Start by marking “Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)

Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  18 reviews
As a Visiting Nurse in New York City, Sue moves into a supposedly haunted house with Kit, meets "ghost" Marianna and a variety of needy patients, attends Connie's wedding, and breaks her engagement to Bill.
Published January 1st 1938

To ask other readers questions about Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse

Annie
Oct 30, 2007 Annie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nursing enthusiasts, those who enjoy books about professions
This book is really long on descriptions of the everyday lives of nurses in NYC in the 1940s. I mean, down to the brass tacks. The "action" (I use that word under advisement) is periodically sidelined when Nurse Barton and her colleagues provide exposition about nursing procedure. In this book, we learn that nurses carried their own bags with everything they need, but when they enter a home, they must ask for newspaper to provide a "sterile" surface for their instruments.

There are lots of descri
Cera
I honestly can't remember if I finished this one -- I thought I hadn't read it at all, but the details in the reviews look familiar, so maybe I did?

Yes, yes, I did read this. And it was my favourite of the series; yes, the stereotypes of immigrants are cringe-inducing, but Boylston really is trying to portray them sympathetically, so I am a little forgiving.
Maria M. Elmvang
Vassilissa
I liked the Henry Street details. I was particularly interested in how Sue and Kit graciously favoured the inhabitants of Harlem with the benefits of their class and skin colour - and, OK, with Sue's dilemma of marriage versus work. (It makes me *furious* that Connie chose marriage right away versus her dream of being an anaesthesiologist. She would have loved that so much. What a waste.) I thought Sue and Bill's argument was a bit contrived, as if the author was theorising beyond her knowledge ...more
Lizz
Potentially my favorite Sue Barton (I say that with each successive one I read, I know!). With Sue and Kit in NYC, the action is fast-paced. This book is packed with wisdom on child-rearing and handling people. This book shows that just because something was written in the 1930s, it does not mean it follows other conventions of the time. Sue comes into contact with myriad races, religions, and ethnicities all struggling to make ends meet and survive. This book lacks the condenscending tone of ma ...more
Shannon
Yes this book is old-fashioned but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be good!!! I loved this book. I liked all of the descriptions of the different charactors and I loved the little bit of excitement put into parts of the book. Some parts of the book were hilarious and some were sad but overall it was a fantastic book and I give it a 5+.
Deborah
The cover appears to show Sue working in 1970s Birmingham rather than 1930s New York but set that aside, this is a super story. It's not the same without Connie, of course, but Kit and Sue soon adopt Marianne, and there are plenty of entertaining tales of life nursing in the streets of the New York slums.

The book is casually racist, reflecting its era ('You'll just love working with coloured people, they're so willing to learn') so it's also worth reading just to see how we've all moved on since
Trine
As the other Sue Barton books this gives a delightful picture of life as a visiting nurse in New York in the time around WW2. And though a lot of it must be outdated it is still captivating and interesting.
Camilla
Enforced my young dream of becoming a nurse
Kristin
Thanks to Megan H for the recommendation. What an interesting snapshot in time...a visiting nurse in NYC in the 30s. We learn about nursing procedures, neighborhood conditions, cultures, and public health issues...all set against the backdrop of the career-marriage tension experienced by women of this day.

From teaching how to discipline children to facilitating an elderly lady's desire to travel before she dies, Sue Barton does it all. Part social worker, part nurse and part friend, each chapter
Dani
Nov 06, 2009 Dani added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who like vintage pulp and romances
Shelves: part-of-a-series
Blurb: In this installment of the series, Sue Barton has graduated from her nursing program and has been accepted as one of the famous Henry Street nurses in NYC. She loves her job, but will she choose it over marriage to Dr. Bill Barry?

I'm not sure what age group this book was intended for when it was published in 1938, but I imagine that it gave young girls a good idea of what public nursing was about. I know that it drove me to find out more about Lillian Wald and the real Henry Street progra
Rebecca
This is probably one of my favorite of the books. I read some of the comments that complain about the technical aspects of the book and the explanations of nursing procedure (as it was in the '30s, at least). But I found it fascinating, and I enjoyed reading about the difficulties of implementing techniques in places that weren't designed for them. Of course, again, lots of it is outdated (newspapers are sterile? Really? Because I've delivered papers and they are filthy), and some of the things ...more
Shelley
Sue and Kit have finished school and moved to New York to become Henry Street nurses, making the rounds of house visits to help people who can't afford hospitals and many other services/necessities/etc. It's so idealistic, I found myself wanting to become a Henry Street nurse, just to be able to do the good the girls did!!

I loved the glimpses of the neighborhoods and families, from the East Side to Harlem, and seeing what these services (finding friends for Mrs Crasniki, OMG) meant to these peop
Audrey
I think my favorite part of this book was the witty dialogue between Sue and Kit—it was like something out of a fast-talking '30s movie! The mystery angle was pretty fun, too, and I liked how Sue and Kit kept their cool and figured it out.

I loved learning a little more about the Henry Street nurses, and I enjoyed following Sue along to all her cases. There is some racial stereotyping, but the author seems like she is trying to write sympathetically and without prejudice. I think that some of the
Veronica
The problem with this book is the dry-I'm-not-going-to-cry-but-it's-just-so-good feeling you get in the back of your throat - SEVERAL TIMES. I know that's a cheesy review but It's far from a serious read. Love this whole series but I cant give the other 6 books 5 stars like this one. I first read this book at about 13 and most recently received the series for my 27th birthday and still love it!
Ginny Messina
The third in the series, this book finds Sue working for New York City’s Henry Street Settlement in the late 1920s or early ‘30s. Despite it’s appalling ending, I loved this book. It was an intriguing look at life and nursing in the neighborhoods of the Lower East Side and Harlem.
Anne Federwisch
Obviously a quick read, since I finished it in a day.

Not stellar in terms of writing, but an interesting read. It piqued my interest in the Henry Street nurses--more social workers than nurses, it seems, but I guess that's public health nursing. Onto book four!
Astrid Johanne
Piger i gråt er ligeså fantastisk som de to foregående bøger. Jeg bliver i godt humør af at læse piger i gråt, og kunne ikke ligge den fra mig, fordi jeg var så forsybet.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Hazel C.
Hazel C. marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse (Cherry Ames, #5)
  • The Rosary
  • Meet the Malones
  • Vindens navn (Kongedræberkrøniken, #1)
  • Across the Miles: Tales of Correspondence
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
  • Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2)
An only child, Helen Dore Boylston attended Portsmouth public schools and trained as a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. Two days after graduating, she joined the Harvard medical unit that had been formed to serve with the British Army. After the war, she missed the comradeship, intense effort, and mutual dependence of people upon one another when under pressure, and joined the Red Cross to ...more
More about Helen Dore Boylston...
Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1) Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton, #2) Sue Barton, Rural Nurse (Sue Barton, #4) Sue Barton, Staff Nurse (Sue Barton #7) Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)