Start by marking “In Maremma: Life and a House in Southern Tuscany” as Want to Read:
In Maremma: Life and a House in Southern Tuscany

In Maremma: Life and a House in Southern Tuscany

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In 1997 David Leavitt and Mark Mitchell bought a house in southern Tuscany: not a villa but a dilapidated farmhouse dating from the late 1950s and abandoned for more than twenty years. In Maremma recounts their restoration of the house, as well as the gradual process by which two Americans became initiated into a part of Italy -- and a part of Italian life -- that foreigne ...more
Published May 29th 2001 by Counterpoint LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about In Maremma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Maremma

Luisa
Mar 27, 2015 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Nice essays from an American couple who moved to Italy. There are some really lovely passages, and the authors are clearly very skilled. There were just two aspects that made me give it three stars instead of four: Initially, I didn't understand that they were essays rather than one continuous narrative, so that threw me off a bit. Once I realized that, I enjoyed the book more, but it did leave me with a feeling of vague confusion. In addition, because the book is co-authored, there are a few ch ...more
Morgan Bruyneel
Dec 19, 2015 Morgan Bruyneel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Een boek over je helemaal uit de drukke stad terugtrekken en in de natuur gaan leven op onbezoedeld Italiaans platteland. Wie droomt er niet van? Ik niet meer in elk geval. Hoe geweldig het ook moet zijn om die droom waar te maken, het hele relaas op papier zetten, levert niet noodzakelijk een goed verhaal.
John
Jun 26, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read anything by Leavitt before, but I like travel narrative (including expat memoir), so thought I'd try this one. He writes very well, though not sure if I'd rush to read any fiction of his; their acceptance as a gay couple a generation ago was a plus to hear about.
Carole Dailey
Jan 22, 2016 Carole Dailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice flow - could be a guide book on how to move to Tuscany, renovate a 'barn' into a home with local expertise, learn a new culture and discover a new world - only encouraged my fanatsy - Salute' Italia!!!!!!
Cerealflakes
I will be generous and give this three stars. This is a book of mini essays (usually 2-4 pages) about the authors' lives in their house in Tuscany. Unlike many of these Italy memoir books, they devote little time to house reconstruction. Most of these essays are about their impressions of Italians' behaviors. There was some interesting information here, but not much on things to see or do in Italy. I am not really sure what the point of the book is.
Leavitt is a graduate of Yale University and a professor at the University of Florida, where he is the co-director of the creative writing program. He is also the editor of Subtropics magazine, The University of Florida's literary review.

Leavitt, who is openly gay, has frequently explored gay issues in his work. He divides his time between Florida and Tuscany, Italy.
More about David Leavitt...