’s mental activity, considered in terms of thinking, willing, and judging.
Published March 16th 1981 by Harvest Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Life of the Mind , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life of the Mind

Carmen
One of the most impressive philosophy books. She takes simple observations about thinking and the thought process from everyday life(some might call it phenomenology) and draws radical conclusions as well as reaffirming the importance of a philosophic approach to the everyday. I like to reread it once every few years.
Ingeborg
A very interesting account of what do we do when we think. Where are we when we think? Why do we think at all? At times a complicated text, full of erudite references to Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Nietzsche and other philosophers, but never boring. Arendt recognizes 3 basic mental activities – thinking, willing and judging. The first section, Thinking, is the best and the most stimulating read. It is a pity Arendt didn't have time to finish this work, she died, left it unfinished, and it was ed ...more
Nathanial
"Everything that can see wants to be seen, everything that can hear cries out to be heard, everything that can touch presents itself to be touched."

-from book one, "Thinking"
sheena
Oh, with or without Hannah I'm never going to graduate.
Lindsay Moore
This book is very important and worth careful study.
Arendt takes up where Kant's Critique of Pure Reason stops, showing how "reason" goes beyond conceptual knowledge. Knowing that Arendt was one of Heidegger's most important students, you can see places where she is pointing toward Heidegger's non-representational 'thought' as the path beyond knowledge and into the unknowable metaphysical realities.
She is at her best in the first section of this two volume work, where she deals with thinking p
Ghieanna
what makes us think ?
Adam Hall
Easy to read? Not so much, but if you enjoy summaries of major philosophies you may find it fulfilling. I wish Arendt had contributed more of her personal thoughts on the matter instead of just giving a history of philosophy.

Samuel
Begriff- Reason. The German thought-experiments, fearsome in their density. The Raskol- sovereign trickster, white shaman, standing outside the community, representing it in the animal and planetary consuls, delivering their edicts.
Wilrite4fd
This book will change the way you think. Arendt focuses on the space of being, the appearance of self that others see. Its a lengthy book, but you'll want to take a while to read it so you can digest what the author is saying.
Ron Mitchell
Just brilliant, and superbly edited by Mary McCarthy after the author's death.
Mary
Fascinating. But so difficult to read at times that I had to read it aloud to myself to keep from getting confused. I am not proud of that.
Thomas Hill
An excellent survey of the history of Western thought as told from one of the most brilliant minds of the 20th century.
Thomas
Oct 26, 2007 Thomas marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophytheory
--Part 2, On Willing, about history of notion of free will from Stoics, through St. Augustine, etc.
David
Great book. It really helped to clarify my thinking.
Mark Ambrose
Well written and thought out.
Mateo
Jul 13, 2008 Mateo is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Each page takes me days
Stephen
Fairly intense
Fernanda Alves
Fernanda Alves is currently reading it
Maria Park
Maria Park marked it as to-read
Shery Titus
Shery Titus marked it as to-read
Kamal
Kamal marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jules
Jules marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Oliverz
Oliverz marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Muhammad Sharnoubi
Muhammad Sharnoubi marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Patrick Dugan
Patrick Dugan marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • The Weakness of God: A Theology of the Event
  • Process and Reality
  • Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World
  • J. S. Mill: 'On Liberty' and Other Writings
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Tarrying with the Negative: Kant, Hegel, and the Critique of Ideology
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • Deleuze: The Clamor of Being
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Enlightenment: And Why It Still Matters
  • Shakespeare's Philosophy
Hannah Arendt (1906–1975) was one of the most influential political philosophers of the twentieth century. Born into a German-Jewish family, she was forced to leave Germany in 1933 and lived in Paris for the next eight years, working for a number of Jewish refugee organisations. In 1941 she immigrated to the United States and soon became part of a lively intellectual circle in New York. She held a ...more
More about Hannah Arendt...
Eichmann in Jerusalem : A Report on the Banality of Evil The Human Condition The Origins of Totalitarianism On Violence On Revolution