Start by marking “The Bookshop Dog” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop Dog

The Bookshop Dog

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Everyone who comes to Martha Jane's Bookshop comes to see Martha Jane. But Martha Jane is not the owner. She's the owner's dog! When the owner has to go to the hospital to get her tonsils out, the whole town begins to fight over the chance to take care of Martha Jane. Rylant is the Newbery-winning author of Dog Heaven. Full color.
Published September 1st 1996 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bookshop Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bookshop Dog

Lisa Vegan
Jul 07, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody who likes dogs &/or bookshops &/or love stories &/or supportive communities
Ah, this one simultaneously made my heart sing and nearly brought me to tears with emotion.

This is a very sweet story, and as a dog lover and bookshop lover it was perfect for me. And, having seen a wonderful movie yesterday, wonderful except for a sad dog scene, it was just what I needed to read a happy dog story. Of course, I’d love to have a dog and a bookshop, so I’m a bit sad that I don’t.

The illustrations are good. They’re bright and colorful and bold and detailed, and I think most kids w
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a very sweet story about a perfect dog and the people who love her. The illustrations are very simple but they work well. My only complaint is that the only woman in it is the bookshop owner and she's the one who gets sick and needs help. I wish even one of the other main players was a woman, too.

3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because it has two of my three most favoritest things.
Carol Royce Owen
Aug 28, 2015 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
I didn't even know I had this book! It recently appeared on someone's Good Read list, and I thought to myself I needed to get it. But today, as I continued to catalogue all of my books into a database, I came upon it and was pleasantly surprised. What a delightful book about Mary Jane, a dog who accompanies his owner everywhere, including to the Bookstore named in her honor.
Nicole (Stop Staring At My Books Jr.) Williams
-i give The Bookshop Dog 4 stars.
-I loved this book because it was a sweet and cute story, it made me laugh too!
-The drawings were friendly like a child would draw.
-I would recommend this book to anyone who likes dogs, and it is a nice story for kids to read.
-I didn't give it 5 stars because of the silly fighting, and ending.
Elizabeth Byers
The Bookshop Dog is about a nice old librarian lady who has a very loving dog named Martha. The whole town loves her dog and this one guy always gives her a bone when he sees her. Later on in the story, the librarian has to go in for surgery to get her appendix out. The dog is very worried about her and wonders who will take care of him. However, the whole town comes to take care of Martha and make sure she is ok until her owner gets back. I love this book and remember reading it as a child. I l ...more
Tori Davenport
This book was pretty cute. It was very simple and could be easily read by a smaller child, with some help here and there. I feel as though this book would be more geared towards kinds who like cute stories and kids who like dogs. It is a story about a dog and her owner who has to go to the doctors and the whole town fights over who gets to keep the dog. I feel like it could help kids see that fighting does not solve everything and that it sometimes helps not to say anything at all.
Jamie Tedesco
Feb 04, 2014 Jamie Tedesco rated it really liked it
You could really see the attachment that the owner had to her dog, especially considering that her name was never even mentioned. Cute story and sense of compassion.
Yvonne Williams
Dec 14, 2014 Yvonne Williams rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Another book read with my daughter. Was excited to see this author as I have Cat Heaven and loved that book. Although the images are simple and colourful and the basic storyline is a good one - I think there were parts silly and a bit sexist. If we want children to grow up without putting people into specific gender roles then choose the books wisely. While it may seem silly the fighting and make children laugh it isn't a good example. Also the ending was a typical fairy tale one. Disappointing ...more
Michael
Jul 14, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
A dog, a bookshop, a bookshop owner ends up in the hospital--what will happen to the dog? It does have a happy ending.
Melissa
Jan 19, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Charming & romantic story
Dec 19, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
This is the third book that Rylant illustrated herself and I have to say I enjoyed it, especially as a point of contrast to her more well-known works. A straight-forward story about a beloved dog in a bookshop, the colorful and vibrant illustrations add a lot of charm and fun to the story. My students loved the repetition of the characters (postman, policeman, band director) and enjoyed the mushy ending. If you are doing an author study on Cynthia Rylant, this is a good one to include as a discu ...more
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
I tend to believe that cats belong in bookshops, but I'm willing to expand my thinking.
Cynthia
Oct 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pet lovers, primary grade teachers
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great companion text to The Cookie Store Cat. There's a scene in that book where the cat is walking up and down the street,saying good morning at the neighboring shops. The bookshop is one of those stores.My second graders love this book because it has a lot of humor and a little gooey romance that makes them groan.
Ealthafer
Jan 31, 2011 Ealthafer rated it it was ok
Cute book espically for dog lovers. My class read this book to work on finding out the main idea of a story without knowing the title because the story is pretty straight forward. This book is deffintly age appropraite for kindergartners but I would probably not go past 2nd grade with it.
Dayna
Sep 29, 2009 Dayna rated it liked it
I'm afraid I didn't like this one as much as it's counterpart, the Cookie Store Cat. Maybe it was Rylant's illustrations. They weren't to my taste. And I also think the story was just not as charming.
Allison Burke
This is a sweet book written about a real dog and owner. Everyone in the town wants to help the dog and the owner of this dog when she is sick. It's a sweet story to read a loud to kids. Grades k-3
Angela
Nov 28, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other Cynhia Rylant we read. Cute enough premise, but a bit long and kinda predictable. Not crazy about the simplistic illustrations either.
Tara
Nov 21, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
very cute story. I think it'd make a nice storytime for those with longer attention span. The pictures are very childlike.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, library-book, dog
One would think I'd like this one. But I didn't at least not all that much and that's all I have to say.
Brittany
Apr 20, 2013 Brittany rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics-3661
This is a great book to use on repetition in a Language Arts lesson. I would use this book for K-2.
Peggy
Oct 26, 2012 Peggy rated it really liked it
My child hung on every word. It was a really sweet story.
Linda
Feb 23, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who love little bookstores
Another wonderful story by Cynthia Rylant
Denver
Denver marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
June Pecchia
June Pecchia marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Feb 04, 2016
Nancy Burrage
Nancy Burrage marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Mrs. B.
Mrs. B. rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Linda Stuckey
Linda Stuckey rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...