Start by marking “The Art of Agile Development” as Want to Read:
The Art of Agile Development

The Art of Agile Development

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Art of Agile Development contains practical guidance for anyone considering or applying agile development for building valuable software. Plenty of books describe what agile development is or why it helps software projects succeed, but very few combine information for developers, managers, testers, and customers into a single package that they can apply directly.

This
Published November 2nd 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Agile Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Agile Development

Drive by Daniel H. PinkThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyCoaching Agile Teams by Lyssa AdkinsThe Lean Startup by Eric Ries
Agile Coaching
14th out of 92 books — 66 voters
PMI-ACP® Exam Prep, Premier Edition by Mike GriffithsAgile Estimating and Planning by Mike CohnScarred for Life, Healed Forever by Ashwati MenonLean-Agile Software Development by Alan ShallowayThe Art of Agile Development by James Shore
Agile PMI ACP books
5th out of 13 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben
Aug 15, 2011 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, business, software
Admittedly, this is my first complete book that had anything to do with extreme programming. I'm very familiar with Scrum, but am relatively new to pair programming, TDD and the like. However, where I am in my professional career, this was of the utmost importance. If you are in an organization that is moving to Agile practices, this book is not only helpful, but necessary.
Rod Hilton
"The Art of Agile Development" by James Shore and Shane Warden is a book that is primarily focused on explaining Agile to people who want to adopt Agile software development practices for their team. The bulk of book is divided into sections based on a categorization on agile practices. There is a chapter on practices that help with thinking, one for collaborating, one for releasing, one for planning, and one for developing. In each of these chapters, there is a section devoted to a specific pra ...more
Rob
Aug 26, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical, 2012, business
short version: A bit dogmatic, but these dudes have done their homework, and if you can tolerate the preachy "seriously, you need to do exactly what I'm describing" tone of it all, there are lots of valuable gems buried within. The bad news: you're going to need support from management to make all this work, and even with that support, it could be hairy in a big organization and/or with a lot of legacy code behind you.

Also... ALSO: Kanban gets mentioned in here several, albeit not by name--and
Hans
Aug 20, 2015 Hans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I strongly recommend this book if you work in a Agile shop or you are considering moving toward Agile and/or XP. I am a strong advocate of Agile Software Development. The use of pair programming and test driven development have elevated my productivity significantly.

There are some limitations to this book. It is not written in the most inviting manner. Compared to other books, such as the Lean Startup, it is a bit thick to get through some sections. Compared to the Gang of Four Design Patterns i
Mike
Apr 30, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: development
As its name indicates, The Art of Agile Development describes in much detail just that. It does so by covering one species of the Agile genus, Extreme Programming (XP). According to the authors, a key component of the agile method is to work in small steps; the software architecture should be manifest in incremental stages, each one responsive to a direct need. Perhaps in line with this approach, the book's chapters consist of a very short intro delimiting a topic followed by many short (1-5 pag ...more
Daniel Noventa
Jul 21, 2015 Daniel Noventa rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Opened my eyes on the methods we're already using. XP, or extreme programing seems interesting, since the overall work is supposed to be decreased. It does require a high level of mindfulness, so, extreme seems to mean with a sense of purpose. Recommend this book to any developer.
Thomas Kuryura
Feb 07, 2014 Thomas Kuryura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone that wants to learn and understand XP pratices, lots of tips from the author on how, to build or improve your process. A great guide for Scrum Masters that wants to improve in Agile.
Kevin
Feb 20, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
Lots of good ideas on Agile in general, however the book generally champions eXtreme Programming which occasionally obfuscates some of those good ideas.

There are a sections that are specifically devoted to get XP up and running -- these are basically waste if you aren't going to implement (or participate in) XP. Other sections that covers things like "10 minute build", "Energised Work", limiting yourself to tasks that can be accomplished in a few hours (and avoiding carrying over between days!),
Tariq Shraim
Mar 10, 2013 Tariq Shraim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Praise for The Art of Agile Development
“Jim Shore and Shane Warden expertly explain the practices and benefits of Extreme
Programming. They offer advice from their real-world experiences in leading teams.
They answer questions about the practices and show contraindications—ways that a
practice may be misapplied. They offer alternatives youcan try if there are impediments
to applying a practice, such as the lack of an on-site customer.
“The explanations do not stop with just the practices. Discussion
Khang Nguyen
Jan 19, 2016 Khang Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Great book, really practical and teach me a lot about Agile development, far more than the little process description covered in Software engineering courses.
Pirkka
Jun 24, 2014 Pirkka rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Not much new but does an excellent job at giving a complete description of Extreme Programming and Agile software development.
Olli Sorje
Jun 24, 2014 Olli Sorje rated it really liked it
Very good book about agile development and XP. It made me think a lot and I really enjoyed reading it.
Andy Tischaefer
Mar 21, 2014 Andy Tischaefer rated it it was amazing
It's hard to give a reference book 5 stars but I truly think that what Shore did with this book is special. It feels comprehensive without being overwhelming. It is based around practical ideas. It acknowledges its limitations. It is stern without being dogmatic. And it's written in a way that is accessible and easy to understand. I don't hold any illusions that I'll be able to turn my development team into a truly Agile/XP house but Shore has provided a script and steps that I can take to impro ...more
Alessandro Pellizzari
Jun 13, 2011 Alessandro Pellizzari rated it really liked it
Shelves: manuali, e
Ottimo libro. Dopo una prima parte introduttiva, ma un po' noiosa e ripetitiva, entra nel vivo delle tecniche di sviluppo agile spiegandole molto bene, anche se, necessariamente, in modo slegato da qualsiasi linguaggio di programmazione o tool correlato. La terza parte, molto breve, spiega come adattare i metodi agili a situazioni particolari. Purtroppo è molto incentrato sui team "ideali", formati da almeno 5 o 6 programmatori impegnati in progetti mediamente lunghi (12-24 mesi), e difficilment ...more
Christopher Litsinger
Jan 26, 2012 Christopher Litsinger rated it did not like it
Shelves: shelved, development
This book reminded me of the guy at the party who had a few too many drinks but really, really wants to tell you all about the new religion/philosophy/band that he has discovered and wants to tell you all about.
In great detail.
I made it about 1/2 way through, and it started repeating itself, so I abandoned it.
The book talks about a lot of stuff that makes sense, the idea of Agile development has some good points, but this book was just a little too sure of itself to be a good overview for a non-
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 23, 2012 Torben Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly good book on agile and agile practices. The book describes XP, but should go on the reading list for anyone working with scrum or agile development in general. The book describes the agile practices and also manages to clearly describe the effect and feedback loops between different practices.
When you are ready to move beyond the 'simple' agile frame of scrum this is the book to guide you while adding specific agile practices to scrum.
Eduardo
Mar 20, 2012 Eduardo rated it it was amazing
A must read for all novice practitioners who want to familiarize themselves with the concepts of agile development, or for those who are already consider themselves as experienced, to refine and enrich their knowledge. In fact, whether we want to handle XP, Scrum, DSDM or any other agile methodology, we should take a look at this book, because it provides a good theoretical foundation on which to base our development projects.
Philip
Dec 13, 2008 Philip rated it liked it
Shelves:
I like this book so far, reading it in very on off fashion. I got introduced to agile development a couple of years ago and have since worked with a company who used it to develop a software product for us. The book is quite academic and I feel at this early stage (about 1/3 read) that is another tome from which I will take elements and use in my work. Another methodology like prince -so steal the best bits!
Enrique
Feb 24, 2015 Enrique rated it really liked it
This book describes the whole process of a development with many practical tips in every developments phase.
I've learnt the concepts of root cause analysis and fail fast in this book and they are really important now in my daily work.

The only thing I dont like about the book is that the book assumes developers are the constraint on the team.
Tareq Alkhatib
Aug 24, 2014 Tareq Alkhatib rated it liked it
Good content. Horrible writing style.
Paul
Mar 10, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
I bought this book years ago and read it. Now, years later, it still feels actual and not outdated at all.
I notice that from time to time I open it and read some parts in it and they still make me think "aha!" or "just what I thought too", "yep, noticing that". Still has it's practical value on the floor.
Jon
Nov 11, 2015 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really solid intro to Agile as implemented in XP. I mostly liked the organization, and the individual examples served well, but one more big example of how it all fit together would have been nice. Gave me a lot to think about in organizing development tasks.
Derek Neighbors
Aug 19, 2013 Derek Neighbors rated it really liked it
Fantastic book to start with for anyone wanting to know more about Agile Software Development. James does a good job of showing multiple methodologies and frameworks. It is clear, James is a practitioner and speaks with authority.
Rick Austin
Aug 09, 2011 Rick Austin rated it it was amazing
Eye opener to the many practices and the results of those practices from the XP world. Well written with many practical examples of the application of these practices. Tremendous focus on the value of people in software development.
Xerox
Feb 16, 2009 Xerox added it
Shelves: chris-home
More of an XP focus, this book contains the definition of 'slack' which will be an important principal for how we balance projects with necessary technical and productivity improvements.

Many managers in the team have a copy of this.
Ciprian Rusen
Jan 07, 2011 Ciprian Rusen rated it really liked it
Lots of good examples and tips.

Sometimes a bit hard to read for longer periods of time. The style in which is written can sometimes put you to sleep, even though the content is actually good and applicable in real-life.
Caolan McMahon
Oct 04, 2012 Caolan McMahon rated it liked it
At times preachy, repetitive and lacking depth. On the whole, a reasonable overview of common XP practices. I'd definitely recommend reading "Agile Estimating and Planning" by Mike Cohn over this.
Matthew Hodge
Oct 07, 2012 Matthew Hodge rated it really liked it
The book I read that introduced me to Agile methodologies. You might not want to just use the XP system - there are others - but the main points of this book are fantastic. Agile changed my life.
Eugenios
Dec 03, 2012 Eugenios rated it really liked it
A book about agile development, and specifically Extreme Programming (XP).
Learned a lot not only on the XP practices, but also the philosophy and principles behind them.
Timoteo Ponce
Oct 16, 2012 Timoteo Ponce rated it liked it
It is a good book in general, but I haven't fully enjoyed it since I already read most of the things described on this book.
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »