Start by marking “Redemption Road” as Want to Read:
Redemption Road

Redemption Road

At the end of Redemption Road stands a tiny school. The building is little more than a pile of rubble on a bald piece of land, but inside, children learn much more than just reading and writing from Mama Grace. They learn about love in a land where it is in short supply.

It is here, in the outskirts of Nairobi, where Lana feels most at home -- as far away as she can get fro
242 pages
Published January 2006 by Covenant Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Redemption Road, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Joseph
Mar 29, 2008 Joseph rated it did not like it
A horrible book that I would rather have burned for cooking fuel than read. I only gave it one star because I can't give it zero.

Here is the thing: incredibly one-dimensional characters that are nothing more than author tools to carry a drummed up, ho-hum plot.

Way too much agenda...why does LDS lit have to be preachy? Where is all the real, authentic LDS lit that isn't cheesy, gift-wrapped and overly church promotional?

Wasted opportunity for real dialogue on Africa and poverty instead of the
Jennie Freestone
This is an amazing book! I pulled this from my mom's books on Monday to pass some time while I was there - and within the first chapter, I was hooked! There are a few aspects in the book of the LDS church, which is close to my heart. It was centered around Africa, which I have a fascination and great love for. And the whole of the story behind everything that happens is about the atonement. Much of the book touched my own heart within how the atonement applies at this particular time in my life. ...more
Irene
Sep 24, 2015 Irene rated it really liked it
It is here, in the outskirts of Nairobi, where Lana feels most at home, as far away as she can get from her Utah Mormon roots. It is also here where her heart is captured by Jomo, a seven-year-old street urchin who will lead her
David
Oct 23, 2010 David rated it really liked it
I learned a significant lesson about how I read books here. If I were a less patient reader, I would have given up on the assumptions I was making about this book, on how sure I was on where the book was headed. My goodness, I'm glad I didn't. What felt like set-ups-for-cliches ultimately were turned upside down. The book does provide some answers, some thrilling and emotional ones, actually. But, it also provides some troubling questions that never do get answered. At times, the symbolism is a ...more
Cami
Jan 30, 2008 Cami rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because the author did a great job of helping you understand the setting and making the reader feel for the characters. It takes place in Nairobi,Africa and discusses the absolute poverty that the people live in. The main character becomes attached to a little boy and at times her passion for saving this one boy is a little bit frustrating, but the author resolves things in a good way. For the most part the story was really compelling and the message of redemption was present ...more
Robyn
Mar 16, 2008 Robyn rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Robyn by: Deseret Book TOFW book club
Shelves: fiction, top-40
I loved this book because: 1) it takes place in Africa and I have the greatest desire to live there among the AFricans, 2) it's about redemption on many levels, 3) it is about teaching children in Africa, 4) it's based on a real orphanage/school there that the author has been to with her children. I dream of taking my children there to love their children, to play with them, to teach them, to bring simple toys & clothes & hugs.
Laurel Wicke
May 07, 2008 Laurel Wicke rated it liked it
Lana can't seem to let go of her past. A disappointment to herself, she can not face her family or her own sense of morality. In an effort to escape, she finds herself living alone in Africa, a land she has grown to love, not only for the strength of its magnificent people, but for truth it forces her to confront. Written from an LDS perspective, it is an intriguing study of repentance and forgiveness, of overcoming and moving on.
Tanya
Jan 21, 2008 Tanya rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about a woman searching for answers and escape. She finds herself far away from her Utah roots in Nairobi where she meets and is touched by Mama Grace, the owner of a tiny school at the end of Redemption Road. Her heart also is captured by a small street urchin named Jomo. A very heartfelt and tear jerking story. Worth reading!
Shauna
Jul 14, 2013 Shauna rated it liked it
As someone who is LDS and worked in Kenya, this book was a must read for me. I liked how it was set up and was really wanting it to go somewhere. I appreciated the Kenyan culture and how truthfully it was represented. The book however I felt was weak. The plot was weak, her obsession with the boy was week and her lack of judgment drove me nuts.
Vickie
Jan 18, 2016 Vickie rated it liked it
Learning about Africa was really interesting. I thought the story was good though I didn't think the character, Lana, was very believable. And finally- usually I can get used to present tense writing (though it's not my favorite) but in this book, it bothered me all the way through. Even so I gave it 3 stars because generally I liked it.
Amanda
May 20, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS women
Recommended to Amanda by: Mom
This is an INCREDIBLE story. The writing is kind of choppy for the first half of the book. I don't know if it got better, or if I just got used to it. It is the story of a girl from Utah that goes to work at a hotel in Africa. It is an amazing story. Keep a box of tissues close though! It makes me want to go on a safari trip to Africa, and adopt a baby from Africa.
Larry
Jan 05, 2009 Larry rated it it was amazing
This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you cry and and angry and joyous and a range of other emotions that you will need to experience for yourself. It made me want to keep my dear ones closer and safer. I am also grateful to live here in the United States.
Micah
Dec 12, 2008 Micah rated it really liked it
I am finding more and more that I will love a book but be unhappy with the ending. I had a hard time getting used to the way she threw in so much about the church because I am not an avid LDS author reader.
Susan
Oct 02, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Distubing! Lana runs from her past, her family, the Church about as far away as she can go--Africa. It takes the extreme poverty, sickness (AIDS), good friends, and a small boy named Jomo to cause such anguish in Lana's soul to finally get her onto the path of REDEMPTION.
Ben
Jan 06, 2009 Ben rated it it was ok
Pretty engaging book, the main character has enough emotional drama in her life to keep the pages turning. Get's a little tough towards the end and realllly drops off in the last few chapters. I think T.S. Brown got tired of writing it and decided to cut it's life short.
Debbie
Dec 20, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it
My daughter and I liked this book. It was interesting to read about people in Africa.
Mary
Aug 25, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching. A good read! Made me stop and think and to be grateful for what I have! It also made me want to take in every homeless child in the world!
Mandy
Jan 31, 2008 Mandy rated it really liked it
This book really touched my heart. Placed in Africa you read about things that are really happening over there. Has a little romance in it too!
Brandy Treguboff
Aug 06, 2007 Brandy Treguboff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Great easy read! Great little story, made you greatful for what you have!
Jill
Jul 16, 2008 Jill rated it liked it
Should really be 3.5 stars. I enjoyed the story and the insight into life in Africa. Characters membership in the LDS Church was also a draw for me to this book.
Marion
Dec 06, 2009 Marion added it
did not finish, LDS story
Evelyn
Aug 19, 2008 Evelyn rated it liked it
It was a nice story, a main character that I could relate to in some ways.
Brenda
Mar 10, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing
A book that will change the way you look at life.
Annabeth
Sep 15, 2010 Annabeth rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.
Brooke
May 09, 2015 Brooke rated it liked it
There are parts of this book I just love - some of Brown's descriptions of places and people are very compelling and beautiful.
Alicia Duffin
Mar 06, 2008 Alicia Duffin rated it liked it
This book is based in Africa and is about a woman running from her past and trying to find herself. She forms a bond with a young African boy and begins to deal with her past.
Ashley
Jun 03, 2008 Ashley rated it really liked it
This was easy reading and I really got into it...couldn't put it down. Towards the end - I thought it got a little repetative.
Evelyn
May 23, 2009 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book from my friend Toni. The compelling story and setting made me feel like I was right there.
Sidney
Jul 15, 2008 Sidney rated it really liked it
I "read" this on CD.There's a lot of deeper meaning here that applies to all of us trying to improve/fix our lives.
Swhe641200