Start by marking “Almost Too Late” as Want to Read:
Almost Too Late

Almost Too Late

Account of a family shipwrecked off Dall Island, Alaska in February, 1979 and their survival until rescued one month later.
Published June 1st 1983 by Berkley (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Too Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Too Late

Virginia Welch
Mar 05, 2013 Virginia Welch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True story of a father and his three teenage children shipwrecked off the coast of Alaska in winter, 1981. It has a happy ending but it sure was painful to travel with this family. Not sure why I liked this book so much. I've had it on my library shelf for years. It's simply written and at times it's almost painful to observe the errors this man made in the care of his children, such as when he took them out into waters off the Alaska coastline in the middle of winter without an emergency radio. ...more
Quinn
Aug 09, 2012 Quinn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find it interesting that I grew up next door to Randy Wortman and never knew that there had been a book written about his ordeal until it was assigned to me in my freshman literature class in high school. Their struggle is a true depiction of the wildness of the Alaskan outdoors that we call our backyard.
Corey
When I was a kid, I saw a Made-for-TV movie called "Anything to Survive" and I don't know why but it fascinated me and my family. Years later we happened across it again on TV and were again reminded of the movie we liked more than any other TV movie we'd ever seen. After reading The Raft I was reminded of this movie and searched for it online and discovered that "Anything to Survive" was based on a book about the actual event. I'd had no idea it was based on a real story so I was pretty excited ...more
Karrie
Feb 22, 2012 Karrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is about my friend Jena. Her husband and my husband were in stationed in the Coast Guard together in Florence, Oregon.
Mom
May 26, 2009 Mom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never go out in a boat in bad weather. The father drove me crazy. True story.
Momo
Jan 08, 2017 Momo rated it really liked it
Amazing story. May be out of print which is too bad. This family lived one hard adventure
Joel Horn
Feb 21, 2014 Joel Horn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago and it has stuck with me ever since. For a long time I hated Elmo for what I thought he did wrong to his daughters but as I grew and understood life more I realized he did a masters job of just telling the story as it stood with all human failings. The children and him went through a really rough adventure that I am sure made them into stronger people. As a new author of a story in the same genre I can appreciate deeply the story he told.
Cris
Apr 23, 2014 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I seem to be in the mood for survival stories lately and this one did not disappoint. An amazing story told told exceedingly well by a non-author, Elmo Wortman. Not only was their true life adventure gripping in its unfolding, but the family's unconventional lifestyle was intriguing. Highly recommend.
Lisa Vegan
Aug 05, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of adventure & family stories
I loved this book when I read it years ago. It was exciting, suspenseful, and I really cared about the people as I was reading it. It’s the true story of a father and his 3 teenage children, residents of Alaska, who take their boat to get supplies and get stranded in the wilderness in the snow, and their efforts to survive. Written by the father.
Kathryn
Mar 20, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a true story I NEVER want to live through.

I read this YEARS ago because my dad wanted me to. It's about a family who goes out one day in Alaska, and have an accident. They end up spending several days in sub-zero temperatures, and them desperately trying to survive.

Great story about the will and desire to live, and how far you will go stay alive.
Kim
Feb 26, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down! Read it in one day. Was a super anxious, edge-of-your-seat read. Played into my darkest fears of being eaten up by the ocean.
Leila
Mar 20, 2009 Leila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING - survival endeavors unparalleled - could NOT put it down once I began reading - dispells the theory 'survial of the fitest'.
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Audrey Grant
Audrey Grant rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2010
Macy
Macy rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Kathy Crenshaw
Kathy Crenshaw rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Marcel Gagnon
Jun 11, 2012 Marcel Gagnon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent
Michaela Larsen
Michaela Larsen rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Peter Pan
Peter Pan rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Mhurdel
Mhurdel rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Sandra Lassiter
Sandra Lassiter rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Sunnyjoe
Sunnyjoe rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Roberta
Roberta rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2007
Tom Gauthier
Tom Gauthier rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Rik
Rik rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Bonniepianogirl
Bonniepianogirl rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Survive the Savage Sea
  • The Island Keeper
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Doll Parts
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • The Long Winter
  • Dark Advent
  • No Exit (The Big Empty, #4)
  • The Kill Crew
  • Fly Away
  • The Rage Plague
  • I'm Eve
  • The Kiln (Fire-us, #3)
  • 117 Days Adrift
  • As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me: The Extraordinary True Story of One Man's Escape from a Siberian Labour Camp and His 3-Year Trek to Freedom
  • Vanishing Point