Start by marking “Bingo (Runnymede, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bingo (Runnymede, #2)

Bingo (Runnymede #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,043 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
In the sequel to her beloved Six of One, Rita Mae Brown returns with another witty tale of passion and rivalry in the small Southern town of Runnymede, Maryland. Newspaper editor Nickel Smith is scrambling to save the local paper from corporate extinction, even as she is engaged in an affair that would shock the town as much as it amazes Nickel herself. Meanwhile, her mot ...more
Published July 6th 1999 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Bingo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bingo

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
124th out of 697 books — 1,785 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Best Literary Fiction
357th out of 779 books — 1,151 voters

More lists with this book...

Deena
Jan 30, 2009 Deena rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern-lit
Tried far too hard to recapture the spirit of Six of One. Like most sequels, this is inferior by a lot.

ETA: Hmm. Apparently I liked it better than I remember. My original Reading Journal notes consider it "very good."
Trula Rae
Aug 29, 2015 Trula Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it is true that laughter is the best medicine, then Rita Mae Brown's, BINGO, will cure anything. I laughed so hard! The small southern town of Runnymede, Maryland, is split down the middle by the Mason-Dixon line. The war between the states is still being played out, and how could it not be?! In trouble with the law in the South? Run north across Town Square and you're free of that jurisdiction. Two sheriff's, two city halls; hilarious!

Nickel Smith is often (always) smack-in-the-middle of her
Carrie Osman
Dec 24, 2014 Carrie Osman rated it did not like it
Definitely not on par with "Six of One", not even close. There are major discrepancies between the supposed history of the characters as compared with "Six" - I thought Nicole was going to be an architect, what's with this newspaper business? That was never mentioned. And just WHAT is she doing in bed with a guy? What is THAT all about? I had never imagined Nicole Smith sleeping with a male in my entire life - it's almost as if RMB is "apologizing" for Nicole's lesbianism. Major turnoff!

The sist
Freyja Vanadis
Jun 05, 2012 Freyja Vanadis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is my favorite of Rita Mae Brown's novels. I don't care for how wishy-washy she makes some of her characters, especially the main character Nicole Smith whom I'm surprised can stand up without help since she lacks a backbone. But overall, this is Brown at her funniest.
I do, however, get the feeling that Brown is a self-loathing lesbian. I've noticed that in almost every one of her books that have a lesbian character, they all sleep with men, thereby making them bisexuals. If it was
Jen
May 18, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
Rita Mae Brown spins a good yarn. When I need a little light-hearted snack to get me comforted before bed, I turn to Brown and her eccentric cast of characters, with whom I fell in love in "Six of One." This tome is told from the POV of Nickel, the adopted lesbian daughter of the spirited Juts - she's having an affair with her best friend's husband. Bingo is missing the heart that I loved so much in "Six of One," and the madcap bickering and capers start to wear a little thin. But still, it's ...more
Marilyn
Oct 06, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
If you need a good laugh, then read this! SIX OF ONE is the earlier book, then this follows. But don't have to read the earlier one to appreciate the hilarity. Read it years ago & have recommended it to so many people who also loved it. (I remember the dog in it as absolutely hysterical, but the whole family consists of such funny characters!
Pam
Jul 26, 2015 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
I loved Six of One and could not get enough of the battling sisters, Julia (Juts) and Louise (Wheezie). In this novel the sisters are in their 80's and still going at it. This time they are fighting over a man. Many of the characters I enjoyed in the first novel are dead by now, but there are many others to get to know.
Angela
Nov 25, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes books based in southern settings with quirky, eccentric characters.
Recommended to Angela by: Nobody...Just a fan of the authors.
Shelves: novel, rita-mae-brown
One of the better books I have read of the Runnymede series. Funny, entertaining & q quick read. I highly recommend this series to anyone who likes books with southern setting & eccentric, quirky characters! This one is sure to make you laugh out loud!
R.E. Bradshaw
Dec 02, 2010 R.E. Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the series and I loved the characters in both books. I am re-reading all my Rita Mae Brown books currently. This is a wonderful series and a good read the second and third time around.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
Feb 07, 2013 Sandy Pfefferkorn rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Runnymede series about the battling, competitive Hunsenmeir sisters, although chronologically speaking, it should be number 3 because it deals with the life of Julia's daughter Nicole (Nickel) Smith. I liked the book and thought it was the best of the series.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Not in the same leauge as Six for One which was priceless but an entertaining read all the same.
The only thing that bugged me is how Nickel went from architecture (in Six of One) to a newspaper reporter iwth a whole lot of tradition behind it unmentioned previously,
Mark
Jul 07, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
this was laugh out loud funny the first time I read it, which was a few months before it was first published. The second time through, it didn't seem quite as good, but I'm sure that was because in part I sorta remembered what happened.
ReadsinBed
Mar 25, 2014 ReadsinBed rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books... the follow up to Six of One. I think I read this duo at least once a year. Don;t bother with Loose Lips, though.. it is terrible, and was clearly written as an afterthought.
Lindsay (Santafefan)
Jan 21, 2014 Lindsay (Santafefan) rated it really liked it
Delicious! Especially since I grew up with one foot in the Shenandoah Valley in a newspaper family. People there were a lot less....shem..."boisterous" than the two warring sisters, but otherwise it feels very familiar.
Elaine
Mar 12, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two elderly ladies in their 80's, rivals since childhood fight over a newcomer in his 70's. Their shenanigans are watched by the whole town especially on the weekly bingo nights. A gem of a book.
Catherine  Mustread
Apr 20, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it really liked it
Shelves: maryland
Continuation of Six of One focusing on Juts daughter, Nicol "Nickel" and Juts and Louise battle for the love of the new man in town.
Eva Bradshaw-Burnett
Aug 28, 2012 Eva Bradshaw-Burnett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: old-friends
Hilary
Jul 20, 2015 Hilary rated it liked it
This is the sequel to "Six of One", though it can be read as a stand alone book. Personally, I thought "Six of One" was more dynamic but I read this book quickly and was engrossed in the story.
Kurt
Jun 17, 2013 Kurt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much for an adult male in this story. More like a JA fiction for adolescent girls, except for some language and situations.
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2007
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Tracy Sanzo
Tracy Sanzo rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Judith Stevens
Judith Stevens rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2009
Georg
Georg rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2009
Michele A.
Michele A. rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Wayne Spiceland
Wayne Spiceland rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Whitney
Whitney rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2007
Berdawn Hutchinson
Berdawn Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2009
  • Murder by Tradition (Kate Delafield, #4)
  • Painted Moon
  • Wild Abandon
  • Choices
  • Lessons in Murder (Carol Ashton Mysteries, #1)
  • Side by Side
  • New, Improved! Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #3)
  • The Devil Be Damned (Cain Casey, #4)
  • When Dreams Tremble
  • Fresh Tracks
  • Stranded
  • Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • Doc and Fluff: The Dystopian Tale of a Girl and Her Biker
  • The Male Cross-Dresser Support Group
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Runnymede (5 books)
  • Six of One (Runnymede, #1)
  • Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)
  • The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)
  • Cakewalk (Runnymede #5)