Start by marking “Steps Through the Mist: A Mosaic Novel” as Want to Read:
Steps Through the Mist: A Mosaic Novel

Steps Through the Mist: A Mosaic Novel

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Five women in various stages of life--all connected by a mysterious, obscuring mist--face the deterministic trap of fate in this mosaic novel. A freshman at a girl's boarding school gains the strange ability to share other people's dreams, whereas a young woman in a straitjacket desperately tries to select a very particular future from among countless possibilities. A midd ...more
Published September 30th 2007 by Aio Publishing Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Steps Through the Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steps Through the Mist

Tuck
Dec 27, 2011 Tuck rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: noir
what zivkovic calls a mosaic novel, told in 5 parts from 5 stories, investigates the unreality of reality, via a metaphor of mist descending so that the character is totally enveloped and must rely on their inner dialog to figure out their fate (death, of course). i like zivkovic for has style of very matter-of-fact telling, but very surreal circumstances and that usually end in miserable and mostly violent death. Author continually questions fate, choices, freewill, and chance, usually to the d ...more
Megan
Five interlocking short stories that walk through the eternal debate: is life predetermined or is it left up to chance? Can possibly leave you feeling a tad creeped out. Don't read before you go to sleep.

for a more thorough review

Natalie
So bizarre.

Can a girl visit the dreams of others? What is a dream and what is reality? Should someone be allowed to dictate the future? Can you stop time? What if you're dead and can't tell? Can you choose when it's time to die?

This book creeped me out. There's no logical reason as to why it freaked me out as much as it did. There are five simple stories about five different women. Through every story flows the ethereal mist - disguising and distorting reality.

The women, themselves, were a lit
Jessie Tapley
I really was drawn in by this book, because it was so mysterious! I had no idea what to expect. There was no description, just a black book with an interesting title. I loved the writing style; the book contained a few short stories which all had a sense of chilling finality to them, all feeling complete as they were read on their own, yet were connected to a central theme, which gave the stories some fluency as they shifted. The writing is eerie, but in a wonderful and subtle way.

The most inter
Rick
Reminiscent of the best of Frederic Brown, Anthony Boucher, and Jonathan Carroll, Serbian writer Zoran Zivkovic’s latest book Steps Through the Mists (Atelier Polaris, 2003) traverses the unpredictable worlds of Fate. Five women of various ages, occupations, and mental states encounter their unique futures: a school girl journeys in others’ dreams; a woman in a straightjacket not only sees the future, but determines it as well; a middle-aged skier encounters a mysterious being who attempts to co ...more
Yune
"Miss Alexandra dreamed that she was in an asylum for the mentally disturbed after a traffic accident in which she hurt her head. She had terrible visions that frightened her. A doctor came to visit and she told him about her visions, but he didn't believe them. Miss Theodora dreamed that she was skiing. An unusually dressed man sat next to her on the ski lift. He explained that he was not there by accident. He had come to see which path she would take to ski down the slope. For some reason this ...more
Kate
The Complete Review has never let me down.

Zoran Zivkovic's Steps Through the Mist is a collection of inter-connected short stories (a mosaic novel, if you will) about five women, each with a unique relationship to their fate. There is an interesting investigation here into creation, knowledge and command; in each story, a woman may have all or none regarding her fate but her possession of any of them forms the crux of each story or 'tile'.

This was a fresh, exciting piece of writing and I'm
Pam Herrmann
Five short stories - strange book about women and mist. Probably a little too deep for me.
Sae-chan
Beautiful little black book. Reason enough to own this book. Can be kept as a low maintenance pet.

The stories were told in simple manner, makes it easy for the reader to get drawn into the grey mist. There are many ways to navigate through the mist. Many times we stick to the way that has been familiar to us. Maybe it's time to try other ways....

Barb
Outstanding book, I came across on the bookshelf at the Central Library in Seattle. I am always up for a new author, a different writing perspective. I sank into this book, reading it twice before taking it back. Each story had something to ponder upon.
Sara
The five stories in this book are quick to read and intensely unique. Initially each story seems to stand on its own but parts of each story blend themselves into the others and it really helps the novel feel complete.
Maggie
Zivkovic uses the motif of fate as a thread to weave together the stories of four diverse women. It's a weird little thing, but I enjoyed it; I can see how fans of Jean-Paul Sartre would too.
Mary
Sep 18, 2010 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
Interesting little collection of short stories about women and fate, linked together by the introductory piece. Best read all in one sitting so the connections are not missed.
Aiden moone
This is a book written by an author that has such talent, that it is rare to find one once in a million years! It will touch your heart and entertain your mind
David Wernsing
I really didn't understand this book. It might be great if you understand it.
Jenn
Good short stories, but I felt like something was lost in the translation.
Karen
Unusual and enjoyable.
Shanti
May 12, 2010 Shanti added it
good
Ashley Groppe
Ashley Groppe marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jason Miller
Jason Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Zoran Zivkovic was born in Belgrade, former Yugoslavia, in 1948. In 1973 he graduated from the Department of General Literature with the theory of literature, Faculty of Philology of the University of Belgrade; he received his master's degree in 1979 and his doctorate in 1982 from the same school. He lives in Belgrade, Serbia, with his wife Mia, their twin sons Uros and Andreja, and their four cat ...more
More about Zoran Živković...
Hidden Camera The Library The Last Book The Fourth Circle Impossible Stories