Start by marking “Six of One (Runnymede, #1)” as Want to Read:
Six of One (Runnymede, #1)

Six of One (Runnymede #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,637 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Perched right on the Mason-Dixon line, tiny Runnymede, Maryland, is ripe with a history almost as colorful as the women who live there—from Celeste Chalfonte, headstrong and aristocratic, who murders for principle and steals her brother’s wife, to Fannie Jump Creighton, who runs a speakeasy right in her own home when hard times come knocking. Then of course, there’re Louis ...more
Published July 6th 1999 by Bantam (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Six of One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six of One

The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
96th out of 612 books — 1,585 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
119th out of 1,081 books — 1,321 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
The Book Report: The life and times of a matriarchal clan made up of a mixture of lesbians, hell-raisers, and goody-two-shoeses in the fictional town of Runnymede that sits smack on the Mason-Dixon line. From 1909 to 1980, Cora Hunsenmeir and her daughters Julia Ellen and Louise live, love, fight, make up, and generally enjoy themselves hugely, often to the detriment of though never at the expense of their fellow-travelers and employers Celeste Chalfonte, Ramelle Bowman, and Fannie Jump Creighto ...more
Lexie
Mary
Great depiction of southern women. I know, I grew up with them.
Chak
Jan 03, 2010 Chak rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like character-driven family-relationship fiction. Helps if you like southernisms.
I picked this book for our January 2009 book club meeting, and thankfully, I ended up loving the book. I hope everyone else in the club does, too. It's exactly what I needed in the midst of the non-fiction stuff I've been reading lately. Six of One was a quick read, had well-crafted characters and I got emotionally involved in the story (started crying on an elliptical machine - thank goodness it was a vacation workout!).

The following passages were notable to me:

p. 86 - "...you... imagine yours
Maureen
I think that this book was supposed to debunk the myth of intolerance of the small town. Thus this small town lovingly embraces sexual diversity, sibling rivalry that slips into violence, infidelity, murder, and more. The characters are all so endearing!! Or not.
Of course I did smile at some of the foolishness, but more often than not I was asking myself, "Really?"
Georgene
I wish that Rita Mae Brown would write more books like this one. I think this one is her best, although I am very fond of her early Sneaky Pie Brown books.

The narrative switches back and forth from the 1920's to the 1980. There is humor, sadness, but above all friendship. I really enjoyed this book, unlike the ones she's written the the last 3-4 years or so.
Mlnpdx
Truly one of my favorite books! It was recommended to me 20 years ago. It was my introduction to Rita Mae Brown's great sense of humor. This book is a wonderful tribute to the strong women in her life. This book is one that I read every couple of years, when I need a quick laugh.
Tatra
This book covers a lifetime and is just amazing. My mom loves Rita Mae Brown and I do have to say that she is an awesome wordsmith.

Now, I chose this for the Wriyers Read Too genre reading challenge as my LGBT book because I wanted something that was light on all of the issues. I have to say that this matched perfectly for what I was looking for. It featured a lesbian couple, had a Bi character as the narrator, and had touches of gay characters. It also had awesome heterosexual characters. In sho
Louise
One of the best books of fiction I've ever read. I go back to it every few years.,. a sign of a truly good book. It should be made into a movie the likes of Steel Magnolias.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
This is the first book in the series about the Hunsenmeir sisters, who live in the town of Runnymede, Pennsylvania/Maryland, right on the Mason-Dixon line. Louise and Julia Ellen (Juts), both born in the early years of the 20th century, are feisty rivals from the day Juts (the younger sister) was born. This first book traces their rivalry from their early years and introduces the reader to the colorful members of their community.

Because I like Brown's Mrs. Murphy cat mysteries, I decided to try
V.T. Davy
This novel made me both laugh out loud and cry. I think the emotional reaction that Brown elicits from the reader is due to her dialogue. She has a fine ear for the Southern (set in Maryland) dialect and turn of phrase. It runs like a seam of gold through the novel and never seems forced or clichéd. The characters are all charming, in their individual ways, with careful dark and light shades. Anyone who has a sister will immediately identify with the exasperation of the siblings Louise and Julia ...more
Kym
One of the funniest books I've ever read. It's just so lovely.
Laurie or Sally Conlin or Kinion
My Favorite Author...great trilogy!
Jane
4 1/2 stars
Trish
Read this for my book group, otherwise I wouldn't have selected it.
It's a series of scenes about a group of mostly female friends and relatives in an American town.
It spans from the second decade of the last century to the 1980's and includes a couple of scenes from both world wars.Interesting to read the American perspective.
The characters are lively and distinct. The scenes are memorable, touching, just hilarious and philosphical.
A feel good book that I can recommend.
Kelly
This book was incredible. I cried for the last 3 hours I was reading it. The relationships and caliber of women in this book are to be aspired to. Somewhat in the line of Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant except way better. Can't wait to read more of this series.
Kathy
Hilarious. I started laughing on page 2 and rarely stopped. The characters really come to life in this book, which is semi-autobiographical. I highly recommend when you need a light-hearted distraction.
Rosemarie
A novel of strong, colorful women in Runnymeade VA in the early 20th century. Though contrived at points, the novel is an authentic and touching portrait of human relationships. In many ways a typical Brown fiction, the people and their lives are worth knowing. This book has two sequels, and I will read them.
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
I'm a sucker for this book, which I reread after a decade and still loved. I picked it up because I wanted a book that would, cheesy as it sounds, fill my heart with inspiration and joy. And of course, lots of laughs as quirky women live life to the fullest in a small town.

"Everything is possible. Pass the word."
Freyja Vanadis
Now this is the kind of vintage Rita Mae Brown I love to read. Other than the fact that almost all of her characters across almost all of her books are exactly the same, her books are funny as hell while throwing in a few serious subjects at the same time. This one is no exception.
Joell
How can you not love Rita Mae Brown? She can be preachy, she can be fussy - but her characters are women you just want to swing on a porch swing with, drink sweet tea and share gossip. Rita Mae loves America, Americans, horses and women. Another good read from Ms. Brown
Nancy Salmons
Loved this series. Read them the first time in my twenties and every decade since. Rita gave voice to strong women when there weren't a lot of authors doing so. The characters are well rounded and anyone with a sister will recognize the strength of that bond.
Carla
couldn't get into this book. i don't prefer "light reads" and felt this reminded me too much of chick lit. maybe if i'd kept at it i'd get into it but i'm following Nancy Pearl's advice, if you're not grabbed by page 50 put it down, too many other books to read...
Betsy
If you want to laugh FIND THIS BOOK as well as it's companion book, Bingo. Two sisters in their seventies and still fighting like they were 8 years old. You will laugh out loud so be prepared: if you are reading this in public, people will be looking at you!
Deborah
Six of One remains one of my favorite reads - and I've read it more the just-a-few times. It sets the reader up for reading any other Rita Mae books. Her articulate, and VERY funny personality shines through in each of her books. Go Read Them All.
Julie
Another fantastic book about women, growing up, oppression, class, culture, and the many variations of love, all set in the south with a cast of characters so real and entertaining you'll swear they are neighbors, or at least wish they were!
Jeanette
I really want to like Rita Mae Brown, but I just cant get into her. This wasnt a bad book, it just isnt one id read again. I like some of the characters, but at parts i was really really bored. Maybe the sequel is better?
Gayle
In my top 5 favorite books of all time! I've read it probably a dozen times, have lent it out to people and not gotten it back, which is a compliment, in my opinion. Either that or my friends are book thieves.
Suzanne
Really wish I could give two ratings for this book, because there was some really good stuff, and then there were whole big areas where it almost seemed like placeholder text, for when she got to the real writing.
Dawn
Again, I just have to say, if you want a book with characters that come alive, choose Rita Mae Brown. Some of her content might be offensive to sensitive minds, but her characters are just so laugh out loud alive!!
500 Great Books B...: Six of One - Rita Mae Brown 1 3 Jul 15, 2014 05:07PM
loose lips and bingo 1 11 Nov 22, 2008 05:26AM
  • Aquamarine
  • The Revolution of Little Girls
  • The Complete Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • Daughters of a Coral Dawn
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Choices
  • Back to Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #4-6)
  • Distant Shores, Silent Thunder (Provincetown Tales, #3)
  • Desert of the Heart
  • Painted Moon
  • Patience & Sarah
  • Artist's Dream
  • Odd Girl Out
  • The Diary of Alice James
  • Stud Rites
  • The Butcher's Wife
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Runnymede (4 books)
  • Bingo (Runnymede, #2)
  • Loose Lips (Runnymede, #3)
  • The Sand Castle (Runnymede, #4)
Rubyfruit Jungle Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1) Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3) Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5) Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)

“High heels were invented by a woman who had once been kissed on the forehead.” 13 likes
“Put your money in your head, that way no one can take it from you.” 10 likes