Smelly Bill

Smelly Bill

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Bill the dog loved smelly things, like muddy ponds and rubbish bins, but will the arrival of Great Aunt Bleach put an end to his smelly ways or will Bill live to stink another day?
Published April 1st 2007 by NorthSouth

To ask other readers questions about Smelly Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smelly Bill

Heather
The rhyme scheme doesn't really work for me, like on the first page where "things" is meant to rhyme with "bins"?! Does that maybe work in British English? Because in American English, it feels awkward. Despite some of the poor rhymes and rhythms, the pictures are fabulous. In fact, they make the book rather great. I love the one where the great aunt is swinging down to the trash, bloomers showing, and the one where she is holding her filthy arms out for a hug. Clever illustrations, I just wish...more
Heather
I have been a patron of the library in my hometown from the time I was born. My son spent many hours there searching for fun books to take home and now each Thursday I take my nephew and niece to the wonderful 100 year old building to check out books of their own.
Since I am usually the one who reads the books once we get back to the house I like to search through the shelves in the kid's section and check out some children's books that I might enjoy in the process.
Last week I picked up a book w...more
Sandi Roe
I didn't care for the beginning when Peach's owner was mean to Bill and told him her dog Peach was too good for him. She later finds that pedigree does not equal worth. Bill proves he has more heart than any pure breed at the dog show. The kids at story time seemed to like this book.
Carolyn Hart
Oh yuk, Smelly Bill is one mucky dog. He loves to roll in mud and rubbish. He steadfastly resists his family’s attempts to de-reek him! When Great Aunt Bleach arrives, she brings her disinfectant and scrub brush. Before long the house is sparkling from top to uh-oh – what is that smell? After a merry chase, Bill endures his bathie-wathie, and makes a mess of poor Great Aunt Bleach.

With wonderful rhyming text and fun illustrations, Smelly Bill will be enjoyed by children of all ages.

Included in...more
Cordellya Smith
Children love the antics of this smelly dog as he tries to avoid his bathee wathee from Aunt Bleach.
Brooke
I thought this book was only okay, but the story timers seemed to like it pretty well.
Mandy Scheuren
Smelly Bill has a smelly problem, he loves to roll in garbage and avoid the family’s attempt to give him a bath. Bill will do anything to avoid water and any form of getting clean. The family despair until they go on an outing, leaving Bill with someone who has HIM despairing before long, Great Aunt Bleach. The battle is on between the clean loving Bleach and the very smelly Bill! This outrageous, far-fetched tale will keep you from putting the book down! Postage does an excellent job keeping th...more
Amanda Osborne
Absolutely adorable and a must-read for any mutt lovers.
Wyshona D. Lawson
This was a cute little book.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Be prepared to laugh out loud at this stinky pooch! Smelly Bill is smart, witty, and tons of fun.

The writing is fast paced and illustrative, while the pictures are unique and fun. There are just the right number of words on each page to make reading it enjoyable and interesting.

Author and illustrator, Daniel Postgate, really hit a home run on this one! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone with a young child.
Books for Kids
Susan
Literacy skills:

Phonological sensitivity-this book is full of rhymes that kids will find funny "Because of this he had a bleak and really quite unpleasant reek". These rhymes will build phonological sensitivity and the funny pictures will encourage print motivation.
Kelly
Illustrated by the author. With great rhyming and a surprising twist at the end, this is sure to be a hit at storytime. The illustrations are great too as the reader can really see just HOW stinky Bill must be. I really liked it quite a bit.
Okay, this was just a cute kids book--funny illustrations and the rhyme was well done. "Aunt Bleach" is dog-sitting and tries to get the dog to take a bath. Anyway, just a cute little picture book.
Tuckleton
You don't get more classic of a kids story than this. Full of rhymes, silliness and dirt!

I may be biased as this was the first book my son ever responded to. I have yet to return it to the library.
Lori Pollitt
This is a fun and tricky read. With the way the book rhymes, it was a little difficult for my beginner reader. However, when I read it allowed, the kids really enjoyed it!
Katherine
Aug 06, 2008 Katherine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katherine by: http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/
What a riot! The verse narrative is fantastic. I come away wanting more Smelly Bill-- maybe I want to get inside Smelly Bill's head, but I expect it would stink.
Savannah
Rhyming story of a smelly dog that tries to avoid getting a bath at all cost. Good to use when building word families and working on phonemic awareness.
Suzanne
I love Smelly Bill. This dirty old dog sure gives Aunt Bleach a run for her money. Super cute. The kids LOVE this book.
Boni
This was a really fun book, but a few too many poor rhymes for my taste (maybe because the author is British? Not sure...)
Tricia
Cute concept of smelly dog meets cleanfreak aunt bleach. Fun readaloud...with ending that pleases the audience.
Eileen
Aunt Bleach visits to take care of Smelly Bill in this cute rhyming book.
Linda Atkinson
Aunt Bleach may have met her match! My kind of picture book!
Marilyn Lorenz
A wonderful book. Kids love it! The illustrations are fun!
Alida
It's a kid's book about a doggie. Need I say more?
Peacegal
I read this aloud to a smelly Bill I know.
Kate
A fun rhyming story about a smelly dog.
Lucia
Hilarious and kids love the humour.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
do the different formats have different content 1 1 Dec 28, 2013 08:00AM
Engelbert Sneem and His Dream Vacuum Machine The Hairy Toe (Read and Share) The Snagglegrollop Love Stinks Smelly Bill Stinks Again