Blank-133x176
How Are You Peeling?: ...

Saxton Freymann

How Are You Peeling?: Foods With Moods

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  819 ratings  ·  103 reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Brief text and photographs of carvings, made from vegetables, introduce the world of emotions by presenting leading questions such as "Are you feeling angry?

Book Details: Format: Library Binding Publication Date: 5/1/2004 Pages: 48 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How Are You Peeling?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Are You Peeling?

Erin M.
Based on concept alone, I have to give this book 5 stars.

I ordered it for my oldest daughter a few years back from Scholastic, because, I had to admit, I wanted to read it. When her teachers saw it, they wanted to read it, too.

Now I am passing a torn, taped and battered copy down to my youngest, hoping she will enjoy it just as much.

There is something simply engaging about the bold, primary colours, the thick, glossy pages, and of course, the odd-shaped vegetables and fruits given more expressi...more
Kelly Maybedog
As the parent of an emotionally disturbed foster daughter, I know first hand how necessary it is for young children to understand their emotions, whether positive or negative, and find appropriate outlets to express those emotions.

This beautiful book is a wonderful way to expose young children to the concept of emotions, and to help a youngster know there is a difference between "sad" and "tired" and "lonely". While the book does not always explain what those emotions mean, it presents the emoti...more
April Poulter
I read a book a few weeks ago by the same author entitled "Fast Food" and really enjoyed it. The pictures are so clever! It is so fun to see how they went about using fruits and vegetables to make faces that convey emotion. Children will love looking at and laughing at the pictures in this book!
Besides the pictures being amazing, this book provides a fun atmosphere in which to talk about feelings and emotions. Having studied child development throughout college, I recognize and am a strong advoc...more
Dan
This is one of the most moving and inspirational books I have ever had the privilege to read. "How Are You Peeling" made me take an objective look at my emotional state and helped me to realize that having different feelings all the time is okay - that's what life is all about! This book quenched my thirst for literature while giving me an unusual craving for turnips.
Heidi
I'm pretty sure I bought this for my cousins as a thank-you gift for letting me stay with them for a time. It was probably when the book was published. I love this book--anything silly like this makes me smile. (Think the cupcake book and the Star Wars cookbooks.) But I like to play with my food and I'm glad others out there do, too.

1/25/12 A great storytime suggestion from my co-worker that was a much better choice than my previous "Squish Rabbit." The text was way too small for me to be able...more
Valerie
“How Are You Peeling? Foods with Moods” is an informational picture book that has pictures of different types of fruits and vegetables. These aren’t just any old foods though, they have emotions too! The pictures of food in this book have been carved out with an exacto knife in order to make them look like animals or to have human-like expressions. The text of this book gives prompts to how the food is probably feeling and suggests what scene might be taking place to the reader.
Response:
When I...more
Marsha
Here is a picture book filled with fruits and vegetables that are surprisingly expressive. Using fruits, beans and careful cutting, fruits, vegetables and squashes show a range of emotions. Colorful and whimsical, this is a collaboration with the inventive Joost Elffers, the one who gave us Play With Your Food.
Hoang Shin
This book is so adorable! The author makes faces out of fruits and vegetables to express different kinds of emotions. It is absolutely so creative! I would use this book to read during a morning meeting to initiate a discussion on feelings--how we help others with theirs and how we deal with our own.
Stephanie
What could be just silly -- fruits and vegetables with faces -- turns thought-provoking as readers must consider what exactly it is about an expression that evokes emotion. The rhyming text is secondary to the delightful photographs of carved produce, from a squash towering over tiny radishes to a strawberry kissing a puckered-up apple. An end note explains how the artists used an Exacto knife and natural materials such as black-eyed peas to create the grinning and scowling veggies. Unlike many...more
Karen
My first thought, wow, this really does take informational books to a different level. Originally, I had thought that the genre would focus more on relaying factual information. It opened by eyes to the category of concept books, to look at elementary factual topics.

This would definitely be more of an elementary book. I think it would be an interesting book to use as a read aloud to a first or second grade room. It could provide good conversations about emotions and how we deal with them. Teach...more
Natasha Ence
I really enjoyed reading this book. This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I just thought that it was so creative and fun to look at. It was interesting to see how much we thing that emotions are all in the face.
Shelby Moser
How Are You Peeling? was an interesting way of teaching children about the emotions that they might have. The book uses various vegetables with facial expressions to teach the children about different emotions. The book touches on jealousy, anger, happiness, being shy, ect.
I think that this book is creative, it is not one of my favorite books to read, but I would assume many kids would find enjoyment in vegetables with faces on them. This book is obviously for children in the age range of 3-5....more
Lisa Vegan
My library copy had a page torn out so either somebody really liked it or a young child got their hands on it. I didn’t like it enough to borrow another copy to see what I missed.

I was not wowed. The poem that made up the story was only so-so, and the photos of the fruits and vegetables made into faces with various expressions were not as inventive and attractive as others I’ve seen by this artist.

And as a vegan (especially when reading to vegan kids) it’s sufficiently laborious to describe the...more
Kaethe
These guys, they make vegetables into faces, or animals or whatever, and then they take pictures of them. It sounds stupid, but it's brilliant, really.
K.C. Becker
Enjoyable book that leads easily into discussions of feelings, emotions and moods.The pictures are fun and creative.
Emerson
Brilliant! Allows the young reader to explore feelings and emotions through the expressive fruit and vegetable creations Emerson liked to describe how he thought each character felt (angry, excited, happy, nervous, proud...). Ingenious!
Aisha
The day the vegetables came to school
Breanna Zarate
I love this book! This is one of my favorite informational text books! This book is a wonderful way to expose young children to the concept of emotions, and to help a youngster know there is a difference between "happy," "sad," and "tired".
I think this book would be an amazing asset for younger grade teachers, for example kindergartners. There are also may lesson plans that can go along with this specific text as well. Overall, if you teach younger grades I would definitely recommend this book...more
Sheniece
Freymann was very creative when it comes to pictures in this book. It was so cool how he used fruits and vegetables, and other things, to create real facial expressions. I would use this book to have a discussion with my students about the moods being conveyed by the facial expressions being shown. The students and I will have a discussion about what situations make them feel certain ways such as timid, lonely, scared etc. This will help students reflect on feelings which promote social emotiona...more
Kendall Kraiss
Not only is this book cute and informational but the art work is amazing. While teaching kids about types of fruits/vegetables, it also shows them a different kind of art work. The author cuts and creates expressions on the fruits and vegetables to show emotions. It's really amazing! This is great for the younger grades (however even adults would find it cute and amazing). Overall it's a great book to have in your classroom because it can have so much potential to be used in a lesson!
Kirsten
I love this book! All of the illustrations are of fruits and vegetables of difference shapes that have been given eyes and sometimes carved to evoke facial expressions. The range of expressions is really kind of amazing. I was reading this with a group of almost 40 kids, which limited the amount of audience interaction somewhat, but if I was working with a smaller group I probably would have done more with having them guess the emotions being portrayed.
Lynesha Williams
This is an amazing and cute book for children. It promotes healthy eating of fruits and vegetables and expresses feelings of emotions. The colors are bright and each vegetable asks a different question to the fruit and vice versa. At a young age, it is vital for students to know the importance of healthy eating and how to express their emotions. Whether they like broccoli or bell peppers and whether the feel happy or sad students are sure to relate to this book.
Maleigha
This book is full of fruits and vegetable describing how they feel. They "talk" about how they can be happy or sad. This is an excellent way for children to see how facial expressions change. The pages in this book are full of large, colorful illustrations. The children are also able to count the furits and vegetables to see how many are sad and how many are happy. Many other activities can be done too, for example talking about the nutrition of healthy foods.
Zoila Avila
So even though the book is illustrated with various fruits and veggies it isn't about that. This book is about the different moods and feelings we experience all the time. This is a great book to read with children and talk about the way they feel everyday and on certain situations. It's not actually illustraded it's pictures of the fruit and veggies with faces expressing many different moods. Short and to the point and children would enjoy it.
Madonna
This book was so interesting I couldn't stop giggling and staring and the illustrations! The vegetables are real and were actually peeled out and have black-eyed peas for eyes. The book is excellent for linking emotions to facial expression and teaches the children about all kinds of different emotions which they may have experienced before. I love how the children think it is so amusing and fully engage in it while I am reading it.
Briana Deleon
This book contains creative, colorful photography depicting vegetables and fruits with emotions, primarily consisting of anger and uncertainty. Although the photography is vivid, the text does not deliver a wide range of positive emotions. However, this is a great tool for kids to understand their emotions. Despite the few things I thought it lacked, this book would be great for entertaining children with its fantastic photographs.
What a neat book! The illustrations (all photos of real fruits and vegetables!) are fantastic, and all were done with an Exacto knife, according to the book cover. Miles really enjoys reading this and identifying the emotions of the various fruits and veggies. I like it because it helps him identify emotional states and prompts conversation about why someone would feel that way and how different situations make us feel.
Randie
Freymann and Elffers use produce to artistically address an important aspect of child development. Emotional and social well-being. By using fruits and vegetables to ask questions about a child's feelings they not only get children thinking about their feelings and responses to emotions but also provide them with emotional vocabulary that will assist them in expressing themselves and understanding others. Great book!
Babette Reeves
One of the toughest and most important tasks in our growing is learning to recognize and name our feelings. Most of this happens with the help of caring adults but sometimes we all need a little extra help.

Freymann's book is that extra help in a fun, non-threatening format. It's amazing how expressive the fruits and vegetables with their little black-eye pea eyes can be. It really is a remarkable book!
Ivano Parravano
This book is intended for primary grades. It won a New York Times Award for Illustration. This book is a simple picturebook that asks readers how they are feeling; are they mad, sad? The message is simple to understand. The illustrations are excellent. They have real foods n each page that are cut up or decorated to show expressions. It is definitely a captivating book to look at.
How Are You Peelimg? 1 4 Apr 30, 2012 05:36PM
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • My Many Colored Days
  • Charlie Needs a Cloak
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • From Seed to Pumpkin (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • Alphabet Rescue