Moods of Future Joys

Moods of Future Joys

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Alastair Humphreys' round the world journey of 46,000 miles was an old-fashioned adventure: long, lonely, low-budget and spontaneous. Cycling across five continents and sailing over the oceans, his ride took four years to complete, on a tiny budget of hoarded student loans. Moods of Future Joys is the story of the first remarkable stage of the expedition. Just two weeks in...more
Hardcover
Published by Adlibbed Ltd (first published November 1st 2007)

Shane
Having followed Alastair's blog and videos for some time I decided to read the books. I wasn't disappointed! He has a great writing style and I found it easy to keep turning pages. I've already started on the next one too!
Gonçalo Peres
The best cycle-touring book I've read so far. Well written, great stories and metaphysical thoughts, nice character evolution, nice rhythm, never fading adventures. Loved it!
Emma K.
not amazingly well written, but a very interesting story about a guy biking from London through the Middle east and Africa down to Cape Town
Mark Glover
Alistair Humpreys book is one for the everyday adventurer, setting off underprepared, overwhelmed and unsure of his ability we follow Humprey's as he slowly adapts to a journey he had dreamt up but perhaps not thought through. I really enjoyed this book because of the honesty Humphreys displays in his writing, to start with he was no true adventurer and he admits as much, he lets us into the sense of overwhelming fear that must in stalk every journey of its ilk. While his language is not overly...more
Sam
Alastair Humphreys has such a beautiful, fluent style of writing that he could keep a reader entertained with a story that analyses the process of photosynthesis. It goes without saying then, that Humphreys writing about his round-the-world Odyssey makes for quite an enthralling read. This book could quite easily be knocked off in a few hours but it packs a punch for a rather small read. Jam-packed with action, romance, humour and of course, adventure, it gives a real insight into the emotional...more
Dave
This book is a fun easy read which will inspire any would-be adventure travellers. Alastair is a likeable, genuine character and writes with much skill. I read the kindle version which appears to be published by Eye Books rather than self published as the earlier reviews seem to indicate the paperback was. However, it still lacks polish, and the frequency of punctuation mistakes and typos was a little infuriating, could do with another edit. This isn't reason enough not to read it however.
Oliver
It's hard to fathom just how far alistair rode. How many hours he and his mind spent alone with a seemingly endless stretch of road. I guess the major theme in the book is that in the end, after a whole load of soul searching, we finally find ourselves back where were we started; in Alistair's case both metaphorically and physically. The quotes used throughout the book were great and the descriptions of the scenes were romantic and vivid.
Nigel
A wonderful first book from the author describing his experiences, thoughts and feelings on the first half of his cycling journey around the world. Well worth a read.
Some reviews have commented that the book wasn't well written or that it needed editing. These I think are unfair as it is the authors first book and he says at the end that an editor would have been nice but he was self publishing the book. So I believe it was a cost he probably could not meet.
Tom Allen
This is the book that played a large part in prompting me, for better or worse, to hit the road myself for a bicycle journey lasting several years. Even in the current glut of self-published monologues about long and tedious transcontinental rides, it remains a leading example in the genre. A generous amount of thoughtful, relatable introspection makes it compelling reading for those more interested in motivation and getting the most out of life, as well as those into their travel tales and bicy...more
Andrew Gills
The standard by which cycling adventure stories will always be measured for me. I loved this book and the way the author shared his experiences. I found the book easy to read and finished it within a week (which is fast for me).
David Kroodsma
I like Alstair, I admire him. He biked around the world using half as much money per day…no less, than I did when I crossed Latin America. He had bad equipment, as shown by his frequent breakdowns of his wheels. I want to only praise him for his accomplishment and for his ability to bike around the world and then sit down and write the book.

Alstair is not a gifted writer. But who is? Why should books be reserved for writers to write?

This book does not deserve five stars. But it gets it anyway...more
John
A fairly quick read, covering a lot of ground. I was struck by how naive - foolhardy when he went swimming in a lake that he knew was likely full of bilharzia - he could be. However, his optimism makes the book a good read; he notes the problems of the societies, but doesn't dwell on them. I wasn't sure if I'd want to get the second part, but after reading his epilogue, explaining that he did the trip because he wanted to, and self published the book because he felt that was better than no story...more
Stephen
The second half of the book is a definite improvement over the fairly unengaging first. The journey through the african continent holds some facinating moments and some surprisingly thought provoking ones too. Enjoyable book. The only things that let it down are the irrelevant 'recipes' which appear throughout the text and the far more numerous (and irritating) 'wise quotations'. Overall I have to say I really enjoyed it and look forward to the ultimate stage of his journey in the next book.
Andy
Read this book, especially if you enjoy bicycling or adventure of any kind.

Al rides from Yorkshire to Cape Town on his bicycle. As you can imagine, it's quite a journey and many things happen along the way.

Luckily, I also bought volume 2 and look forward to continuing the adventure. I also read the Rob Lilliwal book and look forward to seeing what kind of intersection there might be for the Russian segment.

Theja Putta
Firstly, the title captures perfectly what I think about during any adventure. Many people ask us "Why do you do it? Why go through all that? What were you thinking?" Well, The answer is 'Moods of Future Joys'

This book has no illusions on what it is. It was not meant to be a literary masterpiece. Instead it was meant to share a wonderful experience and I love it for what it is.

Thank you for the ride Al.
Kim
I read this book for a class (Technical Writing) and really enjoyed it. I'm not really sure why it was on the Technical Writing booklist. I'm going to have to do a book report on it. Great story, kind of low key, about a guy who takes of on his bicycle and rides from his home in England to South Africa. This is the first book of his trip-around-the-world on a bike. Pretty cool.
Emma
Apr 25, 2007 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair traveller, adventurers, any age
Absolutely awesome. A total MUST READ for any armchair traveller. Tracing this young man's adventure around the world on a bicycle, this book is part diary, part travelogue, part emotional outpouring, part sightseeing guide from London to South Africa. Kiss my whatsit, Bill Bryson, this twenty-something knocks you into a cocked hat... :)
Miles
Humphreys ambitiously sets out to cycle around the world - a journey that took him four years (this is part 1: England to Cape Town). An good read, but the Humphreys doesn't quite go deep enough in his analysis of himself and the countries he passes through. I fun read, but it left me wanting something a bit more.
Cyrus
The first half of an epic journey that a young guy from England undertook and the story of the things he saw along the way. It's a life that I would like to lead if I could just figure out how to make it happen. Until then, living vicariously through Al's experiences will be experience enough!
Martinxo
This is part one of Alastair Humphreys' cycle ride across the world, or is that around the world, or is there a difference? Whatever, it's an enjoyable enough read, it would have got 4 stars but for the lack of some serious editing on behalf of an obviously non-existent, or lazy, editor.
George Mahood
I've read a lot books about cycling adventures, but this is the best by far. It's beautifully written, thoroughly engaging and incredibly inspiring. If you have any interest in travel or adventure then you need to read this book. You won't be disappointed.
Dom
An incredible insight into the day-to-day problems of cycle touring on a small budget. Alastair offers great stories and touching moments of his adventures and inspires me to keep going. A true Yorkshireman.
Mark Bell
A good description of a great journey. I found this engrossing and highly entertaining - looking forward to picking up part 2.
Amy
Great book for any person who has ever cycle toured or would like to. What an impressive trip!!
Fluffy
Lovely book. Just makes you want to go off on a cycling adventure of your own.
Laird Dinsmore
This is a great read ..... nice writer who seems to be a genuine lover of life.
Linda Stuart
I really really really wanted to love this book. I did not.
Rob Langton
The terrible title and cover really don't do this book justice.
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong book cover 9 26 Dec 02, 2011 04:36PM
Thunder & Sunshine There Are Other Rivers: On Foot Across India Ten Lessons from the Road The Boy Who Biked the World: On the Road to Africa Thunder and Sunshine: Around the World by Bike, Part 2