Start by marking “Loose Lips” as Want to Read:
Loose Lips

Loose Lips

After sending her résumé to the CIA on a whim, New Yorker Selena Keller is contacted by an Agency recruiter, who asks her how she would feel about convincing another human being to commit treason. Despite her checkered past, Selena passes the background investigation and a battery of bizarre aptitude tests. Living under cover as a government budget analyst, she begins her ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Loose Lips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loose Lips

Feb 07, 2014 Flo rated it really liked it
Claire Burlinski has written a clever story of a young woman who decides to join the CIA and the strange and at times weird training she undergoes after being accepted. But why such an intelligent woman would fall in love with a man who is obviously screwed up, I could not understand and one of the mysteries to be faced. There is another mystery which makes this a page turner, but what gave it 4 stars is the female protagonist's wonderful sense of humor. The reason I did not give it five stars? ...more
Jan 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok
The book “Loose Lips” by Claire Berlinski, is an action drama, following the life of Selena Keller and her quest to join the CIA. After falling short at her first attempt at becoming an agent, Selena finds herself grouped in with the other failures. There she meets Stan, a fat, red-haired man who quickly becomes her friend, and significant other. Throughout the book, we follow the story of this pair who wind their way through government secrets, betrayal, and isolation. Although the book was wri ...more
Mar 08, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. It was highly original to me- a inside look at the CIA and its operatives from the female perspective. It's got all the intrigue you'd expect from a book dealing with spies, plus the obligatory romantic subplot. But the romance isn't what you'd expect. The glamorous protagonist, Selena Keller ends up with the unassuming Stan, an overweight, socially inept, minimally successful loner. Their romance begins ideally, but soon sours. The plot is pretty fast pace, but lags towa ...more
Jul 04, 2010 Jen rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2016 Sue rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2003
This story had a lot of potential: CIA trainee learning the business and falling for a fellow trainee. I never believed the love story, though, which made the last half of the book a little bit hard to swallow. I'd like to find another book that dealt with training the CIA.

This book was recommended beach reading by People magazine.
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2003- This is a story about Selena Keller, who on a whim, decides to send her resume to the CIA. What follows is a battery of tests and then finally training, to become a spy. I'm not sure how much of the book is actually based on fact, but I found all Serena's training to be incredibly interesting. Besides being trained, we see Selena fall in love with Stan, another spy in training, or is he? About 75% of the book focused on Selena's job and the other 25% was on her personal life, so I found it ...more
Feb 08, 2016 Christin rated it liked it
A friend bought me this book, thinking it would be like our favorite show "Alias." Yeah, not so much. Less exciting and a lot more betrayal, IMO, and lots of cursing. I'm not a prude, but there's only so much I can take before foul language totally ruins something for me.
Gabby Hummel
Aug 11, 2012 Gabby Hummel rated it it was ok
I found this on a bookshelf at a house in the Cape I was vacationing in. For some reason, I decided to read it. It was a pretty mediocre book; not awful, but certainly not great.

The writing had it's funny moments and it was pretty suspenseful at times, but, overall, the writing was amateurish, the plot line boring and cliche, and the ending predictable. The ending was not happy, but it was not the good kind of sad that shows a good writer (i.e: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green), and, becaus
Feb 20, 2014 Sumos_Mom rated it liked it
This was all cutely wrapped up with brown paper and Valentine's stickers at my local public library for 'blind date with a book' month. A passable blind date. ;)
Jul 30, 2012 Patrick rated it it was ok
Shelves: female-writers
This novel is skillfully written and sometimes funny but in the end -- and perhaps inevitably -- a downer. Berlinski is at least as smart and observant as her main character, Selena Keller, yet her snapshot of life as a CIA case officer-in-training suffers because CIA culture depends unapologetically on manipulation. People deliberately use each other. If you're okay with that (or, more charitably, realistic writing about that), you might like the novel more than I did.

In short, you have to be
Frederick Bingham
Jan 01, 2012 Frederick Bingham rated it really liked it
Selena Keller is a PhD sanskritist who decides to join the CIA. After going through a series of training exercises, she becomes a clandestine agent. However, her affair with another one of the agents leads her into trouble with the CIA's security bureaucracy. A light-hearted book that describes the CIA from the inside. The agency culture is portrayed as a soap opera crossed with a soviet-style bureaucracy. It is hard to tell how realistic a portrait it paints of the agency, but it rings pretty t ...more
Lindsay Joyner
Oct 05, 2015 Lindsay Joyner rated it really liked it
I liked the start of the book but I got bored during the end. Maybe one day I will read the rest.
Sep 19, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Could have been better if not for the horribly ambiguous ending. Woman joins the CIA.
May 01, 2014 Marissa rated it really liked it
very poetic and intriguing.
Katy Reed preston
Oct 16, 2015 Katy Reed preston rated it did not like it
Ugh. Terrible.
Jul 30, 2014 Anna rated it did not like it
What a waste of time!!! I picked up this book because I liked the concept of it.. CIA agent.. how the whole agency works appealed to me.. WOW!!! So disappointed in the story line, in the book in general.. I would not pick up a book by this author again!
Jun 23, 2010 Knucklefish rated it liked it
An interesting look into the training of CIA officers. If all the things they had to go through are accurate, it sounds like one serious undertaking. Berlinski wrote about them in an amusing way due to the commentary of the main character Selena. I would almost say Selena was the weak link of the whole novel. She could be funny and endearingly honest, but she also had shades of selfishness and lack of integrity that made her harder to root for.
Dec 31, 2008 Erin rated it did not like it
Hated it!!!! Completely unbelievable storyline. The descriptions of the CIA were good, but I hated the characters and the author herself is obviously dislikable from some of the things she had her characters think...for example, the white CIA worker who was aggravated at being passed over for promotion by unqualified affirmative action candidates. That's the reality, hon! It happens and people SHOULD be pissed off about it.
Scott E
Aug 10, 2009 Scott E rated it liked it
Doesn't hold up in the long run. However, the details of the CIA training (which is a large portion of the book) are excellent and comlpetely absorbing. Haven't checked to see if this is the start of a series...which I think could easily be sustainable over a number of books. Not bad at all. Rating: 3.6 (but still can't round it up to a 4)
Jun 10, 2010 Nicky rated it it was ok
An odd cross between Gossip Girl and Alias, this book makes CIA training camp seem like a high school prep school with the same kind of juvenile backstabbing and pranks. The plot - what there is of it - completely falls apart in the end, but it's an amusing ride if you skim with the proper discretion.
Shannon Rodriguez
Dec 31, 2013 Shannon Rodriguez rated it did not like it
This was such a terrible book, I had no interest except to learn more about Stan. I literally almost put this book down after a few pages, it got so boring so quickly.
Mar 31, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans and people interested in the CIA
Hilarious, interesting, and one of my all time favorite books of all time. I even wrote the author to tell her how much I liked it, (something I've never done before or after), and she wrote me back the kindest, coolest email. This has to be one of my top 10 books of all time.
Rimoni Peniamina
May 19, 2016 Rimoni Peniamina rated it did not like it
meh. I'm not saying it was a fantastic read nor was it a terrible one. kudos.
Aug 12, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
This book was mainly interested as an insight to what its like to go through training at the CIA. But it lacked a good plot, so if you're really that interested in the life of a case officer, don't wait your time on this particular work of fiction.
LouAnne Johnson
Feb 12, 2012 LouAnne Johnson rated it really liked it
At first, I thought it was going to be light chick-lit, but it turned out to be well-written and engaging. Interesting story, interesting author. I predicted the ending because of heavy foreshadowing, but it was still a good read.
Aug 10, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
I have read dozens of spy novels by the usual suspects, mostly predictable rediculous nonsense with assassins and nazis and nazi assassins with the odd commie thrown in, but this is the most believable. Thanks Mischa!
J. J. Arias
Jun 11, 2012 J. J. Arias rated it liked it
Not quite what I was expecting, but a light, funny and enjoyable read nonetheless. This is not a serious spy novel. However, it does give some insight into what training for the CIA is like.
Magda Gregorski
Sep 11, 2008 Magda Gregorski rated it it was ok
Ok so I found this book in my building, someone threw it away and since the author has Polish last name, I figured I read it. I do not know about this one but I cont. to read it.
Jul 30, 2011 Erica added it
Not sure if the read was worth me tracking down a second copy after I managed to lose the first one, but I couldn't leave it at the point I was at...
Aug 10, 2009 Dee rated it it was ok
Cute. One level above chick lit -- or at least a new twist. Lots of info. about becoming a CIA agent. Plot not really tied up at the end.
  • Normal Girl
  • Bouncing Back: I've Survived Everything... and I Mean Everything...and You Can Too!
  • In Our Time
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Parker: Selected Stories
  • Jen-X: Jenny McCarthy's Open Book
  • Amanda Bright @ Home
  • Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a Chick Lit Novel
  • Rescue Me
  • Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs, and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • Maggie By The Book (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #2)
  • A Private Collection (Private, #1-4)
  • How to Rule the World: A Handbook for the Aspiring Dictator
  • See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • Guide to Troubled Birds
CLAIRE BERLINSKI WAS born in 1968 in California, and grew up in New York, Seattle and California. She received her undergraduate degree in Modern History and her doctorate in International Relations from Balliol College at Oxford University. She has since lived and worked in Britain, Thailand, Laos, France, and Turkey as a journalist, academic, consultant and freelance writer.
More about Claire Berlinski...