Start by marking “Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself” as Want to Read:
Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself

Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Widely acclaimed for its engaging style and provocative perspective, this book has helped thousands transform their working lives. Now the paperback edition features a comprehensive 30-page resource guide that explains the basics of working for oneself.
Published May 1st 2002 by Business Plus (first published April 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Free Agent Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Agent Nation

Finding Your Own North Star by Martha N. BeckLet Your Life Speak by Parker J. PalmerA Hidden Wholeness by Parker J. PalmerThe Gifts of Imperfection by Brené BrownThe Magic of Conflict by Thomas F. Crum
Vocation / calling / discernment
16th out of 31 books — 14 voters
The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club by Chris     MurrayPositioning by Al RiesThe E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. GerberThe Tipping Point by Malcolm GladwellSelling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
Strong Business Books
47th out of 52 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Isk
Interesting chapters: Chapter 15, 16. The rest is boring: uninteresting details, or obvious if you've given any thought to freelancing.

Might be good if you are new to or utterly bemused by freelancing; otherwise, not recommended (except perhaps the chapters mentioned above) -- just read the chapter summaries the author provides.

Interesting tidbits:
1/4 of workers in America are freelancers; 2/3 in California hold non-traditional jobs.
Most people find jobs through contacts; and 5/6 of those cases,
Annemieke Windt
Daniel Pink - Free Agent Nation
Sometimes a book is overtaken by history. Daniel Pink's Free Agent Nation is an optimistic look at the future, where more people will work for themselves and an entire economy will be reorganized to accomodate this growing army of Free Agents. But it's a book from 2001, written before 9/11 and before the Credit Crunch. So with hindsight it's an overly optimistic book.

Does that mean that it was a waiste of time to read it. No, certainly not. Pink is an engaging writ
Bob Redmond
This is another interesting book from Daniel Pink about the intersection of cultural trends, market forces, and an individual's place amidst them. Once upon a time, people found themselves easily within families, nations, corporations, or other "ideological apparatuses" to paraphrase Louis Althusser. Now, however, all the machines are broken and decentralized. Pink does a great job of putting a lot of this into focus.

On the other hand, most of what he writes here is patently obvious. Maybe it wa
Annakingston
Now, I just want to say up front I love Dan Pink, that is to say, I’m a big Dan Pink fan, whichmade it even worse to be so disappointed with Free Agent Nation. It’s not that he didn’t have anything useful to say on the topic of starting your own business, just that it all seemed a bit trite and the ideas regurgitated from somewhere else. He talked a lot about why being a freeagent was changing the world (really?a big claim) but not much about how.

What I did like about this book is that Dan knows
Finlay
Lots of values in here that resonate with me. The book is quite dry, and seems a little dated (2001) -- it would be interesting to see newer numbers to see how these trends progressed, especially in light of services like AWS and Stripe that make it easier than ever to independently serve your stuff to the world. Feels like a bit of a companion to The Cluetrain Manifesto.
Max Ong Zong Bao
Work at your own terms, at your own size, at your own choice of locations from Starbucks to the public library and earn a good living out of it. The basis of a free agent that is conceived in this book
Jamie Christensen
Interesting book and amazingly still relevant, probably even more so than when the author wrote it in 2001. I usually think it's interesting to see how predictions have changed when a book is older -- this is a pretty timeless one. His theories on more people choosing to work independently rather than for large corporations is even more relevant after coming through the financial crisis. Sadly, I wish some of his predictions on small business taxes, healthcare and other social policies had come ...more
Paul Deveaux

Good historical and cultural background to the changing landscape of work. Interesting to read the book now and see what predictions came true and which ones we are still waiting for. Definitely not the book to read if you need to kick start yourself into self employment. It is very much a background work bordering on academic. For more hands on guidance I would recommend Pam Slim's Escape from Cubicle Nation, Chris Guillebeau's The $100 Startup, or Jon Acuff's Quitter. Those three are more cur
Penny
This might be the book that really started us on the path to getting an LLC going. A friend of mine lent me a copy of this book. Although I didn't have time to read much of it Gary just loved it. He put post-it notes on page after page.

Although it may paint the picture of being you own boss as a bit too rosy, it does give you some good ideas about what's going to be involved in leaving the world of being an employee.
Anthony Cheng
An absolutely fantastic book that hasn't aged well in some spots (it was written in 2001), 'Free Agent Nation' still feels of-the-moment. Whether by choice or by force, a bigger and bigger chunk of the American workforce is becoming independent. The W-2s are being replaced by 1099s. This book spins out the ramifications of that change on the personal and societal level. Recommended.
Aaron
Dan Pink's first book is his densest--he's honed his writing a great deal in his two books since. The first half is good, but the second half really starts to drag and is kind of dated. Eight years of the Bush administration and corporation-friendly policies have probably set back some of the predictions made in this book by a decade or so.
Jarkko Laine
Loved the ideas and research. Some chapters were a bit boring, and the book could have been shorter. But because of the importance of the topic, I feel this is a must read for anyone not satisfied with being a corporate man or woman.
Julia Bouie
Have always loved Daniel Pink's take on things. We run an outsourced model and it definitely has it's challenges but it guess it comes down to the ethics of the business partner.
Bernard Rodriguez
Interesting data presented. Some of the same ideas can be explored and be seen applied in Pink's Johnny Bunko" manga, which is a 20 minute read and worth checking out.
Greg Linster
Considering that this book was published in 2002, I think Pink wrote it with prescient optimism. I hope he is right about the future of work in America.
Emma Jones
This was the book that inspired me to start Enterprise Nation! Dan Pink spotted that free agency was taking off and he charts its development with panache.
Aaron Glett
Great book on the benefits and pros and cons of the future contract economy and what needs to happen to enable it to work more smoothly.
Kristian Norling
Impressed that the author described and predicted free agency so well in 2002. This book is still valid and a good read.
Elizabeth
May 01, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
hard cover with dustjacket
somewhat marked up dustjacket but otherwise in excellent condition

re women's working status
Fullfaun
This is a dry read for me, More Scientific ... like a thesis paper than anything helpful on how to BE a free agent.
Ryan
Perfectly describes my career aspirations and helped provide the necessary courage needed to start my own company.
Marsha
Interesting and relevant given my hope to find something useful to do between retirement and not working anymore.
Natasha
Less of a "how-to" guide than a sociological research study, but very relevant and helpful nonetheless.
Steven Hartman
Interesting and has a lot of good info but a good chunk is obsolete because it came out in 2001.
Annette
Explores how American's new independent workers are transforming the way we live.
REALLY interesting and inspiring, though I'm not quite ready to take the leap yet :)
Anwen Garston
Worth reading, although the first half seemed a lot more relevant than the second
Brian
Interesting statistics, but ultimately very boring. Very little actionable in this book.
Kathryn
Jul 07, 2008 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Matt
So far so good! Thought provoking, interesting, love it!
Troy Kuhn
A great book for self employed individuals.
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Who: The A Method for Hiring
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • Zen and the Art of Making a Living: A Practical Guide to Creative Career Design
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • One Year to an Organized Work Life: From Your Desk to Your Deadlines, the Week-by-Week Guide to Eliminating Office Stress for Good
  • The Trusted Advisor
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Getting Unstuck: How Dead Ends Become New Paths
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
Daniel H. Pink is the author of a trio of provocative, bestselling books on the changing world of work: A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, The Adventures of Johnny Bunko, and Free Agent Nation. His next book, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, will be published in 2010.

Dan's articles on business and technology appear in many publications, including The
More about Daniel H. Pink...
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future To Sell Is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others The Adventures of Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need The Flip Manifesto