The Bookshop Dog

The Bookshop Dog

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Everyone who comes to Martha Jane's Bookshop comes to see Martha Jane. But Martha Jane is not the owner. She's the owner's dog! When the owner has to go to the hospital to get her tonsils out, the whole town begins to fight over the chance to take care of Martha Jane. Rylant is the Newbery-winning author of Dog Heaven. Full color.
Published September 1st 1996 by Blue Sky Press

Lisa Vegan
Jul 07, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody who likes dogs &/or bookshops &/or love stories &/or supportive communities
Ah, this one simultaneously made my heart sing and nearly brought me to tears with emotion.

This is a very sweet story, and as a dog lover and bookshop lover it was perfect for me. And, having seen a wonderful movie yesterday, wonderful except for a sad dog scene, it was just what I needed to read a happy dog story. Of course, I’d love to have a dog and a bookshop, so I’m a bit sad that I don’t.

The illustrations are good. They’re bright and colorful and bold and detailed, and I think most kids w...more
Kelly  Maybedog
This is a very sweet story about a perfect dog and the people who love her. The illustrations are very simple but they work well. My only complaint is that the only woman in it is the bookshop owner and she's the one who gets sick and needs help. I wish even one of the other main players was a woman, too.

3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because it has two of my three most favoritest things.
Jamie Tedesco
You could really see the attachment that the owner had to her dog, especially considering that her name was never even mentioned. Cute story and sense of compassion.
Kaethe
I tend to believe that cats belong in bookshops, but I'm willing to expand my thinking.
This is the third book that Rylant illustrated herself and I have to say I enjoyed it, especially as a point of contrast to her more well-known works. A straight-forward story about a beloved dog in a bookshop, the colorful and vibrant illustrations add a lot of charm and fun to the story. My students loved the repetition of the characters (postman, policeman, band director) and enjoyed the mushy ending. If you are doing an author study on Cynthia Rylant, this is a good one to include as a discu...more
Cynthia
Oct 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pet lovers, primary grade teachers
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great companion text to The Cookie Store Cat. There's a scene in that book where the cat is walking up and down the street,saying good morning at the neighboring shops. The bookshop is one of those stores.My second graders love this book because it has a lot of humor and a little gooey romance that makes them groan.
Ealthafer
Cute book espically for dog lovers. My class read this book to work on finding out the main idea of a story without knowing the title because the story is pretty straight forward. This book is deffintly age appropraite for kindergartners but I would probably not go past 2nd grade with it.
Dayna
I'm afraid I didn't like this one as much as it's counterpart, the Cookie Store Cat. Maybe it was Rylant's illustrations. They weren't to my taste. And I also think the story was just not as charming.
Allison Burke
This is a sweet book written about a real dog and owner. Everyone in the town wants to help the dog and the owner of this dog when she is sick. It's a sweet story to read a loud to kids. Grades k-3
Angela
Nov 28, 2009 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the other Cynhia Rylant we read. Cute enough premise, but a bit long and kinda predictable. Not crazy about the simplistic illustrations either.
Tara
very cute story. I think it'd make a nice storytime for those with longer attention span. The pictures are very childlike.
Mckinley
One would think I'd like this one. But I didn't at least not all that much and that's all I have to say.
Brittany
This is a great book to use on repetition in a Language Arts lesson. I would use this book for K-2.
Cheryl in CC NV
Yet another "aww..." from Rylant... but not much more than that.
Anna

Very cute story about a bookshop dog. Great book for kids!
Peggy
My child hung on every word. It was a really sweet story.
Linda
Feb 23, 2012 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all who love little bookstores
Another wonderful story by Cynthia Rylant
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Alice
Alice added it
Jun 15, 2014
Annare
Annare marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Caijun Ho
Caijun Ho marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years