Start by marking “Writing in Flow” as Want to Read:
Writing in Flow

Writing in Flow

Dr. Perry shows writers how to achieve and maintain a sense of flow -- even when facing writer's block. Throughout this groundbreaking book, more than 75 best-selling writers reveal their techniques for enhancing their writing.
Published May 15th 1999 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Writing in Flow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing in Flow

Sieran
Jan 05, 2011 Sieran rated it it was amazing
Loved this. :D

Haha this was actually a re-read...but I almost forgot everything in here and that was just a library book. But now I get to keep it, yay!!

:D Awesome, I loved many of the little tips and I've destroyed my writer's block at last! If it even exists.

What I loved most about this though, is that there's a good range of very different personalities of writers here. It's really an eye-opener to see that very very drastic number of different approaches--different lifestyles too.

It made m
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Mar 24, 2015 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
The author is obviously intelligent and highly rational, and so her research comes across a thesis done for post-graduate studies. Personally I wasn't able to see how much I could put it into practice in what I do for my own writing in practical terms. It doesn't help me in my own writing journey.
Lin Stepp
May 24, 2014 Lin Stepp rated it really liked it
As an author - and a professor - I enjoyed this book by Dr. Susan Perry. She explains the concept of Flow - "the inspired freedom and creativity achieved when you lose yourself completely in an activity" - like writing and then through the book she suggests ways to help an individual move into flow. It might be a little lengthy and subject-oriented for some … but, of course, as a writer I enjoyed it - identifying with many of Perry's observations and thoughts - and gaining some insights I might ...more
Kasandra
Mar 28, 2011 Kasandra rated it it was ok
If you've read Csikszentmihalyi's "Flow", you might be tempted to read this for more insight. Unfortunately, unless you've never attempted a regular writing practice and experimented with what works for you, this book won't teach you anything. The basic gist: getting to "flow" is different for every writer (never mind the ones who say it never happens to them, doesn't exist, or isn't desirable). If you write, try different things in your routine to see if you can get "flow" to happen more often: ...more
Richard Good
Mar 26, 2012 Richard Good rated it really liked it
I can't imagine there being anything else Susan K. Perry could have said about writing in flow. So much of what she wrote rang true to me, and it was a good feeling to know that some of my quirks are shared with professional writers. It's nice to just feel a little more normal sometimes, even if being normal means relating to an eccentric group of people. From the advice given in this book, I believe I can now relax and let the writing process happen naturally, as opposed to working so hard at w ...more
Fiay
Fiay rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
ETMoore
ETMoore marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Chris Duryea
Chris Duryea marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Nick Senger
Nick Senger is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2016
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Emily Hillard
Emily Hillard marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Ijeoma
Ijeoma marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Marilyn Shi
Marilyn Shi is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Galahad
Galahad marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Joe Adams
Joe Adams rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Shannon Shankland
Shannon Shankland marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Aric
Aric marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Shannon Shankland
Shannon Shankland marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Christine Blacke
Christine Blacke rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Robert M
Robert M marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Roger Hamilton
Roger Hamilton rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Naseem
Naseem marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I was born in Brooklyn but left for California when I was 9 (my parents tore me away from my cousins). Some sharp listeners can still hear a hint of an accent.

After high school, me and my family spent nine months in the Middle East and Europe, which was a life-changing period for me (made me more of a misfit than ever). Then I went to UCLA.

Marriage, kids, back to school, writing, divorce, more w
More about Susan K. Perry...