Start by marking “Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The perfect book for inquirers and new members, as well as current Church members who may be unfamiliar with some of the Church s history, beliefs, and practices. This new introduction to the history, polity, spirituality, worship, and outreach of the Episcopal Church is written in an easy-to-read conversational tone, and includes study questions at the end of each chapter ...more
Published December 1st 1999 by Morehouse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to the Episcopal Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to the Episcopal Church

Jana
The amount of historical content isn't significant, but enough for someone like me who knows so little about these things. I was especially intrigued by the Celtic influences on the church, how early they were and the fact that they had female priests as early as the 7th century.

I'm getting quite a lot of information from this slim little book. I'm also learning some things about myself:

1. that I have never really understood Christianity, but have only somewhat understood Protestantism... which
Beth
The book's format indicated that it was aiming to simply the Episcopal Church's complex history, beliefs, and practice; however, having read the whole book, I find it very difficult to remember much of what I've read. I think that if I really want to learn the history of the church I need to not cheat and to read many books covering different periods in detail. If I had more details and stories to latch onto, I would perhaps remember more. I likely also don't remember as much as I would like bec ...more
Jen
One of the pastoral staff at the Episcopal church I'm attending gave me this book. Dry reading, but a good introduction to the history, theology, and current practices of the Episcopal Faith. For a Presbyterian like me considering changing denominations, it gives just the right amount of information. It would be nice if it were a little more engaging (as I mentioned, it's pretty dry) and included some organizational charts, but overall a good source of information.
Charity
Good introduction. I read it because I have heard random good things about the Episcopal Church and wanted to find out a brief version of the whole story. This book was perfect. I think it would be good in a discussion group, but without it, I think its small size allowed me to skim parts without really learning much. I would have liked more on the history part, I guess.
Brandon Stewart
This book provided an excellent introduction to the history, faith, and worship of the Episcopal Church. I realize that is what the title said it would do, and, yes, it really did deliver. A great book, and I would recommend it to anyone who is seeking to learn about the Episcopal Church.
Robert
This book really helped me reconnect with the church. I am one who needs to understand the prayers, the history, etc. of the service. This book helped explain the faith to me. A good and concise guide to the Episcopal church.
Goatville9
This book delivers in providing an introduction to the Episcopal Church. While most who seek out this book will have some background in Christian faith I don't find the need comment on worship, the Bible, ministry, mission, or spirituality.

To me the most interesting element - to a any reader especially fans of history - is how the Anglican Church in America had to evolve after the Revolutionary War. As Americans shed the political ties that bound them to England, a church descended from the Chu
Maya
It is nice to know what you are signing onto. The history, facts, and questions. Much like the rest of this series, it is not necessarily aimed at newcomers- it welcomes all no matter where they are on the journey. It is pretty easy to read and a good springboard for further inquiry.
KATHLEEN MOORE
Welcome to the Episcopal Church

This is all new information to me. I found it enlightening and to the point. Unity, worship and reaching out to mankind were easily understood in drawing people to God.
Merys Kelleher
Pretty much delivers on what it promises. I'm sure that there will be folks who think it doesn't go far enough, just as there are those who feel that there is more information here than they really need. While this book repeats some of the information found in other volumes of the "Welcome to..." series, I personally found it to be a balanced exploration of the qualities and challenges of the Episcopal church, historically as well as in modernity. I was very impressed that the author didn't flin ...more
Andrea
Solid introduction to the Episcopal Church.
Gary
Jan 07, 2014 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Gary by: Pastor
The history of the Episcopal Church helps me because I am not of a Catholic or Anglican/Episcopal background.
I had assume with little knowledge or background of what the Anglican/Episcopal meant- either a Catholic or a Reformed (Protestant), when it was more of a "middle of the road".
I discovered through this book, there is more similarities then differences.

I was in search of a church denomination that accepts and encourages.
This book confirms my choice.
Mac McCormick III
As someone searching for a new church home, I found this book very informative. The Episcopal Church is one I've been curious about and in addition to a visit to a local church, it has helped steer me in that direction.
Lauren
This book made me want to learn more about my spirituality and really practice my religion in daily life.
Theresa
very dry and boring. Hard to get through
Gail
Gail is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ryan Schmittdiel
Ryan Schmittdiel is currently reading it
Mar 24, 2015
Neil Coulter
Neil Coulter marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Erin Listman
Erin Listman marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
James
James is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Book of Common Prayer
  • The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters
  • Secrets of the Code
  • The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition and Reform
  • Can You Drink the Cup?
  • In the Eye of the Storm: Swept to the Center by God
  • The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church
  • Gospel According to Harry Potter: Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker
  • The Unicorn
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • The Joy of Keeping Score: How Scoring the Game Has Influenced and Enhanced the History of Baseball
  • The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time
  • Greek Art and Archaeology
  • The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church
"Priest, poet, and farmer" is the short summary. After many years of ministry in inner city, overseas (Tokyo), suburban, and rural locations I lived for twenty years in the northwest corner of Connecticut. Twenty acres of woods, garden, and orchard provided an excellent balance to writing. There's no better cure for writer's block than splitting some more firewood. Less than two years ago, however ...more
More about Christopher L. Webber...
Welcome to Sunday: An Introduction to Worship in the Episcopal Church Finding Home: Stories of Roman Catholics Entering the Episcopal Church Advent with Evelyn Underhill A User's Guide to the Book of Common Prayer: Morning and Evening Prayer Time to Turn