Start by marking “Regency House Party: Companion to the PBS Series” as Want to Read:
Regency House Party: Companion to the PBS Series

Regency House Party: Companion to the PBS Series

Tying in with the 8-part prime time Channel 4 series, Regency House Party follows 5 men and 5 women as they meet, flirt, and court within the same strict protocols as Jane Austen's heroes and heroines. Each chapterfocuses on a particular character or couple, and the houseguests take part in popular pastimes of the era, such as attending a public dissection, amateur dramati ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Little, Brown Book Group

To ask other readers questions about Regency House Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Regency House Party

Sara Lou
Oct 26, 2007 Sara Lou rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyoen who loves Jane Austen and the regency Period
I'm currently still reading through this book, but it s very interesting. Its written to accompany the tv programme, 'Regency House'. I didn't see the TV show myself but it didn't stop me picking the book up at a bargain bookstore and I love it.

As well as giving a short introduction of the people taking part in the experiment of putting modern people into the Regency period, it gives some great details into the Regency times.

Not so much a history book, it goes into the ways of society and the ro
Samantha
Aug 14, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Synopsis: Tying-in with the 4-part primetime PBS series airing in November 2004, Regency House Party will follow 5 men and 5 women as they meet, flirt and court within the same strict protocols as Jane Austen's heroes and heroines, e.g. all women must be chaperoned, a woman should never encourage a man, a man should never touch a young lady, etc. Each participant will be designated a role and an income, which will dictate their social standingalthough at any point this could change and one of th ...more
Katherine
Jan 14, 2010 Katherine rated it liked it
I really hoped for more insight into the lives and experiences of the participants in the TV show, but was disappointed -- although the pictures were absolutely gorgeous and it was definitely entertaining. I felt it could have been longer, and a bit more personal, especially because all of my googling of the people on the show and their fate (as it came out in 2005) has been fruitless thus far. Strangely, I requested this book through inter-library loan, and the library it came from was the Mang ...more
Kate
Mar 05, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
I really enjoyed this interesting TV series tie-in. It contained a huge amount of information about the Regency period as well as detailing the stilted and difficult relationships that were had between the sexes and classes. The chapter on politics and revolution was particularly interesting. My only criticism would be that there should have been a follow up review of how the participants experiences changed their views of modern society.
Christina Dudley
Feb 06, 2013 Christina Dudley rated it liked it
Never saw the TV show, but I picked this up as research for an upcoming talk. Jago has great background and illustrations, so if you just skip over the bits about 21st century people complaining about the tight clothing and not getting to wear make-up or use a toilet for a few weeks, it's very interesting and educational. Lots of fun for Austen fans.
Melissa
Oct 30, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Mary Birkel
Watched the series and was curious to find out more about the show and the personalities -- the book didn't pan out in that dimension, but certainly contains more than you'd ever want to know about the Regency period!
Simone Collins
Aug 24, 2009 Simone Collins rated it really liked it
It's great to learn about a time period by re-creating it and having people live in it! Quite fun.
Oh, and wow... I am sure glad I didn't live back then!
Lora
Lora rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
RoxAnn
RoxAnn rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Rose Nicholson
Rose Nicholson rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Krissie White
Krissie White rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Thesaura
Thesaura rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Karima
Karima rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Jennim
Jennim rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Sarah W
Sarah W rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Denise Matthess
Denise Matthess rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Melanie Clegg
Melanie Clegg rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2011
Loupie
Loupie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Kelli
Kelli rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Bettye McKee
Bettye McKee rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2014
K-a.
K-a. rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015