Start by marking “Midnight Cab” as Want to Read:
Midnight Cab

Midnight Cab

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Hailing from a small Northern Ontario town, Walker Devereaux, age nineteen, is in Toronto to discover the truth about his early life, the years leading up to the age of three when he was found abandoned on a country road, terrified and clinging to a wire fence. He had no identification but in his pocket was a photograph of two young girls splashing in a lake and a chatty l ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Cab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Cab

Pat
German Audiobuch--"Ausgesetzt" Walker was 3 when his mom left him by the side of the road holding on to a fence--and told him to keep holding on and not let go. He's now 19 and wants to find his mother, with only a picture and a letter of a teenager. The story goes between Walker in Canada trying to find out who his mother is and Bobby, a very troubled young boy telling his story about how he gets away with murder, literally and figuratively. We don't find out for quite a while what these 2 stor ...more
Stephanie Fontanilla
Too many twists! Really enjoyed it! :) Walker Devereaux actually reminds me of Holden Caulfield, and when I picture every scene, I imagine Walker being portrayed by Ed Sheeran. Weird, I know.
Sean Huxter
Being a long-time fan of "Midnight Cab", I thought this book was consistent with the radio series, but the character of Walker Devereau was somewhat differently motivated.

I used to make sure I was free on Wednesday afternoons at my job in Newfoundland, so whenever possible no one would interrupt me while I listened to Midnight Cab on CBC Radio. Tried never to miss an episode.

This book was a bit harder than the series. It was intricate, with a complex set of characters connected in unexpected way
Laura Alderson
I found this an easy and page turning read. 18 year old boy goes in search of his parents, having been abandoned at the side of a road when he was 3. A somewhat well worn story, but it mainly kept you guessing. I did feel it could have sped up at the end, as Walker had largely figured it out, but that's a small point. I liked the characterisation too, and the descriptions of the places he visited.
Aurora
Wir begeiten in diesem Buch den 19-jährigen Walker auf der Suche nach seinen leiblichen Eltern. Unterstützt wird er dabei von seiner körperlich behinderten Kollegin Krista. Zwischendurch gibt es immer wieder Rückblicke in die Vergangenheit, wo wir einem gewissen Bobby begegnen.

Leider muss ich sagen, dass dieses Buch die Bezeichnung "Psychothriller" absolut nicht verdient hat. Es geht weder auf die Psyche noch ist das Buch in irgendeiner Weise spannend. Klar, hin und wieder passieren einige myste
LJ
MIDNIGHT CAB (Suspense-Canada/Jamaica/Cont) – VG
Nichol, James W – 1st book
Canongate U.S. – 2002- Hardcover
When Walker Devereaux was three, he was found clinging to a fence by a country road. Now that he's 19, he is determined to find out about his mother and his past. The only clue is a photograph of a woman with two teenage girls and a letter written from one of the girls to the other.
*** This began as a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) radio show, which means there are very good plot fl
Chris Duval
Midnight Cab was a pretty good book. I'll give it about 3 1/2 or 4 stars out of 5. You really get to know the main characters Walker and Krista, and I love how their relationship together developed so well, it felt so real. I like the style of the author's writing, he was able to make things run clear and smoothly. It was easy to get confused at some parts though, but no big deal.

I don't know if it's something I'd read again. Maybe in the future when there's nothing else for me to read. Don't ge
Agnes Banda
Feb 17, 2014 Agnes Banda is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Its a very interesting book to read, very very intriguing indeed. A standing novation for James W Nicole
Jasmin
Die Story ist von der Idee her nicht schlecht. Aber wirklich mitgerissen hat mich das Buch nicht. Hatte mir mehr erhofft.
jimtown
I really liked reading this but it was quite a twisted tale. Our hero in Midnight Cab is nineteen year old Walker Devereaux. He's trying to find out why he was abandoned at three years old by his mother, a mother he is sure had loved him. Life has taken Walker on quite a ride but it's nothing compared to where his search for the truth will take him. Well written and enjoyable to read but as I said the plot and some of the characters are quite twisted.
Kathi-sass
Das Buch war durchaus spannend, und ich hatte es auch relativ zügig durch, aber es hat das letzte bisschen BÄM gefehlt, um mich richtig zu packen. Ich bin nicht sicher, aber ich glaube, es lag an der Hauptperson, die mich mit ihren Aktionen und Entscheidungen teilweise einfach genervt hat.
Deirdre S.
I'd actually give this 4.5 stars, if that was an option. A well-constructed thriller with several twists, inner and outer struggles and quirky, unique characters. Gripping enough to keep me going when I should have been ready for bed.
Ruth Govaerts
Heerlijk toch, zo'n lekker kwabbelend
lichaamsdeel dat je buik uitpuilt. Wat zou je
nog meer willen in je leven? Walker is de perfecte
detective! Knap hoe hij met zo weinig informatie
toch het verleden van zijn ouders ontrafeld heeft!
Mary
Midnight Cab is a thriller about a lost boy searching for his parents. It started as a Canadian radio play, and is set in Canada. It moves quickly and has really likeable characters.
Linda
Enjoyable read. Looks into the mind of the psychopath. perfect for cheering on the underdog/hero. didn't like the unnecessary use of profanity but written well enough to enjoy.
Petra
Ein junger Mann wurde als Kind ausgesetzt und versucht herauszufinden, was damals passiert ist. Interessanter Ansatz für einen Thriller, guter Plot, spannend geschrieben.
Gigi
Canadian! Based on a serial radio-play. Very entertaining. Very sympathetic protagonists. Supsenseful; I can't wait to find out what's going on!
Babalwa May
Wow! Never have I read such an interestingly writen novel. Truly kept me at the edge of my seat.
Rita
Picked up at the BC Uncon in Nottingham.

A really great thriller, I couldn't put it down.
XXVII

The book just wasn't my cup of tea. I found it dull and predictable.
Kristi
This is a very good thriller! Lots of strange twists and turns!
Marybeth Kobland
Great story not what I was expecting. Couldn't put it down.
Pisinat
Too grim for me... I just couldn't read some passages.
Pauline
very good debut novel.Plenty of twist and turns.
Napierbones
Deep and dark - fast paced great story. loved it.
Napierbones
A grim story with chilling story line.
Olaf
Olaf added it
Aug 30, 2015
  • Down to the dirt
  • Danilov, the Violist
  • Mission: Impossible
  • Crime Machine (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #5)
  • Das Avalon-Projekt
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • Skin and Bones
  • Jinn: A Novel
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • The World More Full of Weeping
  • Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth
  • The Steel of Raithskar (Gandalara Cycle, #1)
  • Am Ende Des Schweigens
  • Zoom!
  • Amphibian
  • Helpless
  • Voll Im Bilde/Alles Sense!
  • Herzblut (Kommissar Kluftinger, #7)
James W. Nichol has been a prominent playwright in Canada since 1970. Midnight Cab was inspired by his immensely popular radio drama of the same name, broadcast on CBC in thirty-five half-hour episodes. He lives in the country near Stratford, Ontario. Midnight Cab won the Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel and was shortlisted for the CCWA Gold Dagger. He is currently working on a second novel ...more
More about James W. Nichol...
The Stone Angel Transgression: A Novel of Love and War Death Spiral Nachtrit Midnight Cab: The Mystery of the Vanishing Cab