Start by marking “Expanded Universe: The New Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein” as Want to Read:
Expanded Universe: The New Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein

Expanded Universe: The New Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,110 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This text offers a mix of wit and wisdom of Robert A. Heinlein on subjects ranging from crime and punishment to nuclear power, from pragmatics of patriotism to post holocaust America; from the nature of courage to the nature of reality.
Published November 1st 1980 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Expanded Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expanded Universe

Darth
Most of the short fiction in this volume I have read in other collections - so mainly I read this for the non-fiction. The stories are a little interesting, but for most people, feel free to skip this, unless you are super anal and have to read EVERYTHING by your favorite authors.

Most of the tales start out on one track, but devolve into a 70-something year old guy complaining - Todays kids are stupid, foreign countries try to rob tourists, money doesnt mean anything if not backed by gold, and e
Nicky
Lots of fun miscellaneous writings from Heinlein, from a cabaret detective story to a boy scout lunar tale. There's quite a bit of nonfiction, mostly relating to nuclear power, nuclear armaments, patriotism, the armed forces, Russia, and the Cold War. A couple of essays detail the encounter with "pravda" ("truth") that Mr. and Mrs. Heinlein experienced in their trip to the Soviet Union in 1960. There are many prognostications, ranging from alarmingly accurate to quaint in showing their age.

It's
John Bruni
This is the book I've always wanted from Heinlein. Most of the pieces in here are essays, and they're full of such aggravation that I could read them forever. He was very progressive for his time, so it's interesting to read something from him that wasn't his usual Trojan horse into his readers minds. In these pieces, he flat-out speaks his mind, and it's an amazing thing to behold. My favorite has to be "Pie from the Sky," in which he once again tries to save the world from nuclear annihilation ...more
The W
W Rating : B

This was a fun book. This was Heinlein's Rivan Codex. Many non sci fi stories and papers Heinlein has written with his own personal comments throughout. Read if you like Heinlein and/or getting author jokes.
Angie
Of all the Heinlein I have read, this was by far his weakest collection, and one of the worst books I've read. I'm so glad it was free, because if I'd paid even 10 cents for this book, I'd want my money back.
Danny
Great collection of early stories and articles and commentaries on them. Shows the development of Heinlein as a writer.
Valerie
Sep 17, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ian
Recommended to Valerie by: Mom
Although I do not usually read short stories, I will make an exception for Heinlein, now and then.
Scott Golden
It's a barrel-scraping exercise. Some of it is interesting; other items, not so much.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I remember loving this book in my teens, and I still consider Robert A Heinlein one of my favorite authors, but if you’re not a fan already, I wouldn’t recommend this book to begin with. This contains 27 of Heinlein’s short pieces, of which about half are essays, but it’s not a collection of his best, nor one that say pulls together all his “Future History” stories such as The Past Through Tomorrow, which would make a good introduction. There are a few strong stories here. For a work published i ...more
Nagrom
Oct 01, 2009 Nagrom rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone. Citizens, Scientists, Soldiers, Pacifists,
I got my start on Heinlein when I was about ten years old, and sometime between ten and fourteen I picked up EU and then shelved it because the essays were not the action adventure and daring-do of Glory Road, or Tunnel in the Sky. The politics, philosophy etc. were lost on me at the time. This time around things are different.
I've read some of the previous reviews of this work, and am frankly disappointed that people who claim to be Heinlein fans, to appreciate Heinlein, would be turned off by
Mukta Mohapatra
This is a compilation of short stories, essays and general writing from one of the best sci-fi authors of all time.

Whether you agree with all of his views or not, this is a fantastic read and an exceptional view into his mind.

His stories include mystery, sci-fi and gernal topics. His views are clear and concise. His predictions about the future (and corrections) were fantastic. His views on science and where it is heading were amazing.
Thom Dunn
As I recall, only the initial tale, "Universe" is any good, but it is a must-read for all those interested in the possibility of interstellar travel. Asimov thought we couldn't do it. Clarke came to believe that rapid interstellar travel remained a fantasy. Bradbury seemed not interested in the phenomenon. Stargate I, the TV sci-fi channel's uptake of Fred Pohl's Gateway concept, acknowledges by its silence on the matter the impossibility of "getting there" without taking advantage of some bridg ...more
Bianka
Expanded Universe is a collection of short stories and other publications. Some of the shorts have been published in other collections. Most of the other stuff I thought was just a little boring, although, probably more interesting during the time it was actually published. He writes a lot about Atomics and what-if scenarios for a WWIII situation. Most of these publications were written after WWII when Hiroshima was still on a lot of peoples minds. The two articles I believe are must reads are " ...more
Paula
I would recommend Expanded Universe for anyone wanting a collection of Robert Heinlein’s earliest work and to gain further insight into his thoughts and feelings on a variety of topics, from atomic bombs to zodiacs. Robert prefaces each story with a brief description of what he was doing at the time or what his inspiration was. A few of the articles are autobiographic such as “Pravda Means Truth”, and “Inside Intourist”. When read with “Grumbles from the Grave,” Expanded Universe provides the ou ...more
Jes. Cavanaugh
This is a fun book that expands greatly on Heinlein as a writer. Most only know him for Stranger in a Strange Land and/or Starship Troopers, but the Expanded Universe shows him as writing in many more genres and being as much of a progressive (though possibly less of an activist) as Orwell.

I enjoyed his fiction much more than his (as we know now, post-Cold War) paranoid rantings about the impending destruction of the US by nuclear holocaust, but to see his dire warnings give an interesting pers
John
2003 grade C+

short stories
Zoffix Znet
This is a great book that contains both fiction and non-fiction stories. Each one has a foreword or an afterword that explains what compelled Heinlein to write it or how he felt about the story later. The book gives great insight into Heinlen's way of thinking and his beliefs; and—as a relatively young reader of 27—I found it also gives insights into the life and beliefs of people in the 50s–80s era; especially the non-fiction stories about Heinlen's experience during visits to the USSR> I hi ...more
Andrea
Great book if you want to get an idea of Heinlein's actual opinions. Most of the articles in the book are articles that Heinlein wrote on serious topics.

The stories it does contain are good, however I did get a bit tired of reading the same opinions over and over again. I see this more of an editing problem.

So I would recommend this book if you want to see what Heinlein thought instead of what people say he thought. Just know that the book is not a collection of short stories.
Allen Perry
Ok so as much as I love most of his writing I had a hell of a time getting through this one. The first stories were pretty good but the end is nothing but editorials on 1960 American life and not all that well written. If you are one of those people that can pick up a book and not feel that they must read it all the way through then pick this up and read through the first 3/4 of it. If you are like me and have to finish it then just leave this one alone.
Alice
A few good short stories, but a lot of this is otherwise hard to find nonfiction that gives insight into both Heinlein and the time he was living in. I especially love the intros to each piece and the ones where he talks about going to Russia. If you're not a Heinlein fan (or a history buff) already though, skip this for something more classic like the Future History series.
Delicious Strawberry
If you've read the book 'Past Through Tomorrow' by the same author, you will recognize some of the stories in here. However, some of these stories have been tweaked, and some of the entries in here are actually essays on various things such as the future or politics. Overall this is definitely a good addition to any Heinlein collection.
Eric Tracy
A collection of short stuff I saved for a couple of things. One is an address Robert Heinlein made to congress begging them to continue the space program. It explains that Heinlein was alive before them because of the space program, and he goes on to explain why, including dialysis and CAT scans, among others.
Jay
Get inside the guy's head, it's an interesting place. If you are only familiar with Heinlein through what other people say, you may be in for a few shocks. Fer instance, he advocates reserving voting rights to mothers. The know they have a stake in the future. I don't detect any sarcasm where he writes this, either.
Claire
Absolutely brilliant. This collection of sci-fi short stories and non-fiction writing is funny, erudite and completely hits the spot. I particularly enjoyed his musings on Communist-era Russia, which are shocking and laugh-out-loud funny at the same time. Totally recommended!
Gareth
A collection of short stories written between the 1940s to the 1970s, ranging from typical Heinlein SF tales, through commentary on the nuclear threat, to predictions about the future. 600+ pages, 20+ stories. Overall, a mixed bag of quality ranging from good to average.
Russ
Boring, there was one short story that if you are a Lazarus Long fan you need to read. Otherwise it is an outdated book of Robert's predictions. His books from the 50's have better predictions of what we have today in the 21st century than this book from 1979 did.
Sarena
I found Robert Heinlein's short stories to be fascinating, however, I really enjoyed the autobiographical aspect of this particular collection.
Deirdre
A good read for anyone of my generation who needs an eye-opener about social/political/economic change within the last 50 years or so.
Sandi
the actual stories were ok, the stuff in between (comprising most of the book, unfortunately) was pretty boring.
  • The Other Side Of The Sky
  • The Martian Way and Other Stories
  • The Gateway Trip (Heechee Saga, #5)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • All The Myriad Ways
  • I Sing the Body Electric!
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4)
  • Cold Steel: Bolos 6
  • The Warmasters
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...
Stranger in a Strange Land Starship Troopers The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love (The World As Myth) The Puppet Masters

“The 3-legged stool of understanding is held up by history, languages, and mathematics. Equipped with those three you can learn anything you want to learn. But if you lack any one of them you are just another ignorant peasant with dung on your boots.” 21 likes
“I was there to see beautiful naked women. So was everybody else. It's a common failing.” 8 likes