Start by marking “Consolation for an Exile (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #8)” as Want to Read:
Consolation for an Exile (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #8)

Consolation for an Exile (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona #8)

As political, religious, and familial intrigue once again converge on Girona, danger and deceit infiltrate two very different families--and only the blind Isaac can bring the truth to light.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Consolation for an Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consolation for an Exile

Scilla
Dec 02, 2009 Scilla rated it liked it
This book about a physician, Isaac, takes place in Girona, Spain, in the fourteenth century. Isaac's apprentice, Yusef, is called back to Grenada, where his family who believed him dead have discovered that he is still alive. There are two interwoven plots. One is the story of Yusef's return to his homeland, danger there, and difficult return to Girona. The other is the story of Raimon Forestar, one of Isaac's patients, his family, and his murder. The author holds a PhD in Medieval Studies, so ...more
Diana Sandberg
I picked up this hardcover book for 1/6 the regular price, so I bought it, even though I'd only read the first in the series and this is the eighth. And I suppose I could have put it away until I'd caught up, but I didn't do that. It's good; I didn't find the feeding of necessary background at all annoying, nor was it inadequate. I did feel that the two separate story lines - the mystery surrounding the "foreign" family, and Yusuf's journeys - didn't really mesh well, although each was ...more
Dawn
This is the last book written in this series and I find it a little disappointing as I feel this series was just getting into the swing of things, especially with Yusuf.

I enjoyed the foray into a foreign court, the excessive amount of politics and conspiracy was exciting, the family and shadowy figures along with the escape made for a great middle to the story. The mystery at home in Girona was also exciting with questions going a couple generations back before the answer presents itself.
Frank
Aug 13, 2013 Frank rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I almost gave the book one star as it drug slowly across the middle during what seemed to be an interminable journey for Yusuf to make his way back from Grenada along a dangerous route.

The real problem I think is it is the first book I have read in the series and the characters have surely developed over time. I did enjoy the characters and the setting, but not as much as I am sure I would had thus been the eighth book of Isaac the Physician I read.

Not bad, but slow at times.
Bobbie N
SUMMARY: Yusuf, assistant to Isaac the physician, is summoned home by his cousin, the new Emir of Grenada. As he sets off on his journey, a stranger arrives in Girona, claiming to be the half-brother of Raimon Forestar, one of Isaac’s patients who have been plagued of late by disturbing memories and dreams of his long-forgotten childhood. When Raimon is poisoned, Isaac sets out to find the killer.
Kathy
Jan 31, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
This was the first book by this author I have read. Obviously I did not start at beginning of the series of books revolving around the blind doctor Isaac. I liked this one very much, so I will seek out others. I do seem to pick out my books randomly at the library, but in this case I ended up reading two books in a row that included Cathars, their beliefs and practices and punishment. The book I read previous to this one was Ariana Franklin's A Murderous Procession, another enjoyable read.
Lia
Feb 26, 2015 Lia rated it liked it
I didn't much care for this book. The historical setting was fascinating, but hard to keep up with amidst trying to keep track of all of the characters and their storylines. I wasn't even sure, until at least halfway through the story what exactly the "mystery" was going to be.

I read it for a grad school class on Detective Fiction, and am now required to write a 15+ page paper on it; perhaps, with the research I'll do for the paper, I will come to better appreciate the book.
Susan
Feb 17, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
Interesting for its setting in 14th century Spain, its hero, a blind Jewish doctor, and a number of other appealing characters. Plot elements include the conflicts between Catharism and Catholicism and Moorish and Christian Spain, as well as some very poisonous herbs. Would be a good travel book for a trip to Grenada.
Lisa
Aug 18, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This last book in the Chronicles of Isaac of Girona tells Yusuf's story as well as creating a great mystery going back to the Cathars. Roe has done an excellent job in this series and I highly recommend it to those with an interest in medieval history or just a liking for meaty mysteries.
Roshni
Jun 18, 2015 Roshni rated it really liked it
Caroline Roe is always a pleasure to read. The rich historical detail and the fast-moving plot make this an enjoyable read.
Laura C.
Feb 12, 2010 Laura C. rated it liked it
A good clean read, absolutely nothing objectionable, except that the characters were oddly emotionless. Caroline Roe has a Ph.d in Medieval Studies, so you know the details are right, too.
Lauriero
Lauriero rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2008
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Tania Bilokin
Tania Bilokin rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2014
Lisaann
Lisaann rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2011
Ruthie
Aug 26, 2013 Ruthie rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading about Spain in the Middle Ages.
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Miryam
Miryam rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2009
Joyce Racine
Joyce Racine rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2016
Kay Webb
Kay Webb rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2008
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2008
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle) rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
May 25, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2012
J
J rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Caroline Medora Sale Roe AKA Medora Sale

As Medora Sale, Caroline Roe has written six police procedurals, including an Arthur Ellis Award winner. These books are set in and about Toronto and feature homicide detective John Sanders and architectural photographer Harriet Jeffries. As Caroline Roe, Medora used her PhD research on religious diversity in medieval times to re-create the character of the
More about Caroline Roe...

Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona (8 books)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • Cure For A Charlatan (Isaac Of Girona, #2)
  • An Antidote for Avarice (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #3)
  • Solace for a Sinner (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #4)
  • A Potion for a Widow (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #5)
  • A Draught For A Dead Man (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #6)
  • A Poultice for a Healer (Chronicles of Isaac of Girona, #7)