Start by marking “Picking Winners: A Horseplayer's Guide” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Picking Winners: A Hor...

Andrew Beyer

Picking Winners: A Horseplayer's Guide

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Just as football evolved with the introduction of the forward pass and basketball with the development of the jump shot, so too was handicapping forever changed by the use of speed figures--and it all started with Andrew Beyer's Picking Winners. This edition features a new foreword in which the author discusses the changes that have swept the sport since the book's origina ...more
Published May 6th 1994 by Mariner Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Picking Winners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picking Winners

Michael
Apr 02, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gambling
Lots of knowledge in this book. Of course, I don't recommend anyone "try this at home." I read the book because I moved close to a track that was next to my home and I enjoyed going there as a hobby.

If you want to make a living. Do it elsewhere.
Mark Ruzomberka
Mar 08, 2012 Mark Ruzomberka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Try walking around at lunch with this tucked under your arm, it always starts a conversation. Strangers come up to you and ask about all your secrets at the track because surely you must know something if you are one of those guys who bets on horses. On more than one occasion I got the "So you like to play the ponies" from someone. While I was not able to put all of this new found knowledge into play on a race track I certainly have benefited from the wisdom in this book on the stock market.

Trut
David
Sep 24, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read both the original edition and a later edition. Very influential and very useful in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Thereafter, the knowledge was too widepread and "domesticated" and the edge was gone.
Samuel Granados
Feel free to skip the parts where beyer predicts the winners of a race that has already been run. The rest of the book is ok
Bill
Aug 01, 2007 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in betting horse racing
I enjoyed this book and completed it in one round trip Seattle to Chicago plane trip.

Andrew Beyer is really able to bring you in to the mind of a horse player and expalin both the joy and the pain involved in this great hobby. More importantly he has devoted his life to understanding the art of handicapping and is able to convey some important strategies to the reader. Only down side is that this book was written in the mid 70;s and does feel a bit dated.

But if you had any interest in becoming
Sue
Nov 10, 2007 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a suggestion from Jim Cramer to help teach how to play the stock market. It was a very good book; easy to read and understand. Makes me realize how picking winning horses is very complicated and requires lots of experience and time! I won't be betting on horses soon! But hopefully I can use this knowledge to help me pick stocks.......it's still going to take a lot of experience/research/time though.........ugh!
John
Jul 22, 2010 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitive book on handicapping from maybe the most famous handicapper and inventor of the beyer speed ratings. the best book out there if you want to learn basic, logical betting strategies the next time you're at the track. also many tools in here have clear relevance for the investing/trading world (identifying value, calculating expected return vs. risk, etc).
Gary Geiger
Jan 05, 2014 Gary Geiger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, horse-racing
Beyer is the Bill James of horse racing.
David
Nov 05, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me more about playing the horses than all the others combined. Great book from a easy to read, organized and lucid writer.
Adam Wiener
Feb 13, 2011 Adam Wiener rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a review of this book for a horse racing site: http://helloracefans.com/reviews/pick...
Kevin
Apr 11, 2009 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good. Excellent for stock options traders as well for insight into the numbers game.
Morgan Walsh
Morgan Walsh marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Joyce P Osborne
Joyce P Osborne marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Adrian Arnold
Adrian Arnold rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Iona Kellison
Iona Kellison marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jairo
Jairo added it
Jan 23, 2016
Chad
Chad rated it really liked it
UGK_ALL_DAY
UGK_ALL_DAY rated it it was ok
SHERMAN STEVENSON
SHERMAN STEVENSON rated it really liked it
Aidan
Aidan rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Con Murray
Con Murray marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Quinn P. Stepan
Quinn P. Stepan rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Terence Powell
Terence Powell marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Alex Campbell
Alex Campbell rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Aksel Normann Edvardsen
Aksel Normann Edvardsen rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Sam Butt
Sam Butt marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Joe Kennedy
Joe Kennedy rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Michael Tomatz
Michael Tomatz rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015