Start by marking “Place of the Pretend People: Gifts from a Yup'ik E” as Want to Read:
Place of the Pretend People: Gifts from a Yup'ik E

Place of the Pretend People: Gifts from a Yup'ik E

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This stunning narrative written by a teacher of the Yup'ik Eskimo village of Tununak "is a memoir worth reading, " reports the "Anchorage Daily News."
Published September 1st 1996 by Alaska Northwest Books

To ask other readers questions about Place of the Pretend People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Place of the Pretend People

Apr 07, 2014 Ms.Kalick added it
Shelves: abandoned
I had a hard time reading this because of my own experiences as a teacher. Parts were very interesting, but ultimately I couldn't get into the narrative. I suppose I carry too much teacher baggage with me. I think it would be a good choice for someone interested in education but not totally and utterly enmeshed in it. I am also particularly into imaginative fiction so I suppose that is another bias I carry.
Katrina Dreamer
I absolutely love the mind and prose of Carolyn Kremers. This is the only book she's published so far; too bad, because I would read anything she's written. The book was delicious in its descriptions and I appreciated the immense heart she put into telling the story of the people she encountered in Alaska.
Kremers writes mostly about her wilderness treks and teaching, she respectfully tells about her experience living in a small Yup'ik village.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Amy L
Amy L is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
T. Louise
T. Louise marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Geoff added it
Oct 21, 2014
Tasmia H.
Tasmia H. marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Elena Bodfish
Elena Bodfish marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Megan Jones
Megan Jones marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2012
Marija marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2012