Start by marking “Riding Shotgun” as Want to Read:
Riding Shotgun

Riding Shotgun

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  708 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The author of Venus Envy takes you on a riotous ride back to one woman's future...

In a delightful contemporary farce with a riotous twist, Rita Mae Brown welcomes you to Virginia's horse country, where a fox hunt is about to lead a 1990s woman, Cig Blackwood, into a 1690s adventure of the heart.Infidelity, single motherhood, family betrayal, and the thrill of the hunt (in
Published May 1st 1997 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Riding Shotgun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riding Shotgun

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
296th out of 612 books — 1,586 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
249th out of 776 books — 464 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Sep 03, 2007 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rita Mae Brown fans, equestrians
Rita Mae Brown mentions in the Author's Note for Riding Shotgun that she wrote the book during a blackout when she was bored, and feeling weighed down by troubles. She goes on to say that she hopes the book helps readers forget their troubles, even if just for a short while. Mission accomplished.

The book is filled with Brown's usual Elizabeth Bennett types: strong, beautiful, intelligent, independent, ass-kicking women who make men swoon, with some lesbian sensibility for good measure. This one
Sue
In 1699, the Indians were portrayed in a stereotypical manner. The main characters of the past grasped time travel all too easily, when they would have likely cried witch. Very slow moving.
Randi
This is my all time favorite book. I love the time travel element. And Rita Mae Brown is a superb writer. Such a varied writer. Successful with any story she writes!
Pat
Oct 15, 2014 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This was especially good.
Woman travels back in time to 1699 and lives with her ancestors.
Very nicely done.
Interesting story.
Sara
Time travel? Swirling fog? Themes of Forgiveness and too much separation in modern day technological living.
Ick. Predictable and trite.
Annabel
Excellent historical, alternate universe!
Clivemichael
Entertaining well written light read
Crystal Karre
Excellent read. Thought provoking.
Olympia
I probably would of liked this story more, if I had been around horses more, but I've seen horses only when my class goes to the farm on a field trip. Although I enjoyed the parts about going back in time, I think this author made life in 1699 a little to comfortable and easy. An easy read, now going to read something for work so I can be a better teacher ha ha!!
Emily Bailey
Great historical fiction! The story is well-written, telling the story of a woman who goes back in time. Even though I went from liking, to disliking a character, the main character showed me how to enjoy the first character again. I'd read this book once already, but forgotten. The history was great, made me wish I'd gotten the chance to go back in time, too.
Edmund
It's always comforting to spend some time with a Rita Mae Brown creation. If I hadn't been obsessed with "Lost" in recent months, I'm not sure how I would have felt about the time-travel element in this story. But, it worked for me and, even better, it worked well in the story.
Sandi Hall henning
I read this book the year it was published (1996). It was a good summer read. I enjoyed the time-travel element and, of course, the equestrian-theme.

I have tried "Outfoxed" and its counterparts but never really got into them. Perhaps will try again in the future.
Judith
Time Travel

This was “not bad.” It was readable. The nickname given to the main character drove me crazy. “Cig” was named because her middle name was Chesterfield. I hated it through the whole book.
Another book cleaned off the shelf.
Jenna Stewart
Enjoyable historical fiction. Light and fun read. Rita Mae Brown at her best. Topics include: foxhunting, life in America in 1699 and 1995, human relationships/sexual orientation, love, forgiveness, feminine strength, horses and cats.
Bonnie Hudon
More typos that I like but I really enjoyed the book. This is the first book of Ms Brown's that I've read outside of the Mrs Murphy's series. Very interesting story line and a nice easy read.
Lisa
Jul 29, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Lisa by: Salina Public Library
If you like time travel, horses, fox hunting, and women done wrong - this book is for you. Set in Virginia horse country Cig Blackwood is take for a trip on her family heritage thru time.
Nancy
I'm a huge Rita Mae Brown fan; I'm not a fan of fictional time travel -- so, I was torn on this book. As always, RMB writes a compelling tell, I just didn't go in for the premise.
Bonnie
I re-read this for the pleasures of time travel and fox hunting. I may have loved it more the first time but it's still a lovely story with some great descriptions.
Hilary
While out on a fox hunt, the heroine goes back in time to get over the death of her husband and other stuff. Modern times back to 1699 Virginia. Pretty good.
Julia
I loved this book so much that I re-read it all the time! I was lucky enough to receive a signed copy as a gift, so I treasure it :-)
Wendy Lessard
IInteresting to think she started this while snowbound for a few days... love her phrasing and language and sense of humor!
Susan
Always enjoy Rita Mae Brown books. A little mystery, some horsemanship, and in this one - a little time travel.
Suzanne
an 'oldie but goodie' shelf..time travel and horses, what more can one ask? Well written, good story!
Georgene
A non-preaching Rita Mae Brown story! Not a mystery, but modern fiction mixed with historical fiction.
Karen
One of my favorite books of all time! Horses, time travel, family relationships - it's all here!
Isabel
I did not enjoy it at all and was somehow disappointed as I expected better from Rita Mae Brown.
Sue
Mar 16, 2008 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
I'm not typically a fan of time travel books, but this was a nice weekend read.
Rita
i really like this book. The time travel is believeable.
Gerri
This was my first Rita Mae Brown novel, won't be my last!
Mel
I love this book. It's a great read, and a lovely story.
Forgiveness and redemption 2 3 Aug 26, 2012 09:41AM
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Harka (Die Söhne der Großen Bärin #1)
  • Mortal Remains in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #5)
  • That Distant Land: The Collected Stories
  • Traveller
  • Confessions of a Courtesan
  • Blackwater Spirits (Glynis Tryon, #3)
  • Falling Slowly
  • The Firemaster's Mistress (Francis Quoynt #1)
  • Stormland
  • A Regency Holiday
  • The Wanderground: Stories of the Hill Women
  • The Devil in Amber (Lucifer Box, #2)
  • World Without End
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
  • Cat-A-Lyst
  • The Book of the Dead
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...
Rubyfruit Jungle Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3) Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5) Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

“Sorrow is how we learn to love. Your heart isn't breaking. It hurts because it's getting larger. The larger it gets, the more love it holds.” 2746 likes
“Loving's pretty easy. It's letting someone love you that's hard.” 308 likes