Start by marking “The Young Wan” as Want to Read:
The Young Wan

The Young Wan (Agnes Browne 0.5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,037 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Before she was a Mammy, before she had Chisellers, and before they made her a Granny, Agnes Browne was Agnes Reddin, a young girl-or a Young Wan- growing up in the Jarro in Dublin.Brendan O'Carroll takes readers back to the heart of working-class Dublin, this time in the 1940s. Together with her soon to be lifelong best friend Marion Delany, young Agnes manages to survive ...more
Published January 27th 2004 by Plume (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Wan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Wan

Cynthia
Jul 29, 2008 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cynthia by: Marla
(page 24) "She had watched her sisters over the years, each one trying to be more beautiful than the others, constantly dressing up and appearing at social events looking like a gardener's exhibit. The sole purpose of which seemed to be to capture a man just like their father and then become invisible just like their mother."
Isn't that last line just haunting?
Kiwi
Quick and easy read, still funny and heart-warming but the profanities (view spoiler) were unnecessary IMO. Agnes parents love story was also too fairy-tale and predictable. For these reasons, I enjoyed this prequel less than The Granny. 2.5 stars
Marialuisa Miceli
Su consiglio di un'amica, che aveva letto l'intera saga, ho deciso, seppur controtendenza, di cominciare questa storia proprio dalle origini della protagonista.
Eccomi quindi, alle prese con Agnes Browne ragazza come prequel della saga omonima.
La narrazione delle avventure di Costance Parker, alle prese con un ragazzino Bosco Browne, sorprendono sin da subito e creano quell'alone di magia, tipica delle storie comuni, con donne eccezionali nella loro normalità.
La protagonista, infatti, si disting
Chiara Tinelli
Apr 15, 2016 Chiara Tinelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agnes Browne ragazza è uno di quei libri che valgono il prezzo di copertina: a pochi euro, in realtà, si acquistano ben due romanzi in un solo volume. La storia inizia nel 1954, la mattina del giorno del matrimonio della protagonista, ma ben presto una serie di flashback ci riporta fino al 1921, anno in cui Connie, la madre di Agnes, incontra per la prima volta, in circostanze rocambolesche e drammatiche, Bosco, suo futuro marito e padre delle sue figlie. Si dipana subito una storia d'amore invo ...more
Ava Black
Dec 30, 2013 Ava Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo e' il primo romanzo della serie dedicata ad Agnes Brown, anzi, per essere corretti, e' un prequel. Ne avevo sentito parlare qui su GR, cosi', quando l'ho visto in biblioteca, l'ho preso anche se dista dai generi che sono solita leggere.
Ebbene, questo libro e' un biglietto di sola andata per l'Irlanda di qualche decennio fa, soprattutto per chi, come me, non vi ha mai messo piede. Insieme ad Agnes, ci ritroviamo nel Jarro, a Dublino. Questo e' romanzo corale: Agnes dovrebbe esserne la prot
Lynn Baden
May 13, 2012 Lynn Baden rated it really liked it

This book is the prequel to The Mammy, The Chisellers and The Granny which I read eons ago. It is about Agnes Browne before she got married - Agnes Reddin.

Agnes' mother was the daughter of the foundry owner. She was kind to the employees and learned all their names and the like. She worked in accounts and helped hand out their pay.

Agnes' dad worked in the foundry and was a union leader. How they get together is one of the great stories in the book so I won't spoil it for you.

They have 2 little g
Lisa Wilson
Jun 22, 2012 Lisa Wilson rated it it was amazing
In this prequel to the Agnes Brown series, author Brendan O'Carroll hits another homerun! This book is every bit as entertaining and inspiring as the previous three. I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions. It was so nice to finally get a bit of the back story on the friendship between Agnes and Marion Monks, her lifelong friend. Even though these novels are relatively short, O'Carrol manages to develop the characters and their relationships to the extent that the reader becomes in ...more
John Martin
Dec 15, 2014 John Martin rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It painted a world in Ireland a few generations ago I could imagine, and it had the right mix of light and dark for me. Sad moments, laugh out loud moments. It sagged a little for me in the middle but the beginning set the scene well and I thought the ending was a strong one.
Diana
Un libro bellissimo, ironico, dolce, difficile, a volte duro...
Ë la storia di una famiglia che si trova a "nascere" tra mille difficoltà, ma che le sa affrontare anche quando potrebbero abbatterla.
Ë la storia di un grande amore, di battaglie per i propri diritti, di una ragazza che deve crescere troppo in fretta, di una nazione che fatica a trovare tranquillità e pace, ma nella quale i cittadini sanno continuare a sorridere e vivere insieme.
Ë la storia di una ragazza straordinaria e di un'ami
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The publication data says this volume of "Mrs Browne" was published some years after "The Mammy" and yet it reads like a first attempt. The first few chapters jump back and forth in time from one set of characters to another, in a jerky, unsuccessful attempt to cover all the backstory at once. The foreshadowing in the book is clunky and obvious, and the writing doesn't seem to really hit its stride until almost halfway through. I honestly thought O'Carroll had written this one first. It's possib ...more
Tomi-Ann
This is apparently the last-written of a series that I will now read the rest of. But this one goes back in time to tell us of how Agnes Browne gets born and lives her early childhood in the slum in north Dublin. It's a charming read. I look foward to The Mammy next. And then I'm going to watch Angelica Huston's movie "Agnes Browne."
Piperitapitta
Oct 24, 2014 Piperitapitta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, non roba da polvere di stelle, da testa fra le nuvole, da fate in fondo al giardino. Ma per Dio, s! Nel Jarro ce n' eccome, di magia.

Per questa volta, al quarto libro in compagnia di Agnes e della sua famiglia - questo un prequel, quindi niente marmocchi, questa la storia di Agnes, da quando era bambina fino al giorno del matrimonio - questa volta, temo proprio che sia finita.

Da leggere, soprattutto per l'introduzione di Brendan O' Carroll, raramente mi capitato di leggerne una cos bella
'mary
May 20, 2008 'mary rated it really liked it
Recommended to 'mary by: Lauren & Ellen
A Riot! How funny that O'Carroll ran out of stories for the original family, he had to retrace just to keep us entertained with Agnes. As if it was an after thought. Funny just the same.
Krista
Aug 28, 2008 Krista rated it liked it
Recommended to Krista by: Shelley
This is a charming, easy read. Not as humorous as the Browne family triology, but good dialogue and an informative view into Irish life in the 19th century.
Maureen
Jul 15, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing
This is MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!!! I absolutely loved it!!!!
It was fun surprising and a great read!!!!! You all should get it what fun!!!!!!!
Chris
Jan 07, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I couldn't put it down. There are 3 more books in the series that I can't wait to read!
Bernadette
Jul 03, 2008 Bernadette rated it really liked it
Not as good as the other 2, but still a fun listen. Want to listen/read the other ones in this series.
Shui
Sep 23, 2008 Shui rated it really liked it
Heard this on audio. Hilarious,gritty and laugh out loud.Marion is THE bes!!
Shannon
Mar 11, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This book was great. Absolutely hysterical and moving as well.
Marla Glenn
Sep 09, 2007 Marla Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: O'Carroll fans
I loved this one the most.
Ellen
Jan 23, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
The prequel to the Agnes Browne trilogy begins with the strange courtship of Agnes' parents, Constance Parker-Willis and Bosco Reddin. Connie was the daughter of the affluent owner of the local foundry where she worked in the accounts office. Bosco was a foundry work er and a leader of the union movement adamantly opposed by Mr. Parker-Willis. Connie told her parents she and Bosco were to be married soon but somehow she had failed to inform the groom of his upcoming nuptials. When her father tri ...more
Kitty Jay
Dec 27, 2014 Kitty Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Young Wan is a prequel to O'Carroll's lauded Agnes Browne trilogy and tells the story of Agnes Browne before she was the mammy. It follows the story of her parents meeting and falling in love, not necessarily in that order, the moment that cemented Agnes's bond with her best friend, Marion, and her wedding day. All through it is the same bond of laughter and love that characterizes O'Carroll's writing, and Agnes Browne is both loving, kind, rebellious, and independent. We see where she gets ...more
Maggie
Aug 04, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-books
This book is the prequel to the Agnes Browne trilogy, which I guess means it isn't a trilogy, but a series of four. Or maybe the author means it to be separate from the others in some way, I really don't know. Anyway, I liked it. It was nice to see how Agnes Browne became who she is. Or was. Or whatever. The story starts with her parents meeting and goes up until Agnes gets married to Redser, who you never really get to know much about. He plays a small, but important, part of this book, and of ...more
Roberta
Jun 19, 2015 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, uk
Ultimo capitolo delle avventure di Agnes Browne, che a lungo mi (ci) ha tenuto compagnia (fin dal 2009, per quel che mi riguarda!) Per me il migliore in assoluto rimane I marmocchi di Agnes, mentre The Granny (l'unico che ho letto in lingua originale) si è guadagnato solo tre stelline, anche se - onestamente - non ricordo bene il perchè.

Le avventure di Agnes (accompagnata dall'irresistibile amica Marion) sono davvero divertenti (a dire al vero spesso anche strappalacrime) ma non mi ha convinto c
Tara Lynn
Jun 30, 2009 Tara Lynn rated it it was amazing
I've lent these books by Brendan O'Carroll to everyone I can think of. They're beautiful books, and have such a sincere, sweet tone.

From wiki:

Brendan O'Carroll is a comedian, writer, actor and director from Finglas, Dublin, Ireland.

O'Carroll has written six novels, including The Mammy, The Chisslers, The Granny and The Young Wan; a number of these have become best sellers and have been published in other languages.[citation needed:]

He has also written four films and seven stage plays.[citation
Lisetta
Sep 01, 2012 Lisetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aim purtroppo ( ma anche per fortuna),con questo libro termina la saga familiare che vede come protagonista la mitica, Agnes.

Ogni volta che mi accingevo ad intraprendere la lettura, di uno dei quattro libri di questa saga, partivo sempre prevenuta. Convinta che lautore avesse trovato la strada del successo, assicurato dal primo libro, e dunque che ogni nuova uscita fosse determinata dalla ripetizione di luoghi ed eventi.

Invece puntualmente, mi sono dovuta ricredere. Ogni parte della storia un b
Mollie
Jan 31, 2016 Mollie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yes, this author is correct...there is magic. I loved this book. I think I went through almost every possible emotion while I was reading it. I laughed out loud and cried hard. I was worried how I would do with this book since I read the other Agnes Browne novels so long ago, but since this story precedes those, it didn't matter. The characters were wonderful and the author did an excellent job of telling the story compassionately without being trite or sappy. Overall, it was excellent!
Kimberly Ann
This is the prequel to The Mammy (Agnes Browne).

It was not as funny but still humorous, heartwarming, heart wrenching & heroic....and we now know Agnes' history.

This is a very good read, so much so that I read it in one night.... I am glad that I did not read this first, or I might not have read The Mammy or The Granny. Due to the sadness in this book, I think I can now read The Chiselers.
Crisadmaiora
Oct 04, 2013 Crisadmaiora rated it really liked it
There are books that make you think a lot, books that seem to talk to you and answer to your wonders, books that are difficult and profound and for which you feel a sort of respect as if they were wise mentors... And then there are books like this. So light and yet so comforting. LIke a hot chocolate cup in a coldest day, like a warm cat purring on your lap when you feel completely lonely....A book that warms you heart, makes you laugh so much and feel in peace with the world again.
After reading
Margherita Dolcevita
Non è che non sia bello, è che rispetto ai tre precedenti questo quarto capitolo, un cosiddetto prequel, è nettamente inferiore. Certo, alcuni spunti divertenti ci sono, grazie soprattutto a Marion, ma il romanzo fatica a decollare. Personalmente poi non sentivo lo spasmodico bisogno di sapere certe cose della vita di Agnes, men che meno dei suoi genitori, non mi sono mai posta certi "Chissà come...?" durante la lettura dei precedenti tre volumi: in effetti le uniche parti interessanti della vit ...more
The conclusion of A Young Wan 1 2 Oct 03, 2015 09:20AM
  • The Deportees and Other Stories
  • Inishowen
  • A Skull in Connemara - Acting Edition
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
  • Stones of Aran: Pilgrimage (Stones of Aran #1)
  • A Field Guide to Irish Fairies
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • Set in Stone
  • The Book Stops Here (Mobile Library Mystery, #3)
  • Aches & Pains
  • God's Mountain
  • The Speckled People: A Memoir of a Half-Irish Childhood
  • Benny and Omar
  • Sola come un gambo di sedano
  • Athena (The Freddie Montgomery Trilogy, #3)
  • Acqua in bocca
  • The Bodhran Makers
  • Il giorno del lupo
Brendan O'Carroll is an Irish BAFTA-winning writer, producer, comedian, author, actor and director. A popular comedian in Ireland since the early 1990s, O'Carroll is best known internationally for portraying the foul-mouthed Irish matriarch Agnes Brown in Mrs. Brown's Boys. O'Carroll has written seven novels, including The Mammy (1994), The Chisellers (1995), The Granny (1996), The Scrapper (origi ...more
More about Brendan O'Carroll...

Agnes Browne (5 books)
  • The Mammy
  • The Chisellers
  • The Granny
  • Agnes Browne: Agnes Browne mamma; I marmocchi di Agnes; Agnes Browne nonna; Agnes Browne ragazza (Agnes Browne, #0.5-3)