Start by marking “The Last Beach Bungalow” as Want to Read:
The Last Beach Bungalow
Preview

The Last Beach Bungalow

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A poignant novel about a woman who survives breast cancer, only to struggle with what comes next: living.

After five cancer-free years, April Newton should be celebrating, but instead she's restless. She feels her husband slipping away, and though the spectacular, stylish house he's building for her should be a fresh start, April finds herself wanting something more. As t
Published February 5th 2008 by Berkley

Holli
A very fast, easy read from author Jennie Nash. The writing is very real and flows well. I enjoyed that and I really liked the premise of this book. I thought that it could have been fleshed out more as I would have enjoyed hearing more about all of the characters introduced and their stories. Every one of them would have been interesting in their own right. It really took me a long time to connect with the narrator and finally after a hundred pages or so I did. Sadly, that's about half way thro ...more
Liz
Jul 05, 2008 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have someone they love struggling through cancer.
I bought this book from the title, thinking it would be more along the lines of "A Year By the Sea" or "An Unfinished Marriage" by Joan Anderson, but fictionalize.

It was actually about a breast cancer survivor, April Newton, trying to find hope. The character April seemed to have prepared herself to die, but didn't prepare herself to survive. She seemed to have disconnected herself from a lot of her life, including her husband and daughter. The book is less about the bungalow the title mentions
Jen
Jul 14, 2008 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama

This story is told by a woman who is a breast cancer survivor. The story revolves around her relationship with her husband Rick and her teenage daughter, Jackie.

Her husband is building them a new huge home, to signify a fresh start to their lives (since she survived the cancer); however, what the woman really wants is a bungalow that is for sale.

The owner of this bungalow, Peg, is going to give away the house in a contest, to whichever bidder gets her attention and who will promise not tear down
A.K. Klemm
I swoon over beaches AND bungalows. Naturally, this book made my day. http://anakalianwhims.wordpress.com/2...
Chelsea
This book was really good. It grabbed me right away. April Newton is at a turning point in her life and she is cancer free after 5 years. She feels her husband slipping away from her and her 15 year old daughter is growing up before her eyes. They are about to move into their dream home and she could care less. This hurts her husband deeply, as he built it for her. Off chance she finds an article that changes her outlook on her life. I wasn't sure if I could read about a woman going through this ...more
Caren
I loved this story! The title may lead you to think it is a "summer" read but it actually takes place in CA at Christmas, and weaves together the tales of young love, a middle-aged couple and a widow who lived her life for more than 50 years. The widow doesn't want to sell her multi-million dollar property to just anyone so she has a literary contest for which the lucky winner only has to pay $300,000 for the house. The main character is also a breast cancer survivor and as a survivor myself it ...more
Mary Markis
I'm neither a cancer survivor, mother, or writer, but strangely, felt so in tune with what she feeling, if not what she was going through. That sense of emptiness, drained hope and the little things in life that fill you back up. Memories, hope, and love... and peace.

Perhaps I just read this book at the right time, but I thank Nash for giving me a companion with shared feelings...even if just for 265 pages.
Phil
This is what I call a light, chick-lit beach read. The story seems to flow along casually, with no real challenges along the way, and the characters, while pleasant, are never truly explored beyond the superficial. There are some touching moments and a few minor setbacks for the main character, but nothing really to sink your teeth into. Pleasant entertainment for a quiet day on the shore.
Drea
This is our book club book for March or would it be April since we aren't discussing it until April 28 - Hmmm? I finished reading this and am now ready for our book club meeting. I have to say I have not experienced anything like the woman in the book but I was a little thrown off by her thoughts and actions. At the same time, it did make me think about how I would react in the situation.
Becky Schulman
A very personal story that definitely resonates. You get to a point sometimes in your life where you wonder is this all there is and you wonder if you have made the right choices. This story provides perspective. It would have been easy for the author to take the expected ending, but the road taken really showed the main character's growth.
Corky
This has to be one of the best books I have read in a long time. Jennie Nash is a breast cancer survivor and has written 2 non-fiction books. This is her first novel. She hits all the right notes for making this a best seller and most likely, the newest in book discussion titles all over the country.
Rachel
One of the things that made this book really interesting for me was the fact that it takes place right here. The stores and street names and descriptions are all so familiar. It was a nice read. There wasn't much action in the book, but it was interesting to read how the characters developed.
Deb Krill
This was a quick easy read, my analogy of it, one woman searching for her mortality after reaching the five year point of a clean breast cancer report, and trying to search for her dreams thru a house. It was a fun read but glad I only paid $2 for it off the bargain shelf at the bookstore.
Care
started this 7/11, the main character really irritated me at times but funny - she was still likable. She was a 'nice' person but we didn't think much alike. She didn't like dogs! Nor did she like dog people. She wouldn't have liked me.
giving to Leslie
jeannine
This was a sweet read. Story takes place right here where I live...seriously, it was cool. The plot development was interesting and I was surprised at how it ended, which is always a treat for me!! :)
Mary
The Beach Reporter plays a featured role.
"I sometimes read it when I walk on the treadmill at the gym, mesmerized by poorly written stories about aging surf legends and health spa openings."
Stephanie
This was a quick read, but I really connected with the main character. It wasn't the deepest book I read, but I felt like I could put myself in her place and really connected with her.
Bookish
It was ok...there were two ways the ending could have gone, and neither would have been surprising. Cute story, and one thing I did like is that the marriage stays together.
Lisa
This book is not really about a house. It's about a woman finding herself after surviving breast cancer. I liked the writing very much; it sounded so real to me.
Kristin Bateman
Aug 29, 2009 Kristin Bateman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gail
Recommended to Kristin by: Care
A quaint novel of a woman trying to reclaim her life after cancer. A bit anti-climactic at the end, but overall this was a quiet, yet quite enjoyable read.
Cynthia W
I really enjoyed this book, up until the end. I turned the page, sure there was another chapter, but no, it just ended with a whimper. Disappointing, frankly.
Patti
Jennie Nash weaves a story like no one else does. You are sucked in from the beginning until you're done and the whole time you hope it will never end
Katlet
Great light reading. Touching family portrait. A look into how it might feel to have survived cancer for five years and the mixed emotions experienced.
Sandy
This book captured my attention so thoroughly that I read it until I could not keep my eyes open anymore and eagerly finished it the next day.
Mich
would def. recommend this book. i really enjoyed reading this book! the other reviews tell about it.. i'[ll just tell you its GOOD!
Jill
I just plain liked this book. The main character is a cancer survivor, but the houses and relationships in the book are the main focus.
Shelby N.
This book was a quick read for me. However, I never really got attached to any of the characters and found it kind of boring.
Rebecca Tutt
Heartfelt book. Really makes you step back and look at your life and what your values really are....
Pmcdnld2
About a breast cancer survivor struggling with herself written by a cancer survivor-sweet and honest.
Linda Johnson
Easy reading, good for vacation. Both dark and gloomy with airy and light components. Reads fast.
  • Keeper and Kid: A Novel
  • My Name Is Sangoel
  • The Widow's Season
  • Firefighter Ted
  • The Legend of Ninja Cowboy Bear
  • A Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure
Jennie Nash first began writing essays as a student at Wellesley College, where she wrote the column “On and Off Campus” for the alumnae magazine. As she worked toward a degree in English, she developed a series of essays about her friendship with her roommate, which she later turned into an honors thesis entitled Two Women in Particular. Ms. Nash graduated cum laude from Wellesley in 1986. After ...more
More about Jennie Nash...
The Only True Genius in the Family The Threadbare Heart Raising a Reader: A Mother's Tale of Desperation and Delight The Victoria's Secret Catalog Never Stops Coming: And Other Lessons I Learned From Breast Cancer Perfect Red