Start by marking “Legwork” as Want to Read:
Legwork

Legwork (Casey Jones Mysteries #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  497 ratings  ·  41 reviews
She's smart, talented and durable, but Casey Jones has had more than her share of bad luck in her life -- including a short stretch in a Florida pen that haunts her still. In Raleigh, N.C., where Casey now lives, a prison record means no private investigator's license. So she's doing legwork for legit p.i. Bobby D -- a blimp-sized eating machine with a bad toupee, who exer ...more
Published 1997 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Legwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legwork

Heather
It seems that most mystery series I read these days with a female lead resemble the Stephanie Plum series. This one was yet another, except taking place in North Carolina, and the lead not originally being from there. There were some differences though, such as our lead, Casey Jones, has a criminal past which is why she is a transplant to NC. She is now, fourteen years later, working for a PI and currently acting as a bodyguard for a woman running for Senate. Said woman is arrested for the murde ...more
Hope
I really wanted to like this book. I like reading local authors, I like mystery stories, I like stories about strong women, and I like stories with a strong sense of place, especially when it's a place I know.

Legwork is all of those things; I still didn't like it. I read to page 52, read the last chapter, and gave up. The writing is good enough. Unfortunately, there aren't any people, just caricatures. Everyone is larger than life and twice as ridiculous. It felt like a long info-dump intersper
Ann Marie
I would like to thank my daughter Jessica one more time for tracking this book down for me. I had been looking for it since I read the second book in this Casey Jones mystery series, two years ago.

Casey Jones is a remarkable character...no nonsense, confident, mouthy but so believable and likable. This was a good mystery. I should have put two and two together long before I got to the end and was surprised but I was too busy really enjoying the build up.

I'm definitely going to be looking for the
Chazzi
First time reading Katy Munger. Very enjoyable. Good storyline and enjoyable characters. Enough twists and turns and surprise reveals to keep you interested.

Casey Jones, a female P.I. with a not too clean past, has to solve the murder of one of the towns big players whose body is dumped in front of the home of Casey's client - a candidate in the current election in a North Carolina small town.

Working with a cast of colourful and unusual characters, with some surprising secrets, Casey travels dow
Judy
Jan 21, 2012 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers, North Carolinians
I read the Kindle edition of this book on a recent cross country plane trip and really enjoyed it. Yes, Case is on the trashy side, not to mention mouthy and full of attitude. And she likes to sleep around. Definitely not Miss Marple. But I found her very refreshing.

"Legwork" is fast paced and has the required twists and turns. And even though it was first published nearly 15 years ago, it still manages to stay current.

I will be sure to download a few more Casey Jones mysteries to my Kindle.
Kerrie Mcvittie
Loved that this booked kicked off straight away and got straight into it, no having to wait 10 chapters until the good stuff starts! I really liked that Casey say’s exactly what she thinks about a guy to his face rather than just thinking it. I was really excited about this series and although she is nowhere near as funny or as good as Stephanie Plum, book one certainly didn’t disappoint. Looking forward to the next one.
Betty
She's smart, talented and durable, but Casey Jones has had more than her share of bad luck in life--including doing legwork for a blimp-sized P.I. who exercises few muscles below the jawline. Casey's latest assignment is to guard a politician running for the Senate. When the corpse of a real estate magnate is found in her client's car, Casey must clear the candidate's name before the election.
Chris
Casey Jones spent 18 months in prison set up by her Ex...
Because of this she cannot get a private investigator's license. However, while working as a body guard for Mary Lee Masters, candidate for the North Carolina Senate, she gets bumped up to PI, paid by Ms. Masters to find the real murderer of the man left in her driveway...

Well written.
Diane Kidman
Fast paced, witty, suspenseful, and a dynamite mystery. I love a book you can sink your teeth into and forget where you are. I say if you've got any reservations at all about reading indie authors, you gotta snag a copy of Legwork by Katy Munger and give it a go. You'll never look back.
Dava Stewart
Not a bad book, but not my cup of tea. It felt like the writer wanted to make the main character excessively masculine. It felt like she was a stereotypical undercover detective: grungy, rough, just barely staying within the bounds of the law - usually - except she is a she.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Casey Jones (first in series); unlicensed woman PI is doing protection work for a local politician who has a dead body in her car, and Jones works o find out who it is and why they're dead in the good ole South
Aaron Dubin
I forgot to mark this as currently reading. Did not finish it in a day. I enjoyed this book very much. Great characters, a good mystery, and well developed storyline. I would recommend this book. Not too sure of the series, as only read book one.
Megan
I really wanted to like this book as it had the characteristics I would usually like in a book but I found it to be a slow read. I didn't think it was well written or that there was much character development. The plot line was all over the place.
Daelith
Though I was able to figure who the killer was early on in the book, I still enjoyed it and will be looking for more of this series. Somewhat like the Stephanie Plum series but takes place in the South and not quite as much bumbling.
Diane
maybe it's just me, but i definitely do like book with strong snarky overtones on the part of the heroine! this gal is a BBW with an attitude, and her boss is just gross, but they make this book work. 1 of 6 in this seres.
Lisa Lewis
Fun, classic mystery novel, with a likeable heroine a la Sue Grafton or Janet Evanovich. Especially enjoyed the local (Raleigh/Durham) setting. Munger is a hit again, under her own name or any other!
P.A.
Twists that you never see coming. Likeable characters that you will know well by the end of the novel. Similar to another female detective series but different enough that it stands on its own.
Vicki
Sometimes Casey Jones made me laugh out loud, at other times I found myself worried about her. It's nice to find a heroine who's just a regular woman, roots and all.
Cherisse
Casey Jones, bodyguard and private investigator (just without a license since she has a record), figures out who killed a developer and helps out a new police friend, Bill Butler.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
This is the first book in the Casey Jones mystery series. Read it long ago so I can't remember details, but I noted that I "liked it, must read the whole series."
Vicki
Read this book a couple of years ago and forgot how enjoyable it is ready it with a couple of days. Story was interesting and it has got me back into reading again
Jack
Unlicenced PI Casey Jones has a job as bodyguard to an election candidate and finds herself involved in a murder investigation. Entertaining mystery.
Slinkyboy
Enjoyed the mystery and the investigation, but I'm not so sure about the investigator.

Might pick up book 2 sometime, but I'm not in a hurry.
Dale
ill bk Seante candiate Mary Lee Masters is found with a male body in the back of her jeep Casey has been asigned to be Master's bodygiard
Michelle
Zetta
Aug 18, 2008 Zetta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read about tough women who are funny and sexy
Casey Jones is one kick-ass broad and this is one of the best characters I've seen in a mystery series in a long time.
Debbie
Good suspense; kept me guessing until the end. Very similar plot to the last book I read. ☼
Emily
Funny, quirky characters and a good mystery. I will look for more in this series.
Jen
Aug 22, 2012 Jen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: gave-up
free from book bub... :heh... that names always reminds me of wolverine: junkread.
Debdanz
fun series- janet evanovich style- set in durham, nc- quirky female PI
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Fashion, Lies, and Murder (Amber Fox #1)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
  • London Broil
  • Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse, #1)
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • Of Mice and Murderers (Z Series)
  • Heartbreak Highway
  • Sleep Tight
  • Blood Island: A Matt Royal Mystery
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • Absolute Liability (A Southern Fraud Thriller, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter, #6)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Wedding Bell Blues
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
Wrote two of the Dead Detective series under the pseudonym Chaz McGee and the rest under her own name.
More about Katy Munger...

Casey Jones Mysteries (6 books)
  • Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2)
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Bad to the Bone
  • Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery
  • Bad Moon On The Rise
Out of Time (Casey Jones Mysteries #2) Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3) Bad to the Bone Better Off Dead: A Casey Jones Mystery Bad Moon On The Rise