Start by marking “Forcing Amaryllis” as Want to Read:
Forcing Amaryllis

Forcing Amaryllis

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  15 reviews
- FORCING AMARYLLIS provides a new slant on courtroom mysteries. Louise Ure pulls back the curtain on jury consulting: the combination of psychology and marketing that has fascinated the nation in major courtroom battles since the O.J. Simpson trial.- The atmosphere of the Southwest is almost a character in this richly drawn novel, from the descriptions of the heat to the ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Warner Books (NY) (first published June 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forcing Amaryllis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forcing Amaryllis

T.L. Cooper
Forcing Amaryllis by Louise Ure steps outside the formulaic mystery with a touching and engaging story about a sister's determination to find justice for her sister, Amaryllis, a rape and attempted murder victim. Calla Gentry is assigned to work as a jury consultant as part of the defense team of an accused rapist and murderer. Calla see eerie similarities to her sister's case, but then must reconcile the differences in Amaryllis's account of her account and the facts of the current case. Amaryl ...more
Maya
Melodee Parks
I felt this was unrealistic in many ways and I was also able to figure out the ending about halfway through.
Chris Witkowski
Decent mystery that kept me guessing through about 90% of the book. Then it all fell apart when the main character did the most stupid thing, putting herself in great danger. Not to worry, though, she manages to get out alive against all odds.

Enjoyed the descriptions of the southwest and felt the author did a good job of presenting us with a protagonist I cared about. Will check out her other books and hope she can sustain the plot throughout the whole book.
Mary Havlovic
Calla Gentry works on a legal team of accused rapist and murderer Ray Cates. After hearing evidence she is convinced that he might have been responsible for her sister's rape. She begins to work on compiling evidence to try and help his legal team prove his innocence but in reality, she is hoping to connect him to her sister's rape. The book kept me wanting to read more until I just read it all the way through. Good read and recommend it if you like a thriller.
Rhonda
This is good legal thriller about final justice for Amaryllis. Her sister, Calla, is determined to find the serial rapist and murder. The author did a great job building the characters and the plot of the book was exciting. It is a mystery so of course I was trying to guess who the bad guy was. It is kind of obvious but the story was still good.
Vivian
Ure's debut novel, set in Arizona, won the 2006 Shamus Award for Best First Novel. While I enjoyed the book, and it was well written, it lacked many of the elements which make a good suspense/thriller. However, the descriptions of the Southwest were vivid and beautiful. I'll probably look to read the author's other books in the future.
Kae Cheatham
Calla Gentry is a trial researcher, helping to set up juries, etc. Her recent case is of a suspected rapist, and she becomes certain he is the same man who raped her sister seven years ago. She begins her own investigation into the old facts while continuing with her trial work. Good characters and sense of place (Arizona).
Terri
Her suster's rape 7 years ago is brought to forefront when Calla is hired to work on research for the defense of a man accused of a crime very similar to that of her sister. Is it him? or is he innocent and another rapist/killer out there? Suspenseful and interesting
Richard L
“This is a gripping novel combining a strong courtroom section with good psychological and mystery parts added in to create an exciting book set in southern Arizona. The characters are nicely drawn and strong, the plot is good and so is the pacing.”
Nancy
I enjoyed her second book so decided to read the first. It was very good, too. If you like mysteries, I recommend it! I like the characters and this book is more believable than her second.
Dara S.
This was a good mystery about a sister who seeks justice for her sister who lies in a coma.
Cindy
Kept my interest, but it wasn't a "wow" book.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 14, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
fairly good
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Carly
Carly added it
Nov 16, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Louise Ure spent a quarter of a century in advertising and marketing in the United States, Singapore and Australia before finding her true love: writing crime fiction. Her debut mystery, Forcing Amaryllis, won the Shamus Award for Best First Novel, and Booklists starred review said, "Ures debut so compellingly evokes the hot, dry Southwest, readers may want to have an ice-cold glass of water nearb ...more
More about Louise Ure...