Start by marking “The Last Good Night” as Want to Read:
The Last Good Night

The Last Good Night

Laura Barrett has it all - fame and success as coanchor of the national evening news, a charming husband, and a beautiful baby daughter. But it is all about to end. One night, a man approaches her outside the network studio and calls her "Marta." And in that instant, Laura knows that her last good night is over and what she's feared for so long has finally arrived. Marta. ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Kensington (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Good Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Good Night

Maureen
Nov 30, 2009 Maureen rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book but the ending was way to quick.
Kolleen
Oct 05, 2010 Kolleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Marta grows up rough. She has a mother's who is a prostitute and her stepfather molests her. As Marta grows older, she decides to follow in her mother's footsteps and hook for money as well... until she meets Jack. Jack becomes Marta's first true love and savior, until the unthinkable happens (I won't spoil it here!).

Fast forward about 21 years, and Marta is now Laura Barrett, working as a news anchor with a husband and brand new baby. Her life seems perfect since she escaped her old life, until
Whitney
Jun 06, 2012 Whitney rated it it was ok
This book seemed like a very long Lifetime movie. Depending on your tastes, this is either good or bad. You decide.

There was too much pointless detail of day to day life, work, and other inconsequential activities. I wanted more scandal, more secrecy and a thicker plotline. The “secret” could have been extensively juicier and shocking. It was almost like a letdown. I read and read seeking for that moment of exposure, then when it was revealed a big exasperated “Oh” followed. Come on? Really? I
Linda DiMeo Lowman
This would be a good beach or vacation book. An easy, quick read. The best parts of the book are when she writes about the main character's childhood and teen years before she meets Jack. She won't win any literary awards with this book. I'm clearing off my bookshelves by reading all I own before I can more anymore books. Suffice to say that it was good enough to pull me in and good enough to keep reading.
Jenn
Mar 21, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
If this novel was meant to have a moral, it would certainly be that you can't hide forever. No matter what we do to distance ourselves from our crimes, no matter how far we try to run away from what we've done, someone always remembers and the past will eventually come back to haunt us.
Nov 19, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Not really my favorite book i've read over the past few days. Sure no one can forget their past and yes it does come back to haunt people.
Jul 09, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
The first part grabbed me and sucked me in. The second part was pretty formulaic. The third and fourth part were okay but I wanted a more powerful ending.
Eileen
Jan 16, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it
I thought there needed to be an epilogue or more finality in the ending. Everything happened so fast and then it was just done. Otherwise a very suspenseful, addicting read.
Kristy
Mar 08, 2010 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of this story is: don't lie. But then, if the main character hadn't lied, then I wouldn't have had an entertaining story to read. Still.....don't lie!
Maureen
Apr 14, 2009 Maureen rated it really liked it
I just finished this and went on-line to order all the novels by Emily Listfield. Reads quickly, yet well written with interesting characters.
Casey
Dec 08, 2010 Casey rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story that had many twist that I did not expect and found disturbing. While it had characteristics that made me not like the book I would say overall it was a great story.
Laura Mcewen-miller
Jan 11, 2014 Laura Mcewen-miller rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book;the suspense was real,will read more by Listfield
Lynsyrenay
Lynsyrenay rated it liked it
May 17, 2011
Susan Mahler-hughes
Susan Mahler-hughes rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Jill Wilch
Jill Wilch rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Jessaca Chapman
Jessaca Chapman rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Kayra
Kayra rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2009
Megen
Megen rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2011
Amy Field
Amy Field rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Susan Burcham
Susan Burcham rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Shirley Goldstein
Shirley Goldstein rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Anjana
Anjana rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Lisa
Feb 23, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Secrets from Laura's past threaten her future.
Lori Mangan
Lori Mangan rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2015
Jennifer Colucci
Jennifer Colucci rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • To the Last Breath
  • Night Over Water: And Dangerous Fortune
  • Busted
  • Hanging Curve
  • Lazarus and the Hurricane: The Freeing of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter
  • The Ex
  • The Killing of a President: The Complete Photographic Record of the JFK Assassination
  • Evil Intentions: How an Act of Kindness Led to Senseless Murder
  • Deceptions
  • Everything to Gain and A Secret Affair
  • Just Jackie: Her Private Years
  • Pleasurable Bargains
  • The Tunnel and the Light: Essential Insights on Living and Dying
  • A Random Act: An Inspiring True Story of Fighting to Survive and Choosing to Forgive
  • Awake in the Dark